C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction control question

Old 11-10-2013, 09:46 AM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Default traction control question

This 427 is my first really powerful car. Iv'e driven a bunch of fast cars in a sunday Groupon special. Lambo's, Mustang 500GT, Ferrari, Audi R8, etc, and a Caymen R. None of these seem as crazy fast and powerful as my vette, and the TC's seemed to do more. My question is the amount of traction control that the vette has. I can step on the gas and bring the rear around at will. Shouldn't the TC stop this from happening in street, full TC mode?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Farmdawg
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK if you gotta do it. Press the traction control button twice or for five seconds. Driver display will say something like "TRACTION CONTROL ALL OFF" That should REALLY UNLEASH THE BEAST WITHIN. You'll only do that once. After you clean up the mess or Rescue services I.E, E.M.Ts, Fire Dept. and Local Police clean it up. They don't call it the “SPIN CYCLE” for nothing. AH! What the HELL put a Go Pro on and post it back up here. Well maybe you shouldn’t do that just yet. But yes even with the traction control system on it will come around on ya. Competition mode is the best mode for that style of driving. Last one, WHY in world would you want to do that?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

TC on will help but not prevent the rear end from breaking loose. Tires and road conditions are also a factor.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Magic Vette
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to wonder about that early on. I do not have the 7.0L, but I do have a supercharger. I think there is a point where the traction control basically says "meh", and gives up somewhat. In other words, there is only so much throttle back and braking that it will do.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:01 PM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yesterday morning went out with top down and heat on. 41 degrees. Barely gunned it around a bend and rear end came around a foot or so before I could let up on gas. Mich ZP tires say don't use under 50 degrees. Ha . fun. Just have been in other performance cars where that would not happen. Was in a Benz convertible once that TC was so obvious that it was almost dangerous the way it shut things down. Don't get me worn, I LOVE this car. Just trying to learn about it.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Go to Mexico where they have those huge parking lots with nothing in them, no light poles, no cars, no parking blocks, just lots and lots of empty spaces. Take the TC off and try it out, get it out of your system. Put the TC back on and drive home normally.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:50 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The TC was more noticeable in My 07 then in my 13 GS. I have asked if this makes sense but it us what I feel.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:12 PM
switchblade six
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the traction control is very "speed sensitive"
if you ever are in a condition of traction loss at higher speed like over a hump and on the gas hard you will get an immediate dead pedal
slow speed traction loss can obviously result in less dangerous results...usually just great expense when met with curbs ect..
Old 11-10-2013, 03:38 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unlike hands off parallel parking options that do everything for you, TC is only there to aide you so you must provide the appropriate input to keep your day from being spoiled.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM
PugVette
Heel & Toe

Glad to see these posts.

I never even see the "Traction Control Active" pop up in the DIC. I, too, can EASILY give it just a little gas & the tires spin. I don't hear them spin, too (weird). Is this because I'm still on the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 EMT's? Can't wait until some Michelin Pilot Super Sports become available (12/6/2013).

I even notice this if I give it a bit of throttle from like 30mph to "aggressively" go-around some yahoo driver in front of me. The rear end will get a little sideways, but I'm expecting it since I gave it gas quickly.

At which point does the readout say that the traction is doing something?

2009 A6 LS3 w/ NPP
Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 PM
mrhandy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my supercharged 05 out for a run after installing plugs on Sunday.Was stopped at light to turn left.When light changed I mashed on it just a little and felt rearend go a little sideways...actually felt good.Have noticed that when I really punch it,traction control kicks in.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

IMO you always want to shutoff TC before going WOT. Why have the system 'fighting' your efforts to accelerate? You can feather the throttle if need be. For street driving TC is fine (and may even be beneficial) but I think using TC on a road course is dangerous....you expect your car to do one thing and it does something else. FWIW with traction control on (from a dead stop or at lower speeds) I also can seemingly 'over-power' it and light-up my tires.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 AM
PugVette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mrhandy
Took my supercharged 05 out for a run after installing plugs on Sunday.Was stopped at light to turn left.When light changed I mashed on it just a little and felt rearend go a little sideways...actually felt good.Have noticed that when I really punch it,traction control kicks in.
Interesting...

Perhaps I haven't felt the TC because I haven't really punched it from a standstill. And it hasn't rained here in over 6 months (California), so I can't test it in the rain.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

You don't have to be at a standstill, maybe the extra horses of the 427 make a difference, but if I'm in the powerband in first or second gear it will smoke them if I floor it while moving along at 20-30 mph, or there abouts.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I have not yet turned traction control off. I have seen the warning in the DIC when taking a corner under too much throttle and felt the engine shut off. If I turned it off would I expect much more tire spin in my 13GS? I already get it once in a while but for the most part it sticks pretty well. For the record, it has plenty of power as is. Reading this makes me think the power is being retarded with TC on.

Get notified of new replies

To traction control question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: traction control question