C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulsing Vibration at freeway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 PM
cormudd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsing Vibration at freeway speeds

I noticed recently while driving at speeds above 45 or so, a pulsing vibration that repeats itself about once per second at aprox, 65 or 70 mph. It goes away when turning right even very slightly and gets a little worse turning left. I have read it could be tie rod end. I recently had new rims put on and it did not seem like the front wheel bearings had any problem when I turned the hubs and inspected a little, while my 2008 was up in the air. Any other input on this would be appreciated.
Attached Images  

Last edited by cormudd; 10-13-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Picture to big ops sorry Im new.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:38 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet a good balance will fix that. I had the same thing when I put new rims and tires on. Tire shop said it was in spec but 1 tire was on high side. Got another tire, road force balance and it went away
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by cormudd
I noticed recently while driving at speeds above 45 or so, a pulsing vibration that repeats itself about once per second at aprox, 65 or 70 mph. It goes away when turning right even very slightly and gets a little worse turning left. I have read it could be tie rod end. I recently had new rims put on and it did not seem like the front wheel bearings had any problem when I turned the hubs and inspected a little, while my 2008 was up in the air. Any other input on this would be appreciated.
I would start with a good 4-wheel wheel balance & alignment & then go from there.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM
cormudd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea funny. That is the same thing they said to me. They even re-did it and showed me the papers. But the original numbers were kind of funny, but it drove extremely straight. I am wondering if they just don't know how to properly align a C-6.... I guess Ill have to eat the 90 bucks they charged me and take it to someone that knows Corvette's. What is weird is that with the funny numbers it drove very straight. Now that the numbers are all even and close to spec as can be, it pulls right just very slightly, not even enough to really bother me but of course I want to know what is going on. I love the car and I got a great deal on it. I am a self taught home mechanic but I will say this is no ordinary car when it comes to maintenance. I live in Burbank. Any suggestions on a good shop.

Last edited by cormudd; 10-13-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: To add someting I forgot to mention
Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Lifetime alignment at Firestone here for$179. They have all the specs.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:25 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you should concentrate on the right side.
why did you get new wheels ?
check the axle nuts (torque is 140lbs) then check balance again on the right side as well as the wheel bearings.

an alignment will not cause a vibration unless something was left loose.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

That could be a symptom of a bad wheel bearing on the right side of the car. Turning right unloads the bearing and the noise disappears, turning left loads the bearing more and increases the noise.

Just a possibility, not a guarantee.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a similar pulsing in my 2011 GS. Have not tried turning left and right to see if it changes. I will try that the next time I am on the highway.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
That could be a symptom of a bad wheel bearing on the right side of the car. Turning right unloads the bearing and the noise disappears, turning left loads the bearing more and increases the noise.

Just a possibility, not a guarantee.

I started having those vibrations around 80K miles. No alignment issues and it continued even after I swapped to a different set of wheels and tires. After a few trips to dealers, I managed to get one that changed both front wheel bearings at 98K miles just before the warranty ended. Problem cured for me.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you have the problem before the new rims? If not then a rim or improper balancing is probably your culprit. If not then you know it is not the rims. An alignment that is slightly off to where you can't tell driving the car shouldn't cause a wheel balance issue. You can also rotate the two rims to see if the problem transfers to the other side.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

If in the Atlanta area give Butler tire a call they do on car bal. after they road force bal.
They did my Z06 great job I was surprised they could do rear on car as well.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 AM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Made a thread with the exact same symptoms a while back, it was passengers side front wheel bearing. The push/pull test did not reveal it was the wheel bearing, only driving on the interstate and the symptoms disappearing/becoming more pronounced during long sweeping turn with the curves of the interstate revealed the wheel bearing.

I had been to 3 different Chevy dealerships and all said the wheel bearings were fine until I demanded the last place drive it on the interstate at the same speeds and notice when the symptoms would get worse/disappear. They went ahead and replaced both front bearings under the 5/100k power-train warranty. I was furious I couldn't go past 70mph without the car shaking ridiculously. The main symptom was an intermittent vibration every half second in the steering wheel that felt like a cellphone vibrating in my hand as it would rang. This started at 45mph, then at 70 it felt like something was dragging and began to shake the steering wheel. Hope you get it fixed

Last edited by MR_JLR; 10-14-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pulsing Vibration at freeway speeds

Quick Reply: Pulsing Vibration at freeway speeds