C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OEM Battery !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New OEM Battery !!

Well back in March of this year I posted my questions relative to a no start and low battery charge. If you wish, you can read the previous post here........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-problem.html

Anyway, I had elected to see how long the battery would last with reasonable care. So, after the discussion in the above referenced thread, I purchased a cheap battery maintainer from Harbor Freight. When the vehicle was NOT being used in a 24 hour period, I would installed the charger.

Well, everything worked well, including the trip to San Clemente. And I periodically checked the battery voltage (still connected to the car), with the lowest reading of 12.32 volts.

Two days ago, I removed the maintainer and ATTEMPTED to start the car. It just "clicked". Popped the hood and took a reading with the multi-meter and it was 10.6 volts.....hmmmmmm.

Installed a 3 step charger for about 36 hours and although the charger screen indicated a charged battery, when I again checked with the multi-meter it was 11.1. I suspected a shorted cell. So called my Chev. dealer and checked for an OEM replacement ($103.30) and picked it up and installed.

Been running (and starting) great for the past 2 days....with a connected static voltage of 12.68.

Lesson learned........as someone mentioned, once dead they never are the same.

But I question the validity of the Harbor Freight maintainer. Of course, it probably is one of the experiences that fit the comment, "You get what you pay for".

But ALSO, please don't say, "I told you so". I knew at some point the battery would not perform. The cost of the battery is minimal, and frankly the ONLY expense I have had for the car. My goal was to see what the longevity was.

Oh by the way....when the battery is removed (very tight fit) from the battery tray, there is a odd shaped opening cut into the tray with what appears to be a downward metal conduit. Does this capture air while moving down the road......to cool the battery?

Quick Reply: New OEM Battery !!