C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty rotors - warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rusty rotors - warranty ?

I have a 2011 coupe and still under the 3/36 . The rotors are a bit rusty in the center area around the hub , not the shiny part where the pads touch . I called my dealer and the S.A. I deal with said they won't cover this as it's normal . He is a good guy and I tend to believe him but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue in the past and if they got it handled under warranty ? All thoughts welcome . Thanks .
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Brockman66
Racer

It's normal, just have them painted and you won't have to worry about it.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cb98coupe
I have a 2011 coupe and still under the 3/36 . The rotors are a bit rusty in the center area around the hub , not the shiny part where the pads touch . I called my dealer and the S.A. I deal with said they won't cover this as it's normal . He is a good guy and I tend to believe him but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue in the past and if they got it handled under warranty ? All thoughts welcome . Thanks .
If that happens, you can paint them yourself and even get paint where the pads touch and the pads will "wipe" it off and you'll be good to go.

Elmer
Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rust on the rotors is very common. Sometimes it seems as if they rust overnight. Some have started painting the non-contact area of the rotors in recent years. I'm sure it works for many, but those rotor temperatures can get real hot during hard braking, causing me to doubt normal paint surviving hard use. I remember thermocoupling the pads back in my automotive engineering days and seeing 1000 Degrees after a hard workout. We started grass fires a few times when we pulled off into tall dead grass after hard runs! How well would normal paint hold up to that. Maybe that high heat paint for headers or cast iron stoves would work better.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Some folks on this forum had the rotors zinc plated and claimed the plating lasts for years in the non-swept areas. The pictures on the threads looked good.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Common problem and not a warranty issue. I had really bad rust on my '05 rotors but I noticed on my '12 GS the rotor centers were already plated. Maybe that is something they just started? In any even I did nothing for my '05 and eventually the rotor centers took on a uniform color and didn't look too bad. But that takes a while...
Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Flying Low
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine brought up from tampa to a Mont al. dealer.
They were completly rusted. looked awfull. Dealer said there was nothing he could do. I reminded the dealer I did not own that car YET.
While I was waiting for a cab to pick me up he agreed to swap rotors with a car on his lot. (took some talking)
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone , I am going to use some high temp paint and just paint them . Is it ok to use a floor jack and pucks in the rocker to lift the car a bit ?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Low
I had mine brought up from tampa to a Mont al. dealer.
They were completly rusted. looked awfull. Dealer said there was nothing he could do. I reminded the dealer I did not own that car YET.
While I was waiting for a cab to pick me up he agreed to swap rotors with a car on his lot. (took some talking)
The rusted rotors are very common in wetter climates and even far more in areas near the coasts where you get salty moist air. If you saw all the rust on the rotors of the car from Tampa think about all the electrical connectors that also were effected by the salty air, that would be a far bigger concern for me than the rotors which are just cosmetic. I have a 2007 convert that has spent its entire life in Arizona with the original factory rotors and still have no rust showing on them.

Originally Posted by cb98coupe
Thanks everyone , I am going to use some high temp paint and just paint them . Is it ok to use a floor jack and pucks in the rocker to lift the car a bit ?
That will not be a problem to lift the car as long as you place them where the slotted lift points are located.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RJRSW
The rusted rotors are very common in wetter climates and even far more in areas near the coasts where you get salty moist air. If you saw all the rust on the rotors of the car from Tampa think about all the electrical connectors that also were effected by the salty air, that would be a far bigger concern for me than the rotors which are just cosmetic. I have a 2007 convert that has spent its entire life in Arizona with the original factory rotors and still have no rust showing on them.

That will not be a problem to lift the car as long as you place them where the slotted lift points are located.
I will use the slots and Thanks .
Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Put some blocks/jack stands under the frame as a safety precaution. Jack only is fine for changing the tire, but block it when working under it.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Before:

After:

A little high temp engine enamel did the trick.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Wow Les,

Those look great!

CB98- Everyone is correct, the concerns you are having would not fall in your 3/36 warranty. If I can look up your other warranties for you, please PM me with your VIN. Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-01-2013, 12:48 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Wheel clear will Damage the coating that is on the rotor hats and cause rust. The same cleaner will cause the springs to come apart so use soap and water only.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-02-2013, 04:15 PM
GTVETT
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tend to agree with Doug here about too caustic wheel cleaners and what they do to the rotor hats. I've had great luck with Simple Green with a 1:4 ratio. It does a great job on brake dust and doesn't hurt the rotor hats or any painted surface.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Do like I did here & you'll never see that rust again.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey5
Some folks on this forum had the rotors zinc plated and claimed the plating lasts for years in the non-swept areas. The pictures on the threads looked good.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the great tips . I am going to give it a shot this weekend .

Get notified of new replies

To Rusty rotors - warranty ?

Quick Reply: Rusty rotors - warranty ?