C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock removal in rocker panels with side skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 PM
radchad3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rock removal in rocker panels with side skirts?

Hello all! I know of the common problem with rocks in between the body panels just below the rear break duct. I know how to do the fix on the regular z06. How do you get the rocks out on a car with the side skirts. The appears to be one bolt but then the rest seem to have a proprietary head/rivot. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I very carefully pulled mine apart with a flat head screwdriver just to widen the gap and used a crevice attachment with my vacuum. Those little pebbles are a pain to get out... How the hell do they get in there?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

There are 4 torch screws in the front side of the wheel well. The bottom two hold that piece in place. Unscrew it slightly (not all of way) it will loosen up enough to pull it out and release the rocks.

After you clean them out, go get 1/4 foam auto tape. Put it in the wheel well space, and slide some in the rocker space. Problem solved.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

remove this screw in front of the rear tire and pullout top panel a little to blow out the stones...

Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM
radchad3
Instructor

Thanks Don for the pics but I have the sideskirts and there are more screws than just the one. Valley: I am not familiar with torch screws. DO you mean torx screws? If so these look different. I don't have a driver for whatever these are. I thought I read somewhere they are actually rivets. I could be wrong though.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by radchad3
Thanks Don for the pics but I have the sideskirts and there are more screws than just the one. Valley: I am not familiar with torch screws. DO you mean torx screws? If so these look different. I don't have a driver for whatever these are. I thought I read somewhere they are actually rivets. I could be wrong though.
Yes, GM uses rivets to hold the vertical skirt in place when side skirts are installed. I have a non GM set of side skirts installed on my Z06 and I had a choice of using bolts or rivets. For the GM installation I think there is one bolt that goes in the normal non side skirt location plus 4 or 5 rivets. You have to drill out the rivets and reinstall them once you get the stones cleaned out and the back side of the joint sealed so more stones can't get in.

While you have the vertical piece removed you should check the GM TSBs. There is a TSB that affects the GM installation. It tells the mechanic if a Customer complains about stones appearing between the vertical skirt and the wheel well edge to remove the vertical part and install two sided tape to seal between the skirt and the edge of the wheel well.

Bill
Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 PM
radchad3
Instructor

Thanks Bill. Dang! Why would GM do rivets! The job would be so easy if they had just put normal screws in! :/
Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
There are 4 torch screws in the front side of the wheel well. The bottom two hold that piece in place. Unscrew it slightly (not all of way) it will loosen up enough to pull it out and release the rocks.

After you clean them out, go get 1/4 foam auto tape. Put it in the wheel well space, and slide some in the rocker space. Problem solved.
This, but I believe I was able to use a regular old 7mm socket to get my one screw of.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i found and saved/downloaded a nice write up w pictures about this which i have as a word and a pdf file (3 pages) but don't know how to post these up???

funny enough i had it for a long time and just the last holiday weekend i got around and added the foam tape.

Get notified of new replies

To Rock removal in rocker panels with side skirts?

Quick Reply: Rock removal in rocker panels with side skirts?