C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild 2 Wild Getting Blamed for Computor Failures

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Btw, i had a m2w blow my amp. GM still covered it
Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by pscott
They did and put in a new fuse in place of the M2W. They said they could talk to the car now, so it had to be the issue. However, the first time they had it which was last week, they could talk to the car, so if the M2W was the culprit, wouldn't it have been the issue last week too? They said they could plug the M2W back in and everything went south again. When they put the new fuse back in, they could talk with the car again. But the failed componets still have to be replaced. I really think that whatever is shorting out my car also shorted out the M2W the second time around and that's why they couldn't talk to my car the second time, but could the first. But, what I think will have no bearing on the outcome I'm sure.
Leave the M2W off for awhile, if no problems with it off you know the M2W was causing your problem......
Old 10-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I'm following this thread with much interest, as are others.

If in fact, there is definitive evidence, or even a reasonable certainty, that the M2W device was actually responsible for this issue, I'll be removing mine, and wiring in a simple SPDT dead pedal switch.

At this time, I still believe that the M2W device is being used as a scape goat by the dealer.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Keep us posted please.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Knowklew
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Curious about this
Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

After seeing this thread this morning I contacted the Mfg this morning and this is their response:

From the Manufacture: We can tell you that with over 30,000 units in use as far back as 2006 that these claims are ridiculous. Not only is mild2wild installed by over 30 GM dealers on new deliveries but was built after consulting with the GM engineer had that designed the Z06 exhaust back in 2006. Hooking up to a central ground cannot cause any computer failures and even if somehow there was a short mild2wild is fuse protected. All mild2wild does is complete or disconnect the 12v traveling to the exhaust circuit. It’s sad that GM has techs that clearly don’t know what they are doing and look to blame any aftermarket part. If you like I would be happy to speak to the service manager.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (05-18-2023)
Old 10-19-2013, 12:42 PM
ta70raiii
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions
After seeing this thread this morning I contacted the Mfg this morning and this is their response:

From the Manufacture: We can tell you that with over 30,000 units in use as far back as 2006 that these claims are ridiculous. Not only is mild2wild installed by over 30 GM dealers on new deliveries but was built after consulting with the GM engineer had that designed the Z06 exhaust back in 2006. Hooking up to a central ground cannot cause any computer failures and even if somehow there was a short mild2wild is fuse protected. All mild2wild does is complete or disconnect the 12v traveling to the exhaust circuit. It’s sad that GM has techs that clearly don’t know what they are doing and look to blame any aftermarket part. If you like I would be happy to speak to the service manager.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (05-18-2023)
Old 10-19-2013, 12:55 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
How can they blame a product that they sell at the corvette museum
That is not right.

I doubt it is the M2W. I bought one of the original visor ones from the original vendor back in early 2008. I have used it on my 08 Coupe, 11 GS Vert and 13 GS since. That is about 60k miles. M2W has a fuse that it will blow first.

I'm guessing the dealer's tech screwed something up and is looking for something to blame. I've worked around the F16 for 20 years (not as an electrician though) and loose wires will cause havoc. And if you do
"best guess" troubleshooting you can screw up the system more.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions

OUTSTANDING! Without doubt, the most significant post so far, and certain to be appreciated by the OP.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Interesting!

It is interesting that GM and their service representatives will actually subscribe and deliberately deliver MISinformation to individuals and even GO ALONG with dealerships or stealerships that practice this philosphy. I really don't understand why GM as big as it is would want to do this, what do they have to gain? Maybe I'm missing something, but maybe GM thinks it is a GOOD business model. Am I missing something?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

As we are all aware, the electronics in these cars can be very challenging. I have heard similar issues when using the window valets that plug into diagnosis port.
I'm not even sure the window valets are still being sold?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The manufacturer of the M2W is on the thread.. That's good. The dealer's claim is total BS. I'm in EE and the M2W is a simple relay circuit and is fuse protected. I really don't see how any short in the M2W circuitry or connecting wiring could cause any more than a blown fuse and NPP open condition. Don't give into this and have Top Flight make the connection so the M2W manufacturer can speak directly to the dealer on your behalf. Don't take this lying down.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't know a thing about the Mild2Wild unit, but it's my opinion that virtually all the mechanics who work on cars, and especially at the dealers, do not know how to diagnose anything. If there's not a thrown code, there's no problem, regardless of how the car is running. But if there's not a sensor in the problem area, it can't throw a code.

Maybe cars have gotten too complicated for mechanics to work on. Or at least those who are willing to work on a car for blue collar wages.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Please let us know how you make out. I have the M2W on my 2013 Z06 and I don't want to deal with any BS... Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I don't know a thing about the Mild2Wild unit, but it's my opinion that virtually all the mechanics who work on cars, and especially at the dealers, do not know how to diagnose anything. If there's not a thrown code, there's no problem, regardless of how the car is running. But if there's not a sensor in the problem area, it can't throw a code.

Maybe cars have gotten too complicated for mechanics to work on. Or at least those who are willing to work on a car for blue collar wages.
I wouldn't make that claim for every mechanic out there but there is some truth to it. My local dealer, who is closing unfortunately , said that is getting to the point where it is almost over the head of most mechanics. Said it will be a real problem in the future if they can not attract young tech savvy people to get into the field. May be one person who does diagnosis and someone else who wrenches.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Hmmm!

Originally Posted by RocketDawg

Originally Posted by plasboy
I wouldn't make that claim for every mechanic out there but there is some truth to it. My local dealer, who is closing unfortunately , said that is getting to the point where it is almost over the head of most mechanics. Said it will be a real problem in the future if they can not attract young tech savvy people to get into the field. May be one person who does diagnosis and someone else who wrenches.
Hmmm! Just following through a circuit could become even more interesting AND maybe even more confusing to an individual technician. If in the design of circuits, there are more "code points" to throw a "code", it may get to such a finite point that a person or technicians may become information saturated with the overload of too many codes and become useless in trouble shooting the problem (maybe too much information overload). Even today with the limited computer codes, they are really saving a technician "butt"; otherwise, he wouldn't even know where to start, at least he has somewhere to start substituting parts (maybe not the right ones - like a Xmas light string with a few burnt out bulbs). These computer circuits can even be challenging to an electricial engineer because of their complexity.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM
svoshop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had abs, tics issues on my previous ZR1. Caused me to crash the car while driving down the highway. GM sent engineers who were able to rid the PCM of all evidence. Don't mess around with the malfunctions, it can be very serious when the active handling engage while you are crushing at 65 mph and the car thinks you're out of control.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Mild 2 Wild Getting Blamed for Computor Failures

Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Hopefully Chevy Cust Svc will be jumping into this thread eventually.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 PM
GotMoJo
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

If you run a battery tender, be advised that transient spikes over the grid can cause serious havoc with your car's electronics. I recently had to replace the ECBM in my car because of this. It also took out the tender. I now have a high quality transient suppressor in line to prevent it from happening again.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

To the OP and others who have responded with thoughts and expertise on the electronics of the C6, i want to believe you and the manufacturer statement posted above that the M2W mod couldn't be the culprit, and in my case wish it wasn't i have had a issue with my wiper washers, the washers would only spray intermittently one moment they would work and another they wouldn't, i posted in the C6 tech forum for help last month;
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-diagnose.html

The dealer couldn't duplicate the prob in there presence,
so i decieded to take things on myself and back track what i modded to the car, i had installed M2W in the fuse box, so researching that the BCM was integral with the floor mounted fuse box i unplugged the
M2W from the NPP fuse postion and left the ground and replaced the fuse, since i did that 2 weeks ago the washers have operated everytime i pressed the button on the stalk
and i check it almost everyday even if im not using the car i turn the IGN on and press the button in the hopes they didn't work so i could eliminate the M2W (because i love the feature) and try to isolate it to the washer systen itself like a bad BCM switch button or loose ground wire.
So at this point the M2W is lying in the footwell disconnected except for the grouind wire and i keep trying the washers hoping they don't work so i can then reconnect it and move on to something else.
On my 80 mile drive home tonite i tried the washers 3 diff times and they worked perfectly, i guess my next step would be is to reconnect the M2W and see what happens.
Im open to any ideas and my posting is not meant to harm the vendor or manufacturer just passing on my experience could it be mearly coincidental or a red herring like a member posted above?
Later today i will go out to the car and try the washers again
it has become part of my daily routine i even spray the windshield first in case no spray comes out i don't want the wipers sweeping on a dry windshield im **** about that.

Quick Reply: Mild 2 Wild Getting Blamed for Computor Failures