C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oracle Led Side Marker Lamps issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked Blackout Marker Lamps issue

Hey guys, need some help or suggestions on how to handle this.

I just recently purchased the Oracle Led Lights (smoked) from one of our vendors. The tint job on the lights was peeling from the curved edges (they were brand new). I contacted them and they informed me to use a blow dryer to stretch the tint around the curved edges (which by the way i should not have to do with a product that is over $250)

Well upon doing that, I ran into a bigger issue. The mounting tabs these lamps use are sub par, no where near as strong as the oem marker lamps. I went to squeeze the first tab just like I had when taking out the stock lamps, and it immediately snapped. Needless to say, after trying as careful and gentle as I could be on the second tab, there was no way to remove the light without breaking off the tab. So now i am left with a side marker lamp which has no tabs.

I thought maybe it was defective, but when I went to try and remove the other side's lamp, I felt the tab already starting to break, and I stopped. So now I am stuck, since I cant take the lamps off to fix them. Catch 22.

Anyone know what I can use to try and repair the tabs. The vendor stated to use some type of epoxy to fix them. They said there was nothing they could do about the tab since I installed the product, even though its clearly defective. The tint began to unravel while on the car, so thats why I installed the marker lamps. Anyone have any suggestions or product to use? Any help is appreciated? Moral of the story, dont try to remove the lights, these tabs are basically one time use. The tab is probably 1/3 of the thickness of the oem lamps.

Ps anyone else run into this issue with these Led lights.

Last edited by pikkashoe; 10-02-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 AM
pikkashoe
Racer

Did some research, going to try some 2 part epoxy. Anybody else have any suggestions or tips?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 AM
2012Z06
Instructor

double sided 3M body molding tape. Pick it up at any auto parts store. My stock ones broke when removing them and the 3M holds them on tight. It was a pain to get them off when I went with the Oracle markers. I used some on the new markers as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought the clear LED marker lights last week. The first one I went to install had a few LED's that did not light. I sent it back and am waiting on the replacement to get here. I'll be extra careful with the tabs. They look good, just hope the install is uneventful.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

take your stock lights and have them painted. Mine have been that way since 08 with no problems.

You can send them to Steve at Airbrushinc. He did mine.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

2012Z06, thanks for the suggestion, I did not even think about that. I have some of that 3m industrial strength double sided tape here, that may just do the trick, hopefully they don't stick out too far. I will see how thick the body molding tape is in comparison to the stuff I have and go with the thinner of the two. As for the tint, as someone mentioned in the other thread, the smoked tint wont work, I may just take it off and go with the nightshade paint with clear. I don't feel like sending them back to just have another shoddy tint job done.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

I'm extremely happy with the painted set I purchased. Tabs while a pain to get them to latch work well.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

I suggest you contact the forum vendor and see what they will do. Most (except for one I had the misfortune to deal with) seem to bend over backwards to keep us happy.

That being said, I found that some of the tabs on my OEM set were already broke off by the previous owner when I removed mine to install the Oracles. I don't think they are any tougher than the Oracles. You have to get your hand behind there to "pinch" them closed to remove them. The rears are easy but the fronts are not that hard either. On the fronts, go from the underneath under the front bumper and there is a place you can get your hands up there. If you try to pull them off without pinching them from behind, I bet they will break.

I did not at first like the way mine were painted and the forum vendor offered to repaint them without hesitation.

You can try the 3M double sided tape or the two part epoxy to glue them back but I would ask the vendor first and have them stand behind them.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Hey Flame Red, I did contact the vendor and they were not willing to help with the tabs issue. The oem tabs are definitely much stronger and if you put them side by side you will see they are thicker as well.

I did pinch the tabs when removing, just like I did when removing the OEM lamps, but the minute I applied any pressure to the tab to pinch it, the tab snapped.

I cannot access my fronts from underneath, i have a grand sport, but it was very easy with the fender liner pulled back.

At this point, I am just going to use the body moulding tape to hold them in place, and then as a safeguard, tape the wiring harness so there is no slack on the line once attached, in case the tape gives, the markers lamps wont come off and dangle.

Also, mine were not painted, they were covered with that Lamix film, in smoke color. I am going to spray them myself with nightshade VHT once i pull the film off them, then clear coat them. Should be an easy job and come out much better.

I did come to an agreement with the vendor about the additional cost to get them smoked/tinted, they refunded me the amount for that. I will just live with them, and of course probably wont be using this vendor anymore for any future purchases.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM
2012Z06
Instructor

You won't have any problem with the 3M. Just wipe all surfaces down with denatured alcohol first. They will never move until you get something under them to pry them off.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Just wanted to update this thread. These led lights have been a nightmare. So the vendor as we know didn't want to help with the sub par quality of the tabs. At this point, every single tab has broken off.

Does anyone know of any better method to get the blacked out look.
I thought I had seen a thread or two where you could send them to someone to get blacked out with black and 2 stage clear like our paint.
Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

You should try VHT Nite-Shades tint.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/niteshades/
Old 11-03-2013, 08:19 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

IMO you should state who the Vendor is. Sounds like to me you have done all you can and they are not standing behind their product.

Being a vendor on CF is a double edge sword. You have good products and service you get lots of business. You sell sub par products, don't stand behind them, then you should get zero business.

IMO, You have been classy about this so far, gave them a chance to work with you on the poor quality tint (which you paid extra for) and then their poor quality product breaks with normal use, and they refuse to remedy or assist.

Now it's time to let the rest of us know so we can avoid them.

So, simple question from your fellow CF member.....where did you buy them?

Last edited by JKbride; 11-03-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 AM
pikkashoe
Racer

ncvette, i did try the nightshades, but i couldn't get the quality finish i was looking for. I tried it twice, first time, they were way too light, second time, the front set came out darker than the rear. Just too much of a hassle.

JKbride, I did work with the vendor regarding the tint, they did agree to refund me the money they charge to install the tint. That didn't fix the issue though of all the tabs breaking after one install. These lights are a one time use item as far as I am concerned. I would rather not name the vendor here, as I am still in talks with them about a new issue (see below). Needless to say this said vendor did nothing to try and make the situation right, i had to ask for the refund for the tint, they told me to fix the lights/tabs myself, great customer service.

And also, I know someone mentioned to use moulding tape, that worked fine for the rear lights, but not the front one's, they have these little offsets that don't let the light sit flush with the surface. So I have them installed only with the wiring harness holding them in place, I taped the harness inside the bumper so there is no slack. This won't work for long i suspect.

This product has been such a big waste of money. And now to top it off, the rear right marker lamp is starting to go, 4 of the little led's are going bad, and I emailed the vendor, but I bet you a million bucks they are not going to honor the warranty because I used nights shades paint on them. I already inquired and thats the first question they asked, so I am waiting for a response.

Last edited by pikkashoe; 11-03-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Pikkashoe, I hope the vendor in question is reading this thread. Once you have given them every chance to fix your problems, and if they don't once word gets out they will be done here on CF.

I hope that does not happen, but they have a choice to make and will have to live with it.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Are you talking about Southwest Speed? I got the same lights except painted machine silver instead of tinted. They match perfect and after 5 months no burned out LEDs. I didnt have any of the tabs break off either. The only thing that bothers me about them is they dont sit flush against the fenders like the factory ones but its not so bad I cant live with it. OP I hope you get yours figured out. Sounds like you got a bad set or something. I guess its hit or miss with some venders and sometimes you just gotta take a loss and move on if you cant get satisfaction.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine installed without any problems after the replacement arrived. I was very easy with the tabs after reading your post. I have had good luck with this vendor on other purchases. Hope yours works out.

Get notified of new replies

To Oracle Led Side Marker Lamps issue

Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 AM
pikkashoe
Racer

Jkbride, i hope they are reading it too, but I doubt they will do anything. If they were, they would of done it a long time ago. I am pretty sure one customer won't ruin their business, and I would never want that for them either. I guess its a lesson learned for me.

EVrose, its not southwest speed. I actually emailed them over the weekend to see how much they would charge me to get those same led lights and have them professionally painted by them.
The oracle led's do not have any issues until you have to remove them, then you risk snapping the tabs. So with that in mind, assuming I can get a perfectly painted set from Ivan at southwest with no issues, I would never have to take them out and run into the tab issue.

EVrose, PM sent to you.

Firebug, good you got everything resolved, mine are now having issues with the LED's, go figure!
I have bought a lot of other stuff from this vendor too, with out any problem, but hey it happens.

Last edited by pikkashoe; 11-03-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry about the issues you are having, hope you get what you are looking for, as for the blackouts, I just installed a set that I purchased from CorvetteMods, which included the LED bulbs, the install went smoothly, and yes the tabs on the lens both stock and the replacements were hard initially, but after the first one was completed the other 3 were quite easy. I'm glad I purchased the lens vs. the cheaper smoked overlays, Hint; Check the LED bulbs work before installing and popping in the Lens, Save you from removing and replacing like I had to since the first bulb didn't light, unplugged the bulb, turned it , plugged back in, and it worked fine, than re-installed, Good luck,
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not directly addressing the OPs question but regarding blacking out the side markers/lights, I had mine done with a tinted film that comes with a lifetime warranty by the installer. If it ever peels or has other problems, he'll re-do it for free. If I get pulled over, I can just peel it off myself. It looks great. I see no downside.

Quick Reply: Oracle Led Side Marker Lamps issue