C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I Use Discount Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Why I Use Discount Tires

The dreaded "Right Rear tire is Low" came on yesterday. I checked and the tire was at 24 lBs so I put it back to 30 lbs. This morning it was down to 27 and I did not see anything stuck in the tire.

Stopped by my Discount Tire store this morning they found and fixed a small hole in the tread for no charge. After the repair, I notice the TPS on the right rear was not working correct. The tech then put the DIC in the accessory more, held down two buttons on the FOB and used some hand held device to reprogram all 4 wheels. All is well now and the price was zero but I have purchased a number of tires from the shop.

My wife's car need four new tires and Discount's price was for 4 was $200 under Ford and less than Costco.

Advertising will get you to visit one time but good service and price will get you to come back. When the C6 needs new tires, I will get them from Discount Tires.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

They are my tire vendor of choice too.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkay
Advertising will get you to visit one time but good service and price will get you to come back. When the C6 needs new tires, I will get them from Discount Tires.

I have always been treated very good there.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 AM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Mine too^^^^

We've picked up nails in the sub from the construction and they have always fixed them for free, even on our newer cars with factory tires.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

From my one and only experience with a Discount Tire Store I feel they have the potential to do a good job but not during my one visit.

One of my Michelin rears picked up a bolt in the tread. I took all 4 Michelin's off and replaced with the OEM Good Years which had been off the car a month. Made an appt. to get the tire plugged when I had a trip planned through the town with the nearest Discount Tire. Got there and they got right to work. During the week from the time I made the appt. and the Sat. I had the appt. the sensors on the OEM Good Years began to fail. So I called and asked if they had 4 sensors in stock to also replace them while they plug/patched the Michelin with the bolt hole in it. Yes they do have the sensors.

First I note them fiddling with the valve stem on the wheel with the Michelin. Excuse me. You're not replacing the TPMS sensor on that rim are you. "Yes" Not what I asked for. Plug the tire on that rim and change the sensors on the 4 wheels on the car. Okay, back on went the sensor it came in with. 4 tires off, sensors changed. Sensors would not sink with car's computer. They tried their two computers, mine which I had brought and magnets which I told them would not work on my 2009 Coupe. After some head scratching one guy asks, "This is a ZO6 isn't it?" My response, I wish, no it's not. We put the wrong sensors on your car. Off come all 4 wheels again and the correct sensors were installed and linked to the TPMS's computer.

They felt very bad wasting my time as I had some place to be and was about an hour late. Bad enough that they only charged me for 2 sensors, not 4 and nothing for the tire plug on the Michelin.

I'd go there again but they have to be watched to insure what you ask for is what you get. At least during my one time visit.

George
Twisp, WA
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I too have had positive results at Discount Tire !! but it probably varies from store to store just like dealers some are better than others...
Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
I too have had positive results at Discount Tire !! but it probably varies from store to store just like dealers some are better than others...
Exactly....service is only as good as the actual person doing the job....but I have no complaints with Discount....but doing research/homework on your purchace is your friend...my last tire purchace for our SUV was at Costco....they beat Discount by a bunch....who knew...
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I've had bad experiences with my Vette at the local Discount Tire. This includes them rummaging through my car, after I told them that the jacking pucks were already installed (minor annoyance), not knowing how to reset the TPMS (1st visit), did not bother to reset the TPMS (2nd visit), tire pressures varying by up to 5 pounds (2 separate visits), losing the stainless valve caps (1st visit), and scratching a wheel (1st visit). I will never go back to that store. It's the store closest to my home - see my profile.

Last edited by car2fast4you; 10-23-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Used them with no complaints!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:42 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

When I got my last set on the GS I went to the Goodyear dealer to get some prices. My wife and I are good friends with the owner so I always start there. Stopped by Discount just to compare and they beat all the prices that Goodyear quoted by a few 100 dollars. Went back to Goodyear and they beat the Discount prices! It pays to get multiple quotes. If I had taken the first quote I would have paid almost $500 more than what I wound up paying. Point is don't take the first quote even if it is from a good friend...

Why did I stick with Goodyear you ask? Because they had the tires in stock and they were back ordered from Discount.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think in general they are pretty good but I have seen a tech leaning tires against painted body panels. When I bought my tires they tried to impress me about how they know how to lift a vette by opening the doors first, yada, yada.... I'm thinking geez-o-pete, this ain't no C2/C3. I took the wheels only over to them in my PU. I had them inspect the wheels and make a note on the work order that there was no prior damage. They mounted them ok but the weights were stuck on a little crooked. I was happy just to get them back with no scratches. I usually get my tires from tire rack in South Bend and have them do the install. DT had a better warranty so I went to them since the tires are so expensive compared to "regular" tires.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They are my tire supplier of choice also. The St. Cloud, MN store staff will do back flips to make sure customers are satisfied. Great folks!!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

They used to be my tire shop of choice until one day I needed only 2 new front tires for my wife's 2011 Traverse. The front tires were toast mainly because she takes corners too quick and its a front wheel drive SUV. The back tires were almost like new yet. They refused to install my new tires on the front. This made no sense to me no matter how much BS the sales person gave me about losing control on a curve, blah, blah, blah.... Let's face it the back tires basically are there to hold the rear of the car off the ground in a front-wheel drive application. The front tires supply your tractions for acceleration, steering, the larger percentage of your braking. That is where I want my good tires.

In any case, after arguing with this guy for a short while, I just let him put them on the back and then immediately drove home and swapped them out myself. It is a shame and a loss for them since I own 4 vehicles and will never purchase from Discount again since this particlar individual does not know the meaning of customer service.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk541
They used to be my tire shop of choice until one day I needed only 2 new front tires for my wife's 2011 Traverse. The front tires were toast mainly because she takes corners too quick and its a front wheel drive SUV. The back tires were almost like new yet. They refused to install my new tires on the front. This made no sense to me no matter how much BS the sales person gave me about losing control on a curve, blah, blah, blah.... Let's face it the back tires basically are there to hold the rear of the car off the ground in a front-wheel drive application. The front tires supply your tractions for acceleration, steering, the larger percentage of your braking. That is where I want my good tires.

In any case, after arguing with this guy for a short while, I just let him put them on the back and then immediately drove home and swapped them out myself. It is a shame and a loss for them since I own 4 vehicles and will never purchase from Discount again since this particlar individual does not know the meaning of customer service.
It's probably just a liability issue with insurance. Personally I buy my tires online and have my local shop who I've used for years put them on.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

We have a very Vette friendly Discount Tire store locally. The club uses them, very well run shop.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

To the best of my knowledge, there is not a Discount Tire here. I think there's one with a similar name, but it's not the national chain that you guys are talking about.

Get notified of new replies

To Why I Use Discount Tires

Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Arkay
The dreaded "Right Rear tire is Low" came on yesterday. I checked and the tire was at 24 lBs so I put it back to 30 lbs. This morning it was down to 27 and I did not see anything stuck in the tire.

Stopped by my Discount Tire store this morning they found and fixed a small hole in the tread for no charge. After the repair, I notice the TPS on the right rear was not working correct. The tech then put the DIC in the accessory more, held down two buttons on the FOB and used some hand held device to reprogram all 4 wheels. All is well now and the price was zero but I have purchased a number of tires from the shop.

My wife's car need four new tires and Discount's price was for 4 was $200 under Ford and less than Costco.

because your cheap.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
because your cheap.
No because I appreciate good service. The fact that their price is better than others is a bonus. I would probably buy from Discount Tires even if their price was not the best.

I will never forget being on a road trip with my previous C5 and picked up a nail out in the boonies. Had to slow down and drive 40 miles on the run flat to the next town and the local Discount Tire store did the repair for me. They had my name and car in their computer and it was easy.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use them but I can write an essay why the car never goes there-only the wheels
Also no instructions that require memory or thinking.

Quick Reply: Why I Use Discount Tires