C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Reverse (sweetspot) shutdown problem...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
parec7
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Reverse (sweetspot) shutdown problem...please help!

A few days back my 05 manual transmission vette wouldn't accept the reverse shutdown and since I was in a rush I just left it there and the battery was drained due to the car not completely shutting down.

I just went on and got a new battery using my warranty and got the car running. Ever since then I have noticed that there is a sweet spot to where the car will accept that it is in "reverse" and shut down but sometimes I spend hours just trying to find that sweet spot just to turn it off...and I mean hours.

I tried disconnecting the battery while the car is parked outside of my job but the sad thing is that the both times I did that when I reconnected the power to the battery the car will just not start at all. Everything turns on but it will not start. The only way I can get it back on is if I find that sweet spot and let it reverse shut down and after it is off then I can very easily just turn it on.

Any help on how to tackle this problem will be greatly appreciate it. I just hope its not a super expensive fix. :/

Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Pin Seeker
Heel & Toe

Curious...how do you know if it accepts the R shut down or not? Is there any indication (sound, signal,etc.)?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:34 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I dont know how it works but there must be a switch under the shifter that is sticking or failing or maybe the column lock is giving up. Just a guess.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM
parec7
2nd Gear

I know it accepts it because there is a clicking sound that appears to come from somewhere around the dashboard like behind the stereo or something. I always get the sound but if I miss it by a hair then it won't finalize the shutdown. I just tried it with a new battery but the car won't start unless it went thru the shutdown process. Do u guys know if I start pushing the car to get some motion will it help turn it on?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:16 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Can't help with getting it started but AFAIK it has to be properly shut down first.

When you do get it going, check to see if your back up lights work. The problem could be a bad back up light switch. Check this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ht-switch.html

Then there is the switch on the trans that signals the BCM that the car is shut down but that is less likely the culprit.

Let us know what happens.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your shifter bushings are torn or warped causing the shifter box to be mis-aligned. My bushings were torn. I had Top Flight Corvette in San Diego change them to teflon bushings. Won't ever tear again.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Brockman66
Racer

You'll also know because the DIC will say "Shift To Reverse".
Old 10-17-2013, 01:06 PM
SBEd
2nd Gear

Default Shift to reverse

The same thing happened to my '05 C6. After almost two weeks at the dealer, it turned out to be a faulty EM module that somehow got water in it. After replacing it and a few relays, the problem was solved for good. Not cheap, but fixed for good.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:00 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brockman66
You'll also know because the DIC will say "Shift To Reverse".
I agree, sound like it's time for a MGW shifter kit
Old 10-17-2013, 04:14 PM
mophead
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you addressed the steering column lock issue of the 05 model? That may be the sound you are hearing. Corvettes of Houston sells a column lock bypass that is highly recommended that will cure that. I have one on my 05.
I had the same issue on my car where the battery would be run down and I thought I was getting it in reverse when it probably wasn't in like it needed it to be.

I bought a Priority Start and put on mine and haven't had a dead battery since. http://www.prioritystart.com/

Tried working with the Chevy service people who frequent the board here and they could never tell me whether the car had been serviced for any of this or not so just did what others on the board here have done.

If you haven't addressed the column lock thing you should. That puppy locks down on you away from home and you are talking MONDO money to get it back home. Just a little carryover from the C5 era that was cured from 06 on.

If its any consolation, 05 C6's are the fastest.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mophead
Have you addressed the steering column lock issue of the 05 model? That may be the sound you are hearing. Corvettes of Houston sells a column lock bypass that is highly recommended that will cure that. I have one on my 05.
I had the same issue on my car where the battery would be run down and I thought I was getting it in reverse when it probably wasn't in like it needed it to be.

I bought a Priority Start and put on mine and haven't had a dead battery since. http://www.prioritystart.com/

Tried working with the Chevy service people who frequent the board here and they could never tell me whether the car had been serviced for any of this or not so just did what others on the board here have done.

If you haven't addressed the column lock thing you should. That puppy locks down on you away from home and you are talking MONDO money to get it back home. Just a little carryover from the C5 era that was cured from 06 on.

If its any consolation, 05 C6's are the fastest.

Same thing i was thinking. Victor (the one who builds the CLE) quit vettes of Houston. But I think they still sell it there. My car was the test bed for the CLE. Over 2years. N no problem at all
Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by parec7
I know it accepts it because there is a clicking sound that appears to come from somewhere around the dashboard like behind the stereo or something. I always get the sound but if I miss it by a hair then it won't finalize the shutdown. I just tried it with a new battery but the car won't start unless it went thru the shutdown process. Do u guys know if I start pushing the car to get some motion will it help turn it on?
Not sure a pop start would work on these cars because there is no physical key in an ignition.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

If the car doesn't properly go into reverse the horn will tell you. There is no "sweet spot", it's either in reverse or it's not.

Get notified of new replies

To '05 Reverse (sweetspot) shutdown problem...please help!

Quick Reply: '05 Reverse (sweetspot) shutdown problem...please help!