C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette owners & Mustang owners difference...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette owners & Mustang owners difference...

Before getting my Corvette I purchased a 2005 stage 1 Roush Mustang. Had it a little over a year before the Vette. When driving the Roush I find that everyone I come across with some sorta of muscle, or ricer, want's to race. Find out how fast the Roush is...Seldom do I get a wave from another Mustang owner or "nice car". Even Vette owners give me the same treatment. But when driving the Vette there isn't another Vette I pass where the owner doesn't wave or want to talk car stuff with me. Granted if I go to a Ford meet or the local Mustang club gathering there's more of a positive response, but yet it's still all about the horsepower. So would you say the Mustang is more of a pride in horsepower and the Vette is more or a prestige vehicle? Showing success in life?? Just some thoughts.

Last edited by bheathcoe_07; 09-16-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,578 Likes on 1,646 Posts

9 out of 10 times some idiot is six inches off my tail wanting to "race", he is in a 5-10 year old Mustang (usually black) and looking a little beat up...

Almost always...Can't figure it out....
Old 09-16-2013, 05:39 PM
manic mike
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I get cars to drive. Period. I could care less about what others think or perceived prestige, etc.

In 2010 I bought a new Shelby GT500 which was stock supercharged. That car was fast in the straights but not stable at high speeds in the twisties in the Colorado mountains where I love to drive. So I sold it a year ago and started looking at Corvettes.

Got the bug real bad when all of the news and promos came out on the C7's. Couldn't wait and bought a C6. It is the best car I have ever owned for the driving I like to do. Not as fast as the Shelby in the straights, but much more versatile. I am a Corvette guy for the rest of my life and I look forward to owning Stingray in the next year or two!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I didn't realize how much bigger a Mustang was in stance compared to the C6 until that pic.
As far as comparison of owners, the Mustang owners are in most cases much younger than vette owners.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I get props and race attempts from all makes and models. Car guys like cars and racers like to race.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:46 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I am not sure it is a horsepower thing between the Mustang and Corvette, or that the Corvette is a prestige vehicle. They are two different cars. The Mustang is a muscle car were as the Corvette is a sports car. I also think that you will find more of the younger generation drives the Mustang, plus there are so many Mustangs on the road, people just don't seem to pay attention to them. Also most of the people out there have no idea what a Roush Mustang is, after all just look at all the different models that Ford offers the Mustang in. It is the same with the Corvette, a vast majority of the people out there have no idea what the difference is in a base 1LT coupe and a Z06 or even a ZR1.

As for the other Corvette drivers waving, that is just the Corvette tradition that has been around for many years.

On a side note, I am not sure if it just the angle of the camera, but that Mustang looks like a tank compared to the Corvette.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM
RockyPM
Intermediate

The Mustang is all about testosterone and hype. The Corvette has the testorserone but it's packaged in a much more dressed up way. It's grown up. As has been said the mustangs seem to have younger drivers and people who need a back seat. By your picture the Corvette is a roadster whereas the Mustang is larger and looks heavier.

Some like the Stangs, some the vettes. I love my vette and most of the people who drive them. Never met an unhappy vette owner on the cruises I've been on!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:56 PM
LAK3RS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I miss the hell out of my old 3V S197! That was a great car.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the Mustangs in concept... like the many appearance options that are available and the sound of the Stang... Now with that said every time I SEE a Stang in the flesh I completely do a turn around...damn things are just way too bulky and heavy... another side by side comparison pic>>

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 09-16-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by bheathcoe_07
So would you say the Mustang is more of a pride in horsepower and the Vette is more or a prestige vehicle? Showing success in life?? Just some thoughts.
Since we have my '08 Vette and the wife's '12 Shelby GT500 SVT vert in the garage I think I'm qualified to answer. I don't think it's either. They're two very different cars. Both have strong and weak points. Vette owners do tend to be older and far more Vettes are kept as garage art and not driven compared to Mustangs. I don't much care about either the Vette wave or the Mustang wave so I don't notice one more than the other. Both are really fun cars to drive.

Originally Posted by manic mike
I get cars to drive. Period. I could care less about what others think or perceived prestige, etc.
SO much this. We bought both of our cars to drive, not get waved at, put in shows, look at in the garage, etc. We drive them both year round here in CO. I catch Hell from Vette owners because of the 'Stang and from Mustang owners because of the Vette. I'm a performance car person, not a brand elitist. That's the main reason we don't belong to either a Vette or a Mustang club.

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I didn't realize how much bigger a Mustang was in stance compared to the C6 until that pic.
It's very misleading. Unless you park them next to each other 99 out of 100 people would say the Vette is longer, when the Mustang is actually almost 18" longer than the C6.

Originally Posted by BWF07
I am not sure it is a horsepower thing between the Mustang and Corvette, or that the Corvette is a prestige vehicle. They are two different cars. The Mustang is a muscle car were as the Corvette is a sports car.
You are spot on.

Originally Posted by RockyPM
The Mustang is all about testosterone and hype.

Hype? The wife's Shelby has over 100 HP and 100 lb-ft more than my Vette, and since it's supercharged it's instant. It's not just hype. If you want to test the hype, let's get your Vette next to the Shelby on the interstate at 100 mph and punch the throttles.

Last edited by Steve_R; 09-16-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are idiot owners of all makes . Dosent stop at mustangs.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

what he said above
Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more comparison. The GT500 is much, much bigger.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
noz34me
Pro

Funny, I like 'em all. I like the Dodge Challenger and the Corvette the best though! However if I had the money and the space to store them, there would be a 5.0 Mustang and a Camaro SS Vert in the stable.

I also wave at 'em all.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Exactly.
Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
I get props and race attempts from all makes and models. Car guys like cars and racers like to race.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
As far as comparison of owners, the Mustang owners are in most cases much younger than vette owners.
Me either. Something must be out of proportion in that picture.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I've always considered the Mustang to be a competitor, or peer if you wish, to the Camaro, not the Corvette. They're in the same ball park pricewise, and both are sporty muscle cars.

The Corvette is a sports car ... doesn't have a back seat ....

And yes, just about every Mustang I see that has two exhaust pipes and makes noise wants to race.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette owners & Mustang owners difference...

Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Older brother - Mustang owner - short, bald, fat and poor.

Me - Corvette owner - tall, thin, only slightly balding, and have a lot more money.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

[

Hype? The wife's Shelby has over 100 HP and 100 lb-ft more than my Vette, and since it's supercharged it's instant. It's not just hype. If you want to test the hype, let's get your Vette next to the Shelby on the interstate at 100 mph and punch the throttles. [/QUOTE]

The Shelby (Snake) Mustang is the top mustang the ZR1 is the top vette both are supercharged punch the throttles at 100 and see what happens. And yes I would love to have a Shelby parked next to my 08 Z06 at home....
Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 AM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aviator
Older brother - Mustang owner - short, bald, fat and poor.

Me - Corvette owner - tall, thin, only slightly balding, and have a lot more money.

Oh, that's all that needed to be said

Seems that the money factor does play a role. Agreed it's usually older more financially stable person driving a Vette, unless of course we are talking about a Super Snake. And a younger more testosterone driven guy driving a Mustang. And I would agree with an earlier statement that not alot of people even know what a Roush Mustang is. For every 20 Vette's I see I might see a Roush Mustang. But as for the Vette being garage kept, nope, drive mine everyday and have 123K miles on it. The 05 Roush has 30K miles and sits in the garage.

Guess in the end we are all car guys and enjoy our rides whether it's a $70K Vette or a $5K Mustang you work on everyday. We still love them.

Quick Reply: Corvette owners & Mustang owners difference...