C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the corvette learn?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:34 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Does the corvette learn?

In regards to my SAAB I was once told that the car learns your driving habits and adjusts the throttle response and shift points based on your habits.

Does this corvette do that? Is that even a thing or was I fooled?

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 05-02-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

I've never heard of that. The C7 might, but not the C6
Old 05-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I believe I read somewhere that the C6 does do that. Not sure that I've ever felt anything on my '05' though. I pretty much drive it the same way all the time anyway.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:00 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
I believe I read somewhere that the C6 does do that. Not sure that I've ever felt anything on my '05' though. I pretty much drive it the same way all the time anyway.
The main reason I asked is because I bought a used corvette and a swear when I got it the car and I was driving at a consistent spwed it would sit at 2500 rpms instead of shifting to the next gear. Now it feels like it will shift and run around 1500 rpm.

I was trying to find out if I'm just getting use to the car and it is all in my head or if it really is changing.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
The main reason I asked is because I bought a used corvette and a swear when I got it the car and I was driving at a consistent spwed it would sit at 2500 rpms instead of shifting to the next gear. Now it feels like it will shift and run around 1500 rpm.

I was trying to find out if I'm just getting use to the car and it is all in my head or if it really is changing.
Shift points aren't going to change on their own.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:07 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Shift points aren't going to change on their own.
I forgot to mention I have the A6.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
I forgot to mention I have the A6.
They're still not going to change on their own. That has to be programmed using something like HP Tuners.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:34 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
They're still not going to change on their own. That has to be programmed using something like HP Tuners.
I thought you meant the gears aren't going to change on their own as in I have a manual and I have to shift the gears.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:07 PM
electric_yogurt
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, yes, the A6 does learn.

You have to drive around in S mode though, and not touch the paddle shifters. In S mode, the car drives like an auto if you don't touch the paddle shifters.

In that condition it will learn your driving habits, ie acceleration trends, and adjust the shift mapping accordingly for when you go back and drive in full auto D mode.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:26 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

I feel dumb now I dogs some more searching on the forums and found this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/1822706-a6-adaptive-programming-paddle-shifters-come-in.html

I used some of the wording from the previews pOster to find it.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:38 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by electric_yogurt
Actually, yes, the A6 does learn.

You have to drive around in S mode though, and not touch the paddle shifters. In S mode, the car drives like an auto if you don't touch the paddle shifters.

In that condition it will learn your driving habits, ie acceleration trends, and adjust the shift mapping accordingly for when you go back and drive in full auto D mode.
That's what I've always heard and also believe to be the case. I drive with mine in S all the time, and have only used the paddles a couple of times since I've had the car.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:20 AM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

****, I thought you had to use the paddles in S mode. Now I'll have to try that.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:26 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

D is the learning mode, not S mode.

Here's the link OP found. It explains "Adaptive Programming" and what's going on with the A6. Very old thread and seldom discussed.

forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-tech-performance/1822706-a6-adaptive-programming-paddle-shifters-come-in.html
Old 05-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

I think I'll try that.

Last edited by Zero_6; 05-03-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:15 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
D is the learning mode, not S mode.

Here's the link OP found. It explains "Adaptive Programming" and what's going on with the A6. Very old thread and seldom discussed.

forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-tech-performance/1822706-a6-adaptive-programming-paddle-shifters-come-in.html
Very much worth reviving. I don't know that many of us newer corvette owners knew this. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

FYI** As soon as I was off the dyno last month driving home the a6 was acting WAY strange
Was not down shifting, paddles wouldn't work just a big X in the HUD, nothing. So back I go, since the tuner didn't mess with the trans settings at all since I don't race it, we went out and sure enough it did it again, thankfully.
So he called a guy who he shares info with about tuning who is an expert on tranny's. Told us to shut it off, start up, then shift into "D" and let it go thru its normal patterns 3-4 times, that it had to learn again.
Sure enough all went back to normal
learn something everyday
NSF
Old 05-05-2017, 07:36 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This year upgraded from a C5 A4 to a C6 A6. Both 3LT convertibles. Really liking it. Enjoying the 50 additional horsepower, the Z51, and two extra gears and the paddles!

But I have a question about A6 Sport-Auto mode! It's a sport Auto til you start using the paddles. Correct? I get that. But once I start using the Paddles, I have to keep using the paddles til I switch to D and then S again!
Is there a more convenient method (maybe using the Paddles????) to get from Paddling back into Sport-Auto mode?

Also, someone wrote that Dealers will reflash it for Free? is that always true based on an official policy, or is it just hit or miss?
Thanks in advance!
So far I've replaced some fluids, done the XM-AUX and the 3/4" bored muffler's mods based on info from this site! Great Forum!

Get notified of new replies

To Does the corvette learn?

Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_engr
This year upgraded from a C5 A4 to a C6 A6. Both 3LT convertibles. Really liking it. Enjoying the 50 additional horsepower, the Z51, and two extra gears and the paddles!

But I have a question about A6 Sport-Auto mode! It's a sport Auto til you start using the paddles. Correct? I get that. But once I start using the Paddles, I have to keep using the paddles til I switch to D and then S again!
Is there a more convenient method (maybe using the Paddles????) to get from Paddling back into Sport-Auto mode?
!
The A6 was revised in 2010 to make it easier to return to full automatic mode. Before that, it would be necessary to move shifter to D.
I don't believe dealers can "flash" the older trannies to work like this.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:37 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Great info. What exactly was the 2010 S-D-S revision? Anyone know the specifics of C6 A6 enough to outline what a 2007 S-D-S move actuates??? Gotta be a contact switch?? Right?

What I'm thinking is a MOD to add a momentary electrical button to center console that would trip the Tranny to go back into Auto-S mode without pushing the shifter around! So I would leave the shifter in Auto-S. Use the paddles a bit, then bump the button to get back to Auto-S again til I use the paddles again.... Maybe use a floor button near dead pedal???
Anyone have info on the electricals or mechanics of the S-D-S shifter movement??
Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_engr
Great info. What exactly was the 2010 S-D-S revision? Anyone know the specifics of C6 A6 enough to outline what a 2007 S-D-S move actuates??? Gotta be a contact switch?? Right?

What I'm thinking is a MOD to add a momentary electrical button to center console that would trip the Tranny to go back into Auto-S mode without pushing the shifter around! So I would leave the shifter in Auto-S. Use the paddles a bit, then bump the button to get back to Auto-S again til I use the paddles again.... Maybe use a floor button near dead pedal???
Anyone have info on the electricals or mechanics of the S-D-S shifter movement??
Mine is a 2008, so I don't have this feature, but,IIRC, one of the paddles had to be pressed and held to return to normal. Perhaps someone who owns one can chime in.

Quick Reply: Does the corvette learn?