C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pleasure Car Insurance, Grundy??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:35 PM
JTRANTHA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pleasure Car Insurance, Grundy??

Hey everyone,
My reg car insurance is pretty high considering i dont drive my c6 more than 3k miles per year. I tried calling Grundy, whose rates are low $350 year) but they seem pretty picky about what i am using my car for. I asked about the coverage if i drove my car and stopped by the grocery store and they said it would depend on where i was coming from. If i planned to drive to the grocery store, that is not okay. however, if i was on a cruise and stopped at the store on the way home, it would be okay. sounds like they want to get out of a claim if at all possible. any good policies for late model cars that are driven for pleasure but i might drive to work on a nice day.

Thanks, Jason
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

If you plan on driving your car at all you cannot use Grundy or any insurance that is meant for a collector car. Their rates are so low (compared to traditional insurance) is because they expect your car to be sitting in a garage, at a display, but not driven…anywhere. 3000 miles are year would probably be too much for them. Maybe a couple of 100 miles a year. Miles from going to car shows, events, or in a parade. Those miles they will probably accept.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:34 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

3000 miles a year would be correct. With Grundy or Haggerty running of any errand is not allowed. The gray area is "stopping" by one the usual errands while not the intended reason for the trip is more than likely to be covered if something crazy in a parking lot occurs.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

If you're driving your car 3,000 miles per year, you should carry standard auto insurance from any reputable carrier.

Any kind of specialty insurance is not or you.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Try Geico. I have a pleasure driving only (I think its called that) policy with them and its $475/yr full coverage $100 deductible.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

try Adam Boca at the NCM insurance agency.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Rates may be low, but they sound like they would be very difficult to work with. Sounds like they want to insure you, but don't want you to drive. I would avoid them.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
Rates may be low, but they sound like they would be very difficult to work with. Sounds like they want to insure you, but don't want you to drive. I would avoid them.
That's the point of "collector car" insurance, you don't drive it but want it covered. Even though you are driving it "short" distances it's the frequency that puts your car at risk - exactly what they do not want. Driving 1,500 miles a year on three occasions is completely different that driving 1,500/yr at 30 miles every week for 52 weeks. They don't want that risk for the low premiums...avoiding them is good advise.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

NCM will tailor its policy for whatever miles you tell them and you can even drive to work a couple times a week. Just follow the guide lines and save big $$$...Also I see OP is in CA. NCM insurance covers inanimate objects hitting your car which is a plus in earthquake country.

Last edited by boraxman; 10-17-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:54 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
NCM will tailor its policy for whatever miles you tell them and you can even drive to work a couple times a week. Just follow the guide lines and save big $$$...Also I see OP is in CA. NCM insurance covers inanimate objects hitting your car which is a plus in earthquake country.
I agree. Just got a quote with very high lia. limits, low ded. w/1,000 miles for just under $400/Yr. - half of what i'm paying now. (07 Vert)
Old 10-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
try Adam Boca at the NCM insurance agency.
Thank you Gary!! You are awesome!

Originally Posted by Red08
:skeptical: Not us! We are very flexible! we have our guidelines like all collector car companies, but we are the most flexible.

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
That's the point of "collector car" insurance, you don't drive it but want it covered. Even though you are driving it "short" distances it's the frequency that puts your car at risk - exactly what they do not want. Driving 1,500 miles a year on three occasions is completely different that driving 1,500/yr at 30 miles every week for 52 weeks. They don't want that risk for the low premiums...avoiding them is good advise.
It is more than the frequency, it is also the exposure to folks/objects that don't care about your car as much as you do. We don't insure cars used for errands (grocery stores, shopping malls, golf course, etc). We allow work usage up to 2 times per week. Please don't avoid unless these few restrictions don't work for you. If you want to save money, and have better protection than we can be a great service to you and others.

Originally Posted by boraxman

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I agree. Just got a quote with very high lia. limits, low ded. w/1,000 miles for just under $400/Yr. - half of what i'm paying now. (07 Vert)
Old 10-17-2013, 03:54 PM
cj032188
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in NJ which is known for high insurance and I have car on my gieco policy with i beleive a 250$ deductable and Im paying about 60 a month.. Also should be noted that im 25 and single which makes my ins a littttle bit higher
Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by cj032188
Im in NJ which is known for high insurance and I have car on my gieco policy with i beleive a 250$ deductable and Im paying about 60 a month.. Also should be noted that im 25 and single which makes my ins a littttle bit higher
Rates also correspond with coverage amounts whether you run only legal requirements to 1/2mil-1mil+.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

The Museum and a few other agents offer American Modern. A few years go, they bought all the policies from the Sneed Agency. I still had my policy with Sneed and carried it over but they unfortunately no longer offer unlimited mileage coverage. I was grandfathered in but when I changed to a C6 they would no longer would honor that. Unlimited was great even though I never went about 2 or 3K a year. One less worry.

Basically, I can use it for any pleasure driving. No requirements that you had to be be heading to a car show. Cannot not use it for work. It must be kept in a locked garage. Mods are fine. Agreed value which is terrific! Only listed drivers are covered (no loaning it out). Driver must be older than 25 and have a clean record and another car to be used as a daily driver.

Now they offer 3k and 6k miles/year - no unlimited. I come really close to 3K year. It is the best I could find...

Get notified of new replies

To Pleasure Car Insurance, Grundy??

Quick Reply: Pleasure Car Insurance, Grundy??