C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius won't let me cancel my account!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Sirius won't let me cancel my account!!

So I am currently on the phone with Sirius (going on 30 minutes now). I have spoken to a customer service agent (Justin), his supervisor (Dustin) and they inform me that I CANNOT cancel my Sirius account at the end of my subscription!!!!! My account expires on March 19, 2014 and I HATE their automatic, at the current rate, billing process. So in order to control when I get billed, for the past 8 years I have canceled my service at the end of my subscription period no problem. I just renewed the vette's subscription for 6 months at $25 and called the next day to have it cancel at the end of the subscription period (18 Sept) no problem at all. I call today and now all of a sudden they can't cancel my wife's jeep at the end of the subscription???????????????????????????? ?? What kind of shady business practice do these guys run!!!???? The "supervisor" Dustin actually said that it is bad business practice to allow a customer to cancel their subscription when they want to. They have to do it a WEEK before the expire/rebill date only. Then he said that the people that have been doing that for me (remember for 8 years now) would not have a job tomorrow.

Really??????? How can a company operate like this????? I am emailing Sirius/XM as well on this one just to give them a heads up.

Has anyone else had this issue?? I purchased a product for 1 year. I want to cancel said product after my 1 year and they won't let me! I'm not asking for money or extra subscription time, I just don't want to have automatic billing (at whatever the current billing rate may be)
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garbage company, with a product that borders on garbage.

I'm done buying _ANYTHING_ that I have to call and cancel. If I signed up online, why can't I cancel online? There outta be a law!
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

call your credit card company and tell them not to pay them, and call back xm and speak to other people, ask for higher supervisors... eventually someone will cancel it, they cant steal your money.... Their getting worse and worse...
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like just another way to have the account renew when someone forgets the one week window they have to cancel come up........kind of shady, but thanks for the heads up as I was planning to renew my wife's Sirius on her Jeep when the free year is up.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Talk to your CC company. If the CC company can't prevent the charge, close out that account number and open another.

I make it a practice to never give a CC number to a company that bills like this, including OnStar. When the subscription expires, I either renew or cancel and forget it. If they won't "let" you cancel, send a registered letter and be done with it.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by wrh3
Sounds like just another way to have the account renew when someone forgets the one week window they have to cancel come up........kind of shady, but thanks for the heads up as I was planning to renew my wife's Sirius on her Jeep when the free year is up.

With todays technology, there is no reason one can't go online to cancel, suspend or change your account, just like Netflix. The one and only reason they do it the way they do is to make it hard and inconvenient. I will never do business with them.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I would remind them of their Terms of Use and you CAN cancel.

Your Subscription may automatically renew under this Agreement. Your Subscription will continue for the length of the initial term you select on your plan and at the end of your prepaid Subscription, it will automatically renew for additional prepaid periods of the same length unless you choose to cancel prior to that renewal, by calling us at 1-866-635-2349. Your account will automatically be charged (or you will be billed, as applicable) at the rates in effect at the time of renewal.
PLEASE READ THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE ACCESSING OR USING THE SITE OR THE SERVICE. BY ACCESSING OR USING THE SITE OR THE SERVICE, YOU AGREE TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE SITE OR THE SERVICE IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS AGREEMENT.
IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY AND WE WILL CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION. IF YOU DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WITHIN THREE BUSINESS DAYS OF THE START OF YOUR PLAN, IT WILL MEAN THAT YOU AGREE TO THIS AGREEMENT WHICH WILL BE LEGALLY BINDING ON YOU.
Our Privacy Policy governs the treatment by us of both anonymous and personally identifiable information that we collect when you use the Site or the Service and when you provide information to us in any medium for the Service, or any other services we may offer. Be sure to read our Privacy Policy which is found at www.siriusxm.com/privacypolicy.
A. LISTENER CARE - CONTACT INFORMATION: A listener care center (“Listener Care”) is available to subscribers and others. You may contact Listener Care by calling 1-888-539-7474 Monday through Saturday from 8:00 AM through 11:00 PM ET and Sunday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET, or by writing to: SiriusXM, P.O. Box 33174, Detroit, MI 48232, Attention: Listener Care.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Tell them you sold the car.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Tell them you sold the car.
Yep, that's what I did. Then they tried to get me to switch the sub to my new car. Told them I didn't have a new car. How bout when I do get a new car. Told them I drive my wifes car and she has her own sub. Then they tried to get me to sub to home service. Told them I already had it with Dish network. They finally agreed to cancel the sub and this was 2 days AFTER it had already renewed. Got a refund a week later. What a PITA.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

My 1 year free ended yesterday in my Jeep. I never answered one of their 100 calls the last 2 months, never replied to one of their 20 letters. It just shut off.
Hopefully they will leave me alone, if not, they will get my bad side.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I would remind them of their Terms of Use and you CAN cancel.

Your Subscription may automatically renew under this Agreement. Your Subscription will continue for the length of the initial term you select on your plan and at the end of your prepaid Subscription, it will automatically renew for additional prepaid periods of the same length unless you choose to cancel prior to that renewal, by calling us at 1-866-635-2349. Your account will automatically be charged (or you will be billed, as applicable) at the rates in effect at the time of renewal.
PLEASE READ THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE ACCESSING OR USING THE SITE OR THE SERVICE. BY ACCESSING OR USING THE SITE OR THE SERVICE, YOU AGREE TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE SITE OR THE SERVICE IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS AGREEMENT.
IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY AND WE WILL CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION. IF YOU DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WITHIN THREE BUSINESS DAYS OF THE START OF YOUR PLAN, IT WILL MEAN THAT YOU AGREE TO THIS AGREEMENT WHICH WILL BE LEGALLY BINDING ON YOU.
Our Privacy Policy governs the treatment by us of both anonymous and personally identifiable information that we collect when you use the Site or the Service and when you provide information to us in any medium for the Service, or any other services we may offer. Be sure to read our Privacy Policy which is found at www.siriusxm.com/privacypolicy.
A. LISTENER CARE - CONTACT INFORMATION: A listener care center (“Listener Care”) is available to subscribers and others. You may contact Listener Care by calling 1-888-539-7474 Monday through Saturday from 8:00 AM through 11:00 PM ET and Sunday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET, or by writing to: SiriusXM, P.O. Box 33174, Detroit, MI 48232, Attention: Listener Care.
Great info! I will definitely let them know. As an after action report, after we finished finally getting the situation resolved (I talked to a the supervisor's supervisor) they annotated in the system to deactivate the account on the appropriate date and set me up for invoice delivery (a $2.00 charge that was waived). So in case for some reason the service does not terminate at the appropriate time, then I will receive that invoice to remind me to chew some a$$ on the phone. I also filed a complaint against the 2 customer service reps I spoke to and sent an email to customer care requesting a written transcript of the phone call in case any future action must be taken against them. They won't send you an audio of the phone call unless a judge signs off on it apparently. What a bunch of crooked bastards. Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else. The funny thing is that I have NEVER had this problem in the past as the other service agents just set up my system to shut off at the appropriate time. These guys btw do get paid for keeping accounts from canceling. They call it "pay out". Ask them about it next time anyone talks to one of these snakes.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

INHO - the only way to fly with them is to pay only by check or money order. The same is true for any automatic renewal subscription services. Puts all the control in your hands rather then theirs.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Sirius XM has been bought out by Liberty media. The old CEO, Mel Karmazin is out and Liberty is now running things with a new board. I would expect several changes. Some good, some bad.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
hankg42
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
INHO - the only way to fly with them is to pay only by check or money order. The same is true for any automatic renewal subscription services. Puts all the control in your hands rather then theirs.
I recently renewed via the mailed in form and a check. The form actually states that they CAN renew automatically if you pay by check. I sure hope they don't attempt that!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by hankg42
I recently renewed via the mailed in form and a check. The form actually states that they CAN renew automatically if you pay by check. I sure hope they don't attempt that!
what they do is mail you a bill, if you dont pay it and don't cancel they will send you to collections.
It is automatically renewed whether you paid by check or credit card.
So if you don't want to renew, make sure you call a month before it is due for renewal otherwise you will have issues.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM
hankg42
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what they do is mail you a bill, if you dont pay it and don't cancel they will send you to collections.
So if you don't want to renew, make sure you call a month before it is due for renewal otherwise you will have issues.
Got it. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Hey Sirius!!!!!

This is exactly the reason I will listen to AM radio rather that subscribe to your service. I will link Pandora via my PCS before I would pay you a dime.

Get notified of new replies

To Sirius won't let me cancel my account!!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM
SEVETGO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Could not agree more, never pay the going rate right now the bragain rate is $25.00 for six month
Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good Grief - that's horrible. I did not know about the auto renewal with payment by check. Thanks for sharing . . .
Old 03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
Default S/XM don't care !!

Originally Posted by DrivnXcitment
So I am currently on the phone with Sirius (going on 30 minutes now). I have spoken to a customer service agent (Justin), his supervisor (Dustin) and they inform me that I CANNOT cancel my Sirius account at the end of my subscription!!!!! My account expires on March 19, 2014 and I HATE their automatic, at the current rate, billing process. So in order to control when I get billed, for the past 8 years I have canceled my service at the end of my subscription period no problem. I just renewed the vette's subscription for 6 months at $25 and called the next day to have it cancel at the end of the subscription period (18 Sept) no problem at all. I call today and now all of a sudden they can't cancel my wife's jeep at the end of the subscription???????????????????????????? ?? What kind of shady business practice do these guys run!!!???? The "supervisor" Dustin actually said that it is bad business practice to allow a customer to cancel their subscription when they want to. They have to do it a WEEK before the expire/rebill date only. Then he said that the people that have been doing that for me (remember for 8 years now) would not have a job tomorrow.

Really??????? How can a company operate like this????? I am emailing Sirius/XM as well on this one just to give them a heads up.

Has anyone else had this issue?? I purchased a product for 1 year. I want to cancel said product after my 1 year and they won't let me! I'm not asking for money or extra subscription time, I just don't want to have automatic billing (at whatever the current billing rate may be)
I have S/XM since day 1, NEVER give them your credit card #
always request to be billed through the US Mail & send them a check. I feel your pain as I learned the hard way & ended up cancelling my credit card so they could not auto bill me, they will auto bill you even after you sell the car !!! THEY DON'T CARE PERIOD !!!

Quick Reply: Sirius won't let me cancel my account!!