C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to run flats and slime/compressor???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM
trading tiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to run flats and slime/compressor???

Has anyone on here ever heard of, or tried, a product called TyreShield? It's similar to a tire slime that fixes holes, but this product goes in the tire BEFORE you get punctured, so it's a preventative measure. It's about time to replace my tires and I think I'm going to go with non-runflats, but I don't want to be stranded.

If no one has tried it, I'll give a review if that's what I end up doing. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by trading tiger
Has anyone on here ever heard of, or tried, a product called TyreShield? It's similar to a tire slime that fixes holes, but this product goes in the tire BEFORE you get punctured, so it's a preventative measure. It's about time to replace my tires and I think I'm going to go with non-runflats, but I don't want to be stranded.

If no one has tried it, I'll give a review if that's what I end up doing. Thanks.
It'll be interesting to hear what you think of it. I've never heard of it. Product of the UK?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by trading tiger

Slime goes in before the puncture doesn't it? It certainly does on my bicycle.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Personally if I have a puncture I want to know about it so i can have it fixed from the inside correctly. I do a lot of high speed runs on track and having a product that just hold the air in is not what I would want when taxing the tire to it's limits or close to it. I now have Michelin Zp's but prior I ran Pilot Sport II's and kept the compressor and Slime in the trunk area. That will get you home but at least you know you have an issue to tend to. This is a high speed sports car. If it were my wifes car that never goes anywhere fast I could consider it I guess.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Slime goes in after a puncture.

Does the TyreShield stuff gum up the TPMS sensors?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 458 Likes on 232 Posts

Jay Leno had a product demonstration of a similar product several years ago and it was amazing to see. The demo entailed driving a car over a row of large nails protruding from a board with no loss of air from the tire.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 AM
trading tiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the product's website. It's not supposed to mess up the TPMS. It's also used mostly in race tires. The good news there is that it's proven effective under the harshest of conditions. The bad news is longevity, how long will it work? Race tires are usually replaced fairly often, so it might only be designed to work for a limited time. Not ideal for a daily driver. Maybe that was addressed on the website, I don't recall.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternative to run flats and slime/compressor???

Quick Reply: Alternative to run flats and slime/compressor???