C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slow leak left rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 AM
sellshort
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default slow leak left rear?

15,000 mile on my oem tires. 2012 TR 3lt GS. I've been told that the OEM run-flats don't last that long. The still have a lot of tread left but I don't want to pump it up every couple days. Should I bring it back to the dealer? Replace just the one tire? Get new Michelins? Could it be the valve? I'm just looking for suggestions, thanks in advance. Bill in San Diego
Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Check the nut at the bottom of the valve. They get loose and then you get a slow leak. Spray some soapy water on it and see if it bubbles.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Runflat options are Michelins or Bridgestones. I have the latter and I'm pleased. Many GS owners never make it to 15K with the oem tire. You might be close. When they go, they go fast. Also, you'll be safer when it starts to rain in Southern California sans the Goodyears.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:54 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gp56
Check the nut at the bottom of the valve. They get loose and then you get a slow leak. Spray some soapy water on it and see if it bubbles.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Had the same problem a few weeks ago the last couple days on a trip from MN back home to WA. In western N. Dakota got up one morning to a low tire pressure warning, L/R. All tires were low at that point due to low over night temps, compared to the upper 90's the tires were inflated to when I left home and during most of the trip. Once again in Whitefish, MT the next morning I got going only to have the low tire pressure warning pop up on the DIC. Found a station and inflated the L/R to 30 psi. Got as far as Wenatchee, WA before it was down 6 lbs. Stopped again and back up to 30 psi. That got me home where I pulled all four tires, inspected and found the L/R had a bolt stuffed through the center tread with the head worn off. Later that week took it to Discount Tire in Wenatchee where they put a plug patch in the hole from the inside at no charge. This was on my Michelin R/F tires.

Be careful not to over tighten the valve stem nut. There is a torque value for it in inch lbs. Just don't recall what that # is.

George
Old 09-30-2013, 12:50 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Jeez, I'm at 13K miles and halfway through a second set of tires on my 2012 GS. At 15K you've had a good run. Tire of choice now seems to be the Bridgestone Runflat. Cheap (relatively) and longer lasting. I went against forum wisdom and stayed with Goodyears on my second set (Gen 2s, though, not Gen 1s). I really like them but I can see that they won't get me much more than 10-12K miles. Bridgstones next for me...

If you have a nail/screw the tire may be reparable. Try that before thinking about new tires.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by George's_Vette
Be careful not to over tighten the valve stem nut. There is a torque value for it in inch lbs. Just don't recall what that # is.

George
It's 61 or 62 INCH pounds. Not much at all.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Jim, for filling in my dead brain cells.

George
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Nail
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 PM
RAVEN007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. Had the tire unmounted then remounted 90 degrees. Solved leak problem.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: "IF" you go the new tire route, take a look at the firestone firehawk wide oval rft, they are a great tire "wet or drt", at a good price. I would buy a new set and then have an alignment. Also I would recommend buying the road hazard for your tires.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
It's 61 or 62 INCH pounds. Not much at all.
Really not much. People have overtightened the nut only to cause a leak in a tire that wasn't leaking to begin with. On the other hand, I tightened one of mine just a little tiny bit that was leaking about 1 pound a week and it solved the issue.

Originally Posted by Gering
OP: "IF" you go the new tire route, take a look at the firestone firehawk wide oval rft, they are a great tire "wet or drt", at a good price. I would buy a new set and then have an alignment. Also I would recommend buying the road hazard for your tires.
The Firehawk is a GREAT tire but Firestone doesn't make one to fit the GS. A 13 GS is very limited in tires because of the P325/30R19 rear tire size and most people would recommend not mixing and matching manufacturers on a performance car. And changing sizes presents a whole different set of issues because of the various traction controls.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Really not much. People have overtightened the nut only to cause a leak in a tire that wasn't leaking to begin with. On the other hand, I tightened one of mine just a little tiny bit that was leaking about 1 pound a week and it solved the issue.

The Firehawk is a GREAT tire but Firestone doesn't make one to fit the GS. A 13 GS is very limited in tires because of the P325/30R19 rear tire size and most people would recommend not mixing and matching manufacturers on a performance car. And changing sizes presents a whole different set of issues because of the various traction controls.
Mannn.... Thanks for the correction, I failed to see that part of the OP's post.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I switched out my OEM goodyears with 23,000 on them. The rears still had decent tread, but went ahead and got a new set of Firehawks.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

tire is a tire, put the thing in a tub of water and look for the bubbles.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM
sellshort
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Nail
You were right. It was a nail. They fixed it for 50 dollars. I will still need new tire very soon , miles 15,250. I plan on going with Michelin Pilot Super Sports(non-runflats)
Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gp56
Might be able to just tighten it a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To slow leak left rear?

Quick Reply: slow leak left rear?