C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell of burning oil

Old 10-19-2013, 02:08 AM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell of burning oil

Hi All,

I just recently purchased my first Vette... It's a 2010 GS. It has about 14500 miles. I notice when I have the AC on with air coming in from the outside, every once in a while I smell an oil burning smell. I thought because it was a new to me vehicle, and the oil was recently changed, may be when they were refilling the oil some of it spilled and the excess was burning off the exhaust manifold... but after driving my Vette for over 300 miles, I still smell it on occasion. When I open the hood, I don't smell the oil burning. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:59 AM
AFflyer
Instructor

Mine is doing the same thing. All indications show that the car is running properly but I get that same smell. I also just bought mine.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

That seems to be normal for these cars, especially right after an oil change, and you'll find a number of threads on this subject here. My '13 car purchased new did it from the beginning, but the smell decreased as I drove it. When the oil was changed at 800 miles (GM Dexos) the smell returned, then decreased until I changed it again recently (Mobil 1). It is not caused by oil spillage, and as most have discovered seems to enter the cabin through the vent system, more noticeable when not set to recirculate. I can't smell it in the engine compartment with the hood up and it does not come from the exhaust. I can only smell it in the cabin when not set to recirculate.

Some have claimed the problem was solved by changing the rear engine seal, but I'm having big problems understanding that concept. It has something to do with a coating on the seal reacting with new oil. Whatever the cause I've learned to live with it and know that over the next few hundred miles the smell will dissipate, that is until I change the oil again.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me also, since new. I had it in we looked and poked and prodded.
After oil is changed its worse. They now fill my new oil sloooowwwwww and this helps for sure. The smell at first knocked me over but now is faint.
No good answear and the dealer changed my oil 3 times (for free) to try and source it. (2012 GS)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 AM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

I went to the Chevy dealer today and spoke to the Service Writer... It was the first he has heard of this issue. I told him that there are many others on the Corvette Forum, experiencing the same issue. He would like to check out my GS. I'll let you know what they find out...
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 AM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of articles here on the forum, many theories, some valid some not, but no real solutions or causes for the smell. Most cars do not get the smell, but a fair amount do and it appears to be a very random issue, meaning it happens to some LS engines regardless of the designation or series. The Camaro guys complain about the same thing so it's not unique to Corvettes, but rather to the LS family in general. (Oddly though, the truck guys with LS series engines don't seem to have the issue)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

My oil smell issues went away on my 2011 GS dry sump by filling it verrrryyyy sssllooowww during changes.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM
jmc3367
Advanced

I just had the rear main replaced in my 2010 coupe. It had a very very small leak but it was enough to cause the smell. I could see it under the car. There was a slight film on the pan but it only dropped one small drop. Fortunately it was covered under warranty. the car had 20k on it
Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM
99Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Have had the oil smell at every oil change in my 08. Had the oil pan gasket replaced at the dealer 2 weeks ago which came with fresh oil. Smell is back again. Going to live with it I guess.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 PM
BL1000
Intermediate

I had the smell with my 2008 c6 base model. After I installed an oil catch can it stopped. A pretty decent amount of oil accumulates on top of the manifold, so I think the catch can reduced the residual amount of oil that built up. Either way I did nothing else, and the smell went away.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 AM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

Got my C6 back from the Chevy Dealer... they looked everywhere, and could not find an oil leak from anywhere... I told him about the rear main seal, and he said that if it isn't leaking, they are not going to change it... The rear main seal wasn't leaking so he said they would not change it at this time.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Hogtos
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Well I'm feeling a little better because the NoCal Dealership has made me feel like I'm crazy! My '13 CS was due for its first oil change, free mind you, so I was pretty excited to follow the guide and get this done on time.

When we left the dealership, it was immediate. I told my wife confidently, someone spilled on the block. No worries, it'll burn off. After 150 mile later, it was clear to me, this should have been gone.

So I went back. Service folks told me they put it on the rack twice and there's no leaks or signs, smells of burning. So I thought, wow, magic, it must be gone. Drove it home and it's back. Call back ask for service mgr., I'm told that I'm probably just smelling traffic exhaust, " just keep the circulation button on, and you're good". But why didn't it smell before my free oil change?

I tell them I'm not a dork, this is burning oil. "Well Sir, bring it back and we'll drive it over night, extensively and we'll see if we smell what you're smelling". Next morning, " we don't smell anything, but we put it back up on the rack and there was nothing". Finally, he speculated on some of this problem he had been hearing about " the Camaro guys are reporting this too. We think it has something to do with the speed of the oil replenishment and if it's too fast then it's splashing within the Intake Manifold and lodging in areas it should not be, and as a result, slowly burning off." "But we can't say that's what happening with your car, just give it time and it'll burn off".

Seems like Crap to me! This is the most expensive car I've owned and driving a car with a cabin that still fills with oil smell 1,000 miles later, is not right. I wrote last week to the GM and Sales Mgrs of the dealership last week and I got "crickets", nothing.

Next letter tomorrow is to GM

This is just not right. I thought I was alone until I found this thread tonight.

I'll keep you updated on my saga. Sad part is my dream car has this situation, just not right.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Old Boot
Pro

I usually did a bit of spirited driving on my way to the dealer. The service manager came out and said "man I smell what your sayin"
Like I said several changes later slow fill and I think I might smell it a bit from time to time but not like it was. I will have anouther change in a month or so as long as the weather here stays nice and I am curiuos if it will smell again. Fill slowwwww is on my car record at City Chev...good guys in service for sure
Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogtos
Well I'm feeling a little better because the NoCal Dealership has made me feel like I'm crazy! My '13 CS was due for its first oil change, free mind you, so I was pretty excited to follow the guide and get this done on time.

When we left the dealership, it was immediate. I told my wife confidently, someone spilled on the block. No worries, it'll burn off. After 150 mile later, it was clear to me, this should have been gone.

So I went back. Service folks told me they put it on the rack twice and there's no leaks or signs, smells of burning. So I thought, wow, magic, it must be gone. Drove it home and it's back. Call back ask for service mgr., I'm told that I'm probably just smelling traffic exhaust, " just keep the circulation button on, and you're good". But why didn't it smell before my free oil change?

I tell them I'm not a dork, this is burning oil. "Well Sir, bring it back and we'll drive it over night, extensively and we'll see if we smell what you're smelling". Next morning, " we don't smell anything, but we put it back up on the rack and there was nothing". Finally, he speculated on some of this problem he had been hearing about " the Camaro guys are reporting this too. We think it has something to do with the speed of the oil replenishment and if it's too fast then it's splashing within the Intake Manifold and lodging in areas it should not be, and as a result, slowly burning off." "But we can't say that's what happening with your car, just give it time and it'll burn off".

Seems like Crap to me! This is the most expensive car I've owned and driving a car with a cabin that still fills with oil smell 1,000 miles later, is not right. I wrote last week to the GM and Sales Mgrs of the dealership last week and I got "crickets", nothing.

Next letter tomorrow is to GM

This is just not right. I thought I was alone until I found this thread tonight.

I'll keep you updated on my saga. Sad part is my dream car has this situation, just not right.
The answer is in this thread, it's the rear main seal .

Take it for what it is worth as I certainly can't for the life of me figure how or why but .... I'm aware of 3 Vettes that had the "oil smell after change" that was fixed by replacing the rear crank seal.......one of these I know the specific car and events ... the others were reported by the regional Chevy service rep. Supposedly, there is a chemical reaction between the assembly lube used at the factory and Mobil one.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...l-changes.html
Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey y'all,

If you need assistance with the oil smell, please let me know. I am able to get a case started for you in our system. I can speak with your dealership as well. Please PM me if you would like my help.

Thanks R&L's C6 for the insight. I do know that this issue has been reported to the appropriate departments and documented.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Hogtos
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey y'all,

If you need assistance with the oil smell, please let me know. I am able to get a case started for you in our system. I can speak with your dealership as well. Please PM me if you would like my help.

Thanks R&L's C6 for the insight. I do know that this issue has been reported to the appropriate departments and documented.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks Kelly
I wrote back to the Mgnt of the Dealership on Friday. I suggested R&L and other's theories. Also let them know that I followed their advise and it is not working (they just told me to give it time; "it'll burn itself off").
My letter said I wanted to be acknowledged with reply. If it doesn't come; I'll be in touch.
Thanks again
Colin
Old 10-27-2013, 07:49 PM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My newly acquired 2009 does the same thing. Smells like an old Ford I had just before I had to rebuild the engine. Smell was from the engine crankcase vent. My bet is that it is the same thing except that the Gobernet requires those smells to be vented into the intake. So my guess that is where they are coming from. Drive fast and you won't smell them!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a long, long thread (currently at 20 pages) about oil smell after oil change. Find it here...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...l-changes.html

I have some entries in that thread as well... I've had the oil changed at a Chevy dealer twice since I bought my 2012 GS new in April, 2012. Both times, as I drive away from the dealership, the smell is there, in the interior but not under the hood. Lots of theories and it certainly doesn't sound like it's a new problem. Seems like Chevy would/should know about this problem by now.

I've heard all about the rear seal theory but many have doubted that is the real cause. I've also heard the idea of it having something to do with new oil being poured into the top of the engine and somehow getting somewhere where it doesn't wanna be??? I heard of one guy who recently changed his own oil and took the time to pour it slowly into the dipstick tube. Not sure if I heard whether that avoided the smell or not??? Again, lots of theories but no real answer...

Just know that lots of folks have reported this same problem, including me... bob...
Old 10-28-2013, 01:50 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Boot
...They now fill my new oil sloooowwwwww and this helps for sure...
Originally Posted by Seadawg
My oil smell issues went away on my 2011 GS dry sump by filling it verrrryyyy sssllooowww during changes.
I really believe this is one possible cause.

Maybe if it's filled too fast, oil goes somewhere it's not supposed to.

Never a problem for me... did my own oil changes... filled with an old narrow-neck funnel.

Get notified of new replies

To Smell of burning oil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smell of burning oil