C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain '06 A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM
trbomike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain '06 A6

I'm going to do some testing this weekend but wondered if anyone knew a common cause for the battery to drain on these cars. I know 05 manuals had a issue.. i know there are alot of electronics on the car, but it shouldn't go dead after 3 days. I figured it might be the battery so i went ahead and changed it.. 3days later.. dead. Any common issues? '06 base automatic
Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

ummmm...I had the same problem, but it was a bad cell in the battery.
I have an 06 A6, and there are no issues like the 05 for a battery drain.
It shouldn't be a bad "new" battery so you must have a draw somewhere. I'd check the obvious, like a vanity mirror light, a rear view mirror light, etc. It could also be a bad or light on under the hood. Unplug to check.
A bad bulb in the rear lights could also cause a draw.

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 09-23-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

No known issues with '06. But some cars just develop issues.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a good discussion of draw, testing and typical results. Good info in post 77 to the end. Good luck:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-syndrome.html
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have an 06 with the A6. No issues with mine and it may sit 7-10 days with no battery tender or start up. The original battery died after three years. My Optima has been installed since 2009.

Do you have an iPod or any other external hook ups (aftermarket alarm, stereo)? My friend's Tahoe's battery would die every 3 days of non-use. We checked voltages against my Avalanche (same options) and found out his iPod was drawing enough to kill the battery after 3 days of non use. We thought at first it was the NAV as you can hear it spool up the disc occasionally without power applied to the vehicle. I leave the NAV discs in all of my cars with no significant draw.

The only other thing I can think of is a bad ground somewhere keeping power applied to something.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Try this see post #590
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...n-long-30.html
Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
ummmm...I had the same problem, but it was a bad cell in the battery.
I have an 06 A6, and there are no issues like the 05 for a battery drain.
It shouldn't be a bad "new" battery so you must have a draw somewhere. I'd check the obvious, like a vanity mirror light, a rear view mirror light, etc. It could also be a bad or light on under the hood. Unplug to check.
A bad bulb in the rear lights could also cause a draw.

Good Luck
Good ideas, but her is an update. Your left knee can easily hit the interior/dimmer switch. I put a thick tight Oring on the switch to keep knee from hitting, hold end of switch and push Oring down toward the dash. I haven't turned mine on with my knee for over 5 years.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Hajie c6
Instructor

I had the same problem will die in 3to 5days. Took it to the dealer said it had to be reprogam. Software need up dating.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
Good ideas, but her is an update. Your left knee can easily hit the interior/dimmer switch. I put a thick tight Oring on the switch to keep knee from hitting, hold end of switch and push Oring down toward the dash. I haven't turned mine on with my knee for over 5 years.
That's a nice mod, but everyone should remember that the interior lights will time out after 10 (?) minutes and so that, by itself, should not drain the battery. But in combination with short trips, could do it.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

New batteries need to be charged before using. Not always true but it's a good idea to charge it before use. A load test is the only way to know if the new battery is good. Even new batteries can be bad.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey Mike,

Did you figure out what was causing the dead battery problem? What did the tests show?

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-29-2013, 06:50 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by victorf
Precisely.

In addition, proper charging method should be at slow charge rate.

Charging rate cannot exceed 10% of battery capacity in order to expect longevity.

Mine is an '05 manual, never encounter any issue, other then not happy with the over engineered battery terminal captivation nut. But I did the homemade Big3 for proactive measure:-

I have ordered an 170 amp to replace the marginal oem alternator to further improve the system.

I like your connections. Where did you get them?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Hajie c6
Instructor

See post # 7
Old 09-30-2013, 06:43 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Battery terminals, wire reducers, marine grade ring terminals, marine grade split loom, marine grade heat shrink and such are commercial.

I made nylon stress relieve sleeve extensions, connected to modified wire reducers (eliminate loose wire ends) fitted into battery terminals ID to ensure smooth wire transition/support and such under the marine heat shrink for a weather tight seal.

Example of marine grade ring terminal with ordinary ring terminal along with homemade nylon stress relieve sleeve extensions:

All wire connections were mechanically crimped to ensure no separation in the event a melt down from an inadvertent short.

However, I am not yet happy. I am looking forward to the 170 amp alternator replacement, to see if I can have the steady 14.5 volts @ idle, instead of the 14.3 volts.

Good information, thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

However, I am not yet happy. I am looking forward to the 170 amp alternator replacement, to see if I can have the steady 14.5 volts @ idle, instead of the 14.3 volts.

What is the stock alternator rated for?

Who makes the 170A replacement?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by trbomike
I'm going to do some testing this weekend but wondered if anyone knew a common cause for the battery to drain on these cars. I know 05 manuals had a issue.. i know there are alot of electronics on the car, but it shouldn't go dead after 3 days. I figured it might be the battery so i went ahead and changed it.. 3days later.. dead. Any common issues? '06 base automatic
must be the battery - you should be good for two weeks on a new battery
Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Mike, have a load test done to your battery. Advance, Autozone, etc., will do it free. Sometimes there are bad new ones.

Take a multi-meter and check for DC current draw at Rest. Give it a few minutes so everything can go to "sleep". It should not pull over 20-25 DC MilliAmps Draw at rest. My '09 pulled 8 DC MilliAmps Draw when i checked it a few years ago as reference.

Your car should be able to go 3 weeks without being driven and have power at start up at that time. I use a maintainer if my car sits for over a couple weeks or disconnect the battery.

Good luck and long live the Turbo Regals.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:27 PM
trbomike
Instructor

fresh battery.. so I did a current draw today.. .3ml amps.. now i'm stumped

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Drain '06 A6

Old 10-05-2013, 09:12 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Did you have a load test done? It's the only way to know if the battery is good. Even new batteries can be bad.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Hajie c6
Instructor

Had to take my 05 to have the software updated. That what the dealer said was killing the battery
Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I have a digital battery tender that shows the percent of charge. I started to see that after a driving the % of charge on the battery was going down till eventually it was at 45%.

Even after the battery tender put a 100% charge on the battery I started to notice that my power top and windows were moving slower, even with the engine running.

I replaced the battery (Optima) and whalaa, the top and windows went up and down at the normal speed and when I come in after driving and hook up my battery tender it reads 95% from the start vs 45% that the dying battery got down to.

In the end, if you have a weak battery, it will effect your car in ways you would not believe....even if the engine is running. My advice to all C6 owners is to purchase a good Battery Tender ( I like those with digital read outs so I can see percent of charge) and make sure all terminal connections are clean and tight, as well as making sure connections on the back of the alternator are clean and tight ( they can come loose too).

Hope this helps,
John

Quick Reply: Battery Drain '06 A6