C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blackouts and the police

Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 AM
recentlydivorced
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default blackouts and the police

I was told tonight at a car get together that some LEO's do not like the blackouts for the brake lights due to the reduced illumination and will target cars with them. Anyone have that experience?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 AM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 867 Likes on 371 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

It's not that LEOs "don't like them" it's the fact they are illegal in some states. If you check the products you will probably see warnings such as: "Daytime Use Only" or "Check Local Laws Before Installation."
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

that and its a good way to get rear ended.....I had them on my 99 for awhile years ago....while they may look good they really do block a lot of your tail lights during the day
Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

First check and see what your state and local traffic laws say. Second as already stated, they do block a lot of the light so in my opinion day or night they could be an issue and actually more in the daytime. At least ay night you can see the slight difference from the normal light illumination from the tail light and the difference when you apply the brakes. Also there is the issue if you are rear ended and the blackouts are illegal the insurance may not cover you, or at least you may be in for a fight with the insurance company.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

With the number of people texting and talking on cell phones and now staring at GPS screens why in the world would you want to diminish tail/brake light illumination?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickey5
With the number of people texting and talking on cell phones and now staring at GPS screens why in the world would you want to diminish tail/brake light illumination?
Scary enough out there.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 AM
AddisonD
Pro

They don't look right. Simple as that.
It's like deciding you don't like the color of the sky and want to get a set of goggles to make it look red. Waste of time, money, and emotion.

If I was a cop, I'd fit your opening profile.
I dont like them.
I'd stop a car with black outs every chance I had.

Last edited by AddisonD; 08-25-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by AddisonD
They don't look right. Simple as that.
It's like deciding you don't like the color of the sky and want to get a set of goggles to make it look red. Waste of time, money, and emotion.

If I was a cop, I'd fit your opening profile.
I dont like them.
I'd stop a car with black outs every chance I had.

I'm glad you are not a cop.

Had mine painted for 5 yrs and have only been stopped once. No ticket, he was fishing. 107,000 miles and no close calls at all.
Paint blocks less light than the covers and reflects the correct light as the law requires.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 AM
AddisonD
Pro

Originally Posted by wayback
I'm glad you are not a cop.
Have no concern. I'd be a lousy cop.
And I'd be scared sh*tless to stop a car, especially at night, and be hoping that the driver was reasonable.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

[QUOTE=mickey5;1584755006]With the number of people texting and talking on cell phones and now staring at GPS screens why in the world would you want to diminish tail/brake light illumination?[/Q

You do make a good point, and I'm not really a fan of blacked out tail lights.

However you could make a case of why do you tint your windows? wouldn't you want to see as much around you while driving as you possibly can without any obstruction? Just sayin.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

These have since been replaced with the angel eyes LEDs that I also had tinted. Mine are pretty bright even with the tint. I love the way the markers/lights look, especially on the black cars. I've never been pulled over and they were tinted when the car had 23 miles on it. I now have 4200 and have seen a hundred Leo's, none of which have ever made an issue. They do compliment me on the car though when I see them at gas stations,etc.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Slammin07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AddisonD
Have no concern. I'd be a lousy cop.
And I'd be scared sh*tless to stop a car, especially at night, and be hoping that the driver was reasonable.
Any patrolman who says they weren't nervous as sh*t during their first traffic stop is a liar. The first couple times I pulled someone over, I was probably more nervous than the person I was citing. So yeah, when the entire contents of your glove box falls onto the floor board, you're not entirely sure you have your license with you, or you're almost certain that your car is going to be towed because you were doing more than 25 over, just multiply that by ten and that's about what a rookie police officer feels like.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99

that and its a good way to get rear ended.....I had them on my 99 for awhile years ago....while they may look good they really do block a lot of your tail lights during the day

I have seen that a few times, both trucks & cars.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
First check and see what your state and local traffic laws say. Second as already stated, they do block a lot of the light so in my opinion day or night they could be an issue and actually more in the daytime. At least ay night you can see the slight difference from the normal light illumination from the tail light and the difference when you apply the brakes. Also there is the issue if you are rear ended and the blackouts are illegal the insurance may not cover you, or at least you may be in for a fight with the insurance company.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

If your going to black out your rear lights I highly suggest replacing them with the LED tail lights. They are much brighter and shine thru the tint brighter than stock with no tint. Plus the LEDs will last far longer than a bulb.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

[QUOTE=pokerpro;1584755163]
Originally Posted by mickey5
With the number of people texting and talking on cell phones and now staring at GPS screens why in the world would you want to diminish tail/brake light illumination?[/Q

You do make a good point, and I'm not really a fan of blacked out tail lights.

However you could make a case of why do you tint your windows? wouldn't you want to see as much around you while driving as you possibly can without any obstruction? Just sayin.
I have a problem with other people's cars that have tinted windows. How many times have you been driving down the street/road and a car with dark driver's windows are waiting to pull out onto the street you are driving on. You can't see the driver to see if he see's you. Many times I have seen a driver not paying attention(with no window tint) and with me being able to see that he is more interested in his phone, etc, then me and he pulls out in front of me, I have taken evasion action to prevent an accident.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rsssguy

These have since been replaced with the angel eyes LEDs that I also had tinted. Mine are pretty bright even with the tint. I love the way the markers/lights look, especially on the black cars. I've never been pulled over and they were tinted when the car had 23 miles on it. I now have 4200 and have seen a hundred Leo's, none of which have ever made an issue. They do compliment me on the car though when I see them at gas stations,etc.
Im diggin' that blue sticker on the left side of your plate brother...

Get notified of new replies

To blackouts and the police

Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Slammin07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BWF07
...Also there is the issue if you are rear ended and the blackouts are illegal the insurance may not cover you, or at least you may be in for a fight with the insurance company.

Well meaning folks are always giving insurance advice which is rarely factual. Illegal or not, I have never seen an exclusion in any first party insurance policy, (and I've worked in about 30 states), regarding this subject.

I'd like to see a reputable link to even one case in which an insurance company refused to pay a first party "Collision Loss", because the insured created liability with tail lights that were not as bright as stock lights. Even one case in which the carrier gave the insured a hard time before paying. One link please!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Well meaning folks are always giving insurance advice which is rarely factual. Illegal or not, I have never seen an exclusion in any first party insurance policy, (and I've worked in about 30 states), regarding this subject.

I'd like to see a reputable link to even one case in which an insurance company refused to pay a first party "Collision Loss", because the insured created liability with tail lights that were not as bright as stock lights. Even one case in which the carrier gave the insured a hard time before paying. One link please!

My wife is in insurance also and like she say's, no policy has a stupid clause. As long as someone didn't commit fraud, the insurance company is required to pay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blackouts and the police