C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on removing the rubber/plastic lip under nose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

It is designed to wear and is not unusual for it to rub. I have replaced two of them since I bought the car new 1/07. The function is to get air into the radiator and to smooth out the flow of air under the car so there is less turbulence under the vehicle.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
It is designed to wear and is not unusual for it to rub. I have replaced two of them since I bought the car new 1/07. The function is to get air into the radiator and to smooth out the flow of air under the car so there is less turbulence under the vehicle.
Does this not help downforce?
I remember going for a ride in a 67 and the front wheels would come off the ground at high speeds.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it's less rubbing ad more grating and buckling sound in reverse especially (after going in fwd)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM
nightrider388
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people remove them, and it does make it seem like it has a lot more clearance. But that is the point of the thing too to warn you of clearance. It takes the damage and is cheap to replace. Others do as they have told you, trim it off etc.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
It's a Vette. It draws attention sitting in a parking lot. If someone doesn't want any attention, they should be driving a white Camry, not a Vette.

I used to drive a white Camry... now I drive a white 'Vette!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The man is correct , it's there to direct air to radiator.. I wouldn't remove it. Maybe trim an inch. Mine scrapes also on my driveway just go real slow. Replace when it's cracked or worn. Real easy to change

QUOTE=Turbo6TA;1584726657]I don't think that flimsy 3-piece rubbeair dam is going to keep anything from "lifting".

I believe it is there to help direct air up into the radiator, and is needed for cooling.

If it scrapes all the time, I guess you could shave maybe in inch off it so it would not set so low. Removing it is a bad idea.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I think the 3-piece air dam is hinged (or designed to fold backwards at any rate), and then if flops back down after you've cleared the driveway bump. Could be only the center part has this feature. I just go slowly and try to approach at an angle. Mine also scrapes at the bottom of a hill, which intersects my street. There's even one especially high manhole cover in my neighborhood that clips my air dam if I drive over it. So I just go around it.

Our Cadillac ATS also scrapes on the driveway.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no issue if it scrapes. It's meant to move and scrape. It's main function is to have cool air flow over the radiator. If you're in a hot environment you will notice if it's gone. Otherwise you can remove it if you are so inclined.

You can trim it down slightly if needed. My cars radiator support is lower due to the supercharger and I ended up getting a plastic gutter guard piece from Home Depot and trimmed it to fit. Works just fine but it does scrape a lot... even under hard braking. Been working great for months now when the stock piece ripped apart within a few weeks.

This isn't my video. I've seen it posted here before but have no idea who made it.

The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (05-17-2017)
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Kadorja

Thanks for the clip!

I love the madness!!!

Only a Car nut will know that we need a video to document this issue !
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 283 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by truckplay
i got into a huge discussion over those 3 rubber pieces about a month ago. some claim that they create lift a speed, i don't believe it since they don't on my coupe (i took them off & tried it) they are there to direct air into the radiator.
you can trim them if you want or just SLOWLY BACK into your driveway. they are rubber and will fold and yes RUB will will not get damaged.
on wide body cars the lower air dam does get damaged especially the CF piece & that is expenssive. some have used planks of wood as a ramp if the transition is too great.
I use 3 foot long 2X12's. Place at the end of driveway and back in, problem solved. Yeah, sometimes it's a hassle, but small inconvenience for a great looking car
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 PM
05C6B4U
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jitsu
This is what I did. When I bought the car one of the side pieces was damaged so I removed it along with the other side with the intent of replacing. I left the middle piece in place since it does direct airflow up into the radiator. I've not had any issues and my coolant/engine temps have remained the same. I've been driving it with the side pieces removed for a few months no with no problems but will eventually install new pieces.
Same here. Sides are removed, middle piece remained in place. No problems with over-heating or front-end lifting. I did it 1 year ago. Got tired of buying / fixing side pieces.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's there for a reason... leave it on and let it scrape. If it gets all beat up after a couple years, buy a new one.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Dogbrother
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Im going to trim mine this weekend.... I have to go in my driveway and parking lot entrances at 45 deg angles lol
Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
It has nothing to do with downforce. It is important for cooling. Do not remove it. It's a wear item. It scrapes. It's cheap and easy to replace if it needs it. Removing or trimming it is a bad idea. Given all of that I don't understand the obsession some have with it rubbing and the lengths people will go to to stop it from rubbing. It doesn't hurt anything then it rubs.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Shawn S
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine scrapes when I pull out of my driveway every day.
Over the last six years it’s gotten quieter and quieter as it has slowly worn the two end pieces down a bit.
A few weeks ago I hit a “road gator” and it completely ripped off both ends.
I installed two new pieces and now it’s really loud again when it hits.
But they will slowly wear away I suppose.

Besides cooling the radiator, the openings for the cooling ducts to the front brakes are just in front of the piece.
You can see them clearly in that video posted above.
As air hits the vertical surface, it’s directed up into the cooling ducts.
If you remove the side pieces, the air will go right by the opening. I wouldn’t remove them.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by St.Char
I use 3 foot long 2X12's. Place at the end of driveway and back in, problem solved. Yeah, sometimes it's a hassle, but small inconvenience for a great looking car
I use a 10 foot long 2X12 in the gutter at the end of my driveway. One board member of the HOA is giving me a hard time about it, but I refuse to remove it. Just painted it today.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

i took the two outer ones and kept the one in the middle for the radiator...no more scraping noises..

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on removing the rubber/plastic lip under nose?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Eric G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the interest of clearing up confusion, the OP is referring to the air dam under the car, NOT the front splitter on GS/Z06/ZR1.

I do not know about the coupe/convertible/GS, but the air dam under the car does nothing to improve cooling through the radiator of the Z06 as all radiator airflow comes in from the front of the car, not underneath like C5 corvettes/4th gen Camaros/Firebirds. Im not entirely sure of the aerodynamic benefits of the airdam otherwise, I've heard it suggested it is needed to ensure positive pressure at the inlet of the brake ducts. I don't fully buy it. It is interesting to note that Katech's front splitter kit fully smoothes out and deletes the air dam resulting in net downforce at the front of the car, not just lift reduction. That kit also reducts the brakes as well.

The front splitter, on the other hand, decreases front end lift. This part also occasionally scrapes (every time in my driveway )
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

After removing it,if you hear any scraping it ain't gonna be a good thing. lol
Old 08-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Don-Vette

After removing it, if you hear any scraping, it ain't gonna be a good thing. lol
. . Got that right!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on removing the rubber/plastic lip under nose?