C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strongly considering a C6. A few questions before I make a decision.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Strongly considering a C6. A few questions before I make a decision.

About 6 months ago, I bought a BMW Z4 Sdrive30i. It was kind of an impulse decision and now I regret it terribly. The car is too soft, isn't even decently fast in a straight line and the interior is not what you would expect from a BMW. Right now, I am strongly considering selling it and buying either a Cayman S, a Z4 Sdrive35i (Twin turbo version) or a C6 Corvette.

I know I will get a very biased opinion on here, but I would just like to ask a few general questions!

1. How reliable is that LS3?

2. Is the C6 daily driveable? (I'm fairly young, so harshness isn't really an issue.)

3. Have you ever looked at your car and said "Damn, I could do with another 100 horsepower? (Subjective, I know.)

4. Does the car handle as badly as people say? (I drove a ZR1 at Bondurant racing school and I fell in love. Not sure how the base stacks up.)

5. How annoying is the cars AT? Is an MT a necessity for a car like this?

6. I'm not saying it will be tracked, but if it ever is, how does the car hold up?

7. Is it generally a cheap car to maintain, as opposed to a BMW?

8. I know it's a common car depending on where you live, but have you ever had someone compliment it?

9. Does the car eat through tires? (I know this depends on your driving, but still. Is it C63 AMG bad? :P)

10. Do you ever have to put up with people bringing up the negative stigma surrounding Corvette owners? You know, the whole "mid-life crisis, old rich guy" thing.

I'm not even going to bother posting this question on the BMW forums, as most everyone there is extremely pretentious and self-righteous. Not a friendly place to be! I've heard nothing but good things about the Vette community. (A small factor in my buying decision.)

Now, I know that the Cayman S will outhandle the Vette, but it simply isn't as fast in a straight line. And when I think about it, we have very few curvy roads in Arizona where the Cayman could really open up.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 PM
thehueg
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 2008 in 2011 and have found the maintenace very reasonable, primarily oil changes along with brake fluid, coolant, etc. No major incidents so I can't speak to what something major might cost. I suspect, however, less than a Teutonic auto would cost. The friend who talked me into considering the C6 when I mentioned the Cayman turns out to have been correct-the Vette is a beast. Raw power, not lots of finesse, and great fun to drive. Having said that, just as there aren't a lot of curvy roads to wring out a Cayman, it's not always easy to unwind the power of the Vette on our roads. Someday I think I'd like a Cayman just for what I perceive to be, maybe mistakenly, the superior fit and precision of the car. My desire to continue to drive the beast may finally be offset by the wish to drive a superbly crafted Porsche. After that, hello Dodge Dart!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Originally Posted by thehueg
I bought a 2008 in 2011 and have found the maintenace very reasonable, primarily oil changes along with brake fluid, coolant, etc. No major incidents so I can't speak to what something major might cost. I suspect, however, less than a Teutonic auto would cost. The friend who talked me into considering the C6 when I mentioned the Cayman turns out to have been correct-the Vette is a beast. Raw power, not lots of finesse, and great fun to drive. Having said that, just as there aren't a lot of curvy roads to wring out a Cayman, it's not always easy to unwind the power of the Vette on our roads. Someday I think I'd like a Cayman just for what I perceive to be, maybe mistakenly, the superior fit and precision of the car. My desire to continue to drive the beast may finally be offset by the wish to drive a superbly crafted Porsche. After that, hello Dodge Dart!
Porsche are very finely built machines, but are notoriously difficult to maintain. That's the biggest con I have for the Cayman. I would most likely have to buy an out of warranty Cayman, where all service and maintenance would be out of pocket!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefordays
About 6 months ago, I bought a BMW Z4 Sdrive30i. It was kind of an impulse decision and now I regret it terribly. The car is too soft, isn't even decently fast in a straight line and the interior is not what you would expect from a BMW. Right now, I am strongly considering selling it and buying either a Cayman S, a Z4 Sdrive35i (Twin turbo version) or a C6 Corvette.

I know I will get a very biased opinion on here, but I would just like to ask a few general questions!

The LS3 and LS2 are very reliable. Bulletproof, I'd say. They even stand up to forced induction very well. Read up on engine failures on the LS7 before you consider one of those.

2. Is the C6 daily driveable? (I'm fairly young, so harshness isn't really an issue.)

Very much so. I hate driving anything else now.

3. Have you ever looked at your car and said "Damn, I could do with another 100 horsepower? (Subjective, I know.)

Oh yes. That's what superchargers are for.

4. Does the car handle as badly as people say? (I drove a ZR1 at Bondurant racing school and I fell in love. Not sure how the base stacks up.)

I LOVE how my car handles. It is a Z51, just for reference.

I love the AT, but MT is great also.

6. I'm not saying it will be tracked, but if it ever is, how does the car hold up?

No experience there, but I'd say better than most. It is built to go fast.

Yes, very cheap to maintain, in general.

8. I know it's a common car depending on where you live, but have you ever had someone compliment it?

All the time.

9. Does the car eat through tires? (I know this depends on your driving, but still. Is it C63 AMG bad? :P)

No. But it depends on a lot of factors. Tires are expensive.

10. Do you ever have to put up with people bringing up the negative stigma surrounding Corvette owners? You know, the whole "mid-life crisis, old rich guy" thing.

Sure, a few, but who cares? They said the same thing when I bought my motorcycle 20 years ago. Some people are just jealous jerks.

I'm not even going to bother posting this question on the BMW forums, as most everyone there is extremely pretentious and self-righteous. Not a friendly place to be! I've heard nothing but good things about the Vette community. (A small factor in my buying decision.)

This is an awesome community.

Now, I know that the Cayman S will outhandle the Vette, but it simply isn't as fast in a straight line. And when I think about it, we have very few curvy roads in Arizona where the Cayman could really open up.

Outhandle? Are you sure? Maybe you need a Z06...
Answers are above...

Enjoy your Corvette, and don't forget to post PICS!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:28 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Answers are above...

Enjoy your Corvette, and don't forget to post PICS!
Thank you for the answers! I appreciate it, my friend!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Now, I know that the Cayman S will outhandle the Vette, but it simply isn't as fast in a straight line. And when I think about it, we have very few curvy roads in Arizona where the Cayman could really open up.[/QUOTE]

It is a great engine and as long as it has been taken care of it is good for 200K +

Yes, even with the Z51 Performance Package it is fine.

I think everyone has at one time or another, but the 430 (436 with theNPP) is plenty of power for the street.

I am not sure what you mean about handling and what people say. I can only assume that you are referring to the seats. They are not the best for holding you in if you plan to do a lot od travck time, but those can be changed. For the street and normal driving no problem.

Pro and Cons. Some will say the the MN6 is the only way to go. I actually wanted the A6 auto with the paddle shifters. If you live in a high traffic area, the A6 is the way to go. Although it is not a true Duel Clutch paddle shift car you are stiill able to shift the gears with teh paddles and you can have the computer tuned to make the shifts a lot more crisp.

I have friends that auto cross and do the High Performance Driving experience at Sebring and they have not had any issues.

I have never owned a BMW, but I am thinking yes in this case as it is a standard Chevy V8 American built and we all know that the European cars are more to maintain then American.

All the time. A lot at local cruise ins and car shows, and sometimes at traffic light and at parking lots such as restaurants and so on. Just last Saturday a group of us went out for dinner and parked all the Corvette's together and when I came out there were a few people standing around looking over the cars and talking to one of my friends, I spent another half hour there answering questions.

The standard tire is the Goodyear Run Flat and yes they can eat them up in as little as 10,000 miles. There are plenty of tires out there that will give you much better wear, that is of course you are not lighten them up all the time.

10. Do you ever have to put up with people bringing up the negative stigma surrounding Corvette owners? You know, the whole "mid-life crisis, old rich guy" thing.[QUOTE=vettefordays;1585248096]About 6 months ago, I bought a BMW Z4 Sdrive30i. It was kind of an impulse decision and now I regret it terribly. The car is too soft, isn't even decently fast in a straight line and the interior is not what you would expect from a BMW. Right now, I am strongly considering selling it and buying either a Cayman S, a Z4 Sdrive35i (Twin turbo version) or a C6 Corvette.

Actually I have never had anyone say that to be, not saying that some may have been thinking it, but no in all the Corvette's I have owned that has never been an issue.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM
TXredc3
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned 10 or so cars in my lifetime. My 2009 base C6 is my favorite. If asked what do I like most about my car...it would be the engine. The LS3 has tons of power and is a blast to drive. Someone mentioned on this forum that they've had their C6 for 5 years (?) and they still get a little excited about driving the car EVERY time. I've only had mine for 2 months but I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 PM
vettefordays
Racer

What do you guys think is "high" mileage for a 2009-2011 C6? What kind of mileage should I be aiming for and what is the threshold for mileage I should be wary of?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Mine has been problem-free, but it's only 8-mo. old. Scuttlebutt here is that they are very reliable and durable.

I would say that it is, but with some caveats. The ride is very good, IMO--firm but not harsh. It's the least fatiguing car I've ever driven on a long haul.

You will need to change your driving style a bit, though, primarily in your handling of curbs and debris in the road. You don't just straddle curbs like you do with your BMW, and based on visual inspection the tires/wheels would not deal with a parallel curb well if contact is made. Frontal parking curbs will hit the curb guards and make an intimidating sound, but unless you ride up on them too much they won't do any harm except scrape some paint off the guards. Road gators are to be avoided, too, as they could wreak havoc with the air dam and/or other low-lying body parts.

I'll get booed and jeered for saying this, but I would trade 100hp for another 5mpg of city gas mileage . In street use I can't use the 430hp this car has in a safe manner, and "going through the gears" is just not possible in this area. After all, with an M6 by the time you shift into third gear you are going ~80mph.

I don't know who is saying the C6 handles badly, but in street use handling is excellent, IMO. I have no complaints, but I don't drive like a wild man. On a trip to the Ozarks the car felt like a caged predator that had just escaped, feeling right in its element. It is great in town, but quite a divine experience on a twisty mountain road. Helluva lot of fun flying through the twisties feeling the G's pulling on you.

I'm an MT guy, so I don't care how good the AT is.

Only every other day. Generally speaking people like these cars for their smooth styling.

The GS will wear tires faster than a base car, and mine (non-GS) look to be wearing fairly well. Based on current tread depth and mileage I expect 25-30k on these stock GY RFT.

Not yet, but I'm sure they think it. Screw 'em. I'm the one having all the fun and I'll leave the sulking to them.

Most residents of CF are courteous, but expect occasional sarcasm when asking questions, especially when you say things like wanting to trade 100 less HP for five more MPG. That said, I've learned a lot here and the pros far outweigh the diminutive cons.

Last edited by iclick; 10-23-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I owned an 06 Z4M, then a C5 vert, and now my 2013 Grand Sport coupe as well as a 2010 335i for my wife. While I loved the Z4M, it was out of warranty and maintenance/repair costs were starting to become a HUGE concern. My current 335i has an extended warranty on it, and will be sold before it runs out. I love the turbo engine, but the car just costs WAY too much for maintenance and repairs. If I were making a choice today after having owned the Z4M and the C6, I would choose the C6 over the GS every time.

As to your questions:
Very. The BMW engine is reasonably reliable, but it does have some gunk problems relating to direct injection (check the forums, they're pretty well documented), and even in modded form the LS3 is still very reliable.

Absolutely. I don't drive mine daily, but that's because I have an extra car and I'm too lazy to want to clean the Vette more. I drive it every day that it's not raining, and it's very comfortable as a DD.
Of course, but honestly the LS3 has more power than you can reasonably use on the street.
Vettes do not handle badly. I've had C4s, C5s and now the C6. They all handle great, but you have to know how to drive them. You can't floor them mid corner like you can a car with half their HP, but if you drive with common sense they will outhandle most other cars.
Haven't driven a AT Vette. Personally I think the MT is a must, but then like I said I have a spare car I can drive when I have to deal with heavy traffic. Even when I've gotten surprised by traffic though, I've found the C6 MT to be very easy compared to other cars in stop and go.
Haven't tracked the C6, but the C5 held up very well on to track use. I've got several friends that have tracked the C6, and they have not complained of any issues.
YES! I've owned BMWs and Porsches and all my Vettes (on the 5th one) have been WAY less to maintain.
I get lots of compliments on mine. Both from people that know cars and people that don't. Had a lady in a Mercedes compliment me at the grocery store the other day.
As others have stated, the stock Goodyears don't last well, but most people seem very happy when they switch to Michelin.
Nope, have never had anyone bring that up with any of my Vettes. I'm 43 now, and started with them when I was 29. Have never gotten any negative comments. Some people say they wish they could afford one, and I have to educate them that they actually can if they wan to look at a used C5/C6.
This is actually one of the biggest reasons I stay in Corvettes. The owner community is absolutely amazing. The only thing that comes close are some of the Porsche communities, but even there you still get snobs.
A Cayman may be faster around a tight autox course, but on a road course, most C6 LS3 cars will be faster due to higher HP.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I absolutely love my 2011 GS. Not one moment of regret or remorse. It's been rock solid and reliable as my daily driver. Just about 50K on the clock, and it looks brand spanking new. I don't track it, but I do autocross it and its done just fine with the abuse (and I don't really know what I'm doing under the hood, so there's nothing special that I've done in the way of maintenance or preparation for beating on it).

Don't really understand your negative handling comment....mine handles great (F55/Z51). I do understand some of the negative interior comments...if you're looking for a luxury car, look elsewhere. Although I'm a computer programmer by profession, I'm not really into gadgets and tech in my car. The Vette's interior is perfect for me. The HUD is about the only gadget that I think is a plus.

I never thought I'd take the targa top off...but there's nothing that will melt a hard work week away faster than pulling off the top and taking the back roads home around the Friday traffic!

Where I live, Porsches are a dime a dozen...nothing special about them here...can't imagine anyone getting a compliment. Corvettes are relatively rare around here and I get compliments all the time. I suck at autocrossing, but every time I pull up to the start line I get the "you've got the best looking car out here" comment from the starters....and there's plenty of way "cooler" cars out there. Never had a negative stigma comment.

The car's great, and I can't imagine anyone not enjoying the heck out of one. That being said, I've found that one of the joys of Corvette ownership is the community of fellow owners. This forum is a perfect example. The "Corvette Wave" is another cool thing....no, they don't change the world, but every one is just a little bright spot in your day. And as a newbie to autocrossing this year, I just pulled next to the Vette guys and was instantly welcomed to the fray! I've met many owners in my day-to-day life as well, from young guys to old guys (and old ladies too)....all great people and happy to chat about Vette's for a moment or two.

Good luck with your decision....and be sure to post some pictures if you join the club!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Just judging from all the replies here, I can see that this is indeed a very awesome community! And also, looking at all these answers, it seems like the Corvette has everything I am looking for. I have ruled out the Cayman, due to unreasonably high maintenance costs and it all comes down to the Z4 Sdrive35i VS C6.

The Sdrive35i has the N54 engine, the same as the one found in the 2007-2010 335i. (I believe those were the years.) It is a twin turbo engine with 300/300 in the power department. I believe the LS3 does 430/400? Anyway, with a Dinan stage 2 tune (requires an oil cooler) I would get an extra 87/116 for $1800. Even with that, I wouldn't be matching the Vette completely and the tune would void the warranty on the Z, meaning I would have to pay for EXPENSIVE maintenance out of pocket. Plus, those turbos are going to crap out someday. Another expensive repair. And to me N/A engines are just more fun to drive.

I'm honestly just writing this all out to convince myself

I think I am going to have to drive both cars back to back and see for myself. I know a friend with a Sdrive35is with the dinan tune. The "s" just means 30 extra horses from overboost, so it should give me a good feel for how the Z4 would be.

Oh, I meant no offense by the handling comment, I was just relaying what I hear around! Haven't driven a base C6 to be able to decide for myself!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

You should also read the sticky at the top for C6FAQs too, it will help you learn more about them. I've been a C6 owner since 2008, and will be for many more years.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I haven't driven a recent BMW sportscar but did drive one of the earlier Zs. I believe the operative phrase here on CF is, buy the newest model, best condition, lowest miles car you can comfortably afford. So, for instance if there is an '08 and '10 car available, '10 is more preferable. Same with 50K miles on clock vs. 12K. You get the point.

While this is no BMW or P-car, it does have some things that are expensive. If you go to tracking your car, I think you can expect that some other things that would last 50K miles or longer, will suddenly go wrong or need to be replaced. I'm thinking here of things like brakes, clutch, rotors, tires, fluids, etc.

Finally, if it were me (and it has been with other cars in the past) and I were getting a car either locally or from far away, I'd ask as many questions and seek as many pics as possible. I'd also have as many "sources" of info that I could comfortably afford, i.e., carfax, autocheck, GM IVH, local-to-car Corvette technician to put the car up on lift and tell you his impressions, etc. Expect to pay something for all the above except the GM one.

By comparison to the cars you mentioned, I don't think you will be disappointed when you get a Corvette. Note: I said when, not if. Matter of fact, I think you'll be elated.

And one last thing: when you do get one, we have a requirement that you post pics of it or we really take you to town/diss you.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM
vettefordays
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
I haven't driven a recent BMW sportscar but did drive one of the earlier Zs. I believe the operative phrase here on CF is, buy the newest model, best condition, lowest miles car you can comfortably afford. So, for instance if there is an '08 and '10 car available, '10 is more preferable. Same with 50K miles on clock vs. 12K. You get the point.

While this is no BMW or P-car, it does have some things that are expensive. If you go to tracking your car, I think you can expect that some other things that would last 50K miles or longer, will suddenly go wrong or need to be replaced. I'm thinking here of things like brakes, clutch, rotors, tires, fluids, etc.

Finally, if it were me (and it has been with other cars in the past) and I were getting a car either locally or from far away, I'd ask as many questions and seek as many pics as possible. I'd also have as many "sources" of info that I could comfortably afford, i.e., carfax, autocheck, GM IVH, local-to-car Corvette technician to put the car up on lift and tell you his impressions, etc. Expect to pay something for all the above except the GM one.

By comparison to the cars you mentioned, I don't think you will be disappointed when you get a Corvette. Note: I said when, not if. Matter of fact, I think you'll be elated.

And one last thing: when you do get one, we have a requirement that you post pics of it or we really take you to town/diss you.
What do you think of this car? It will most likely be gone by the time I sell my car, but it seems like a VERY good price.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=6&Log=0
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM
ioutrun
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

shell out the extra cash for a C6 Z06 if you can.. you will grow out of the base model quickly...there is your 100HP extra fix
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM
dreamingat30fps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry OP I don't have much input on the C6 since I'm in the same boat as you looking to get into one.

However I just wanted to post to represent for my Z4 brothers!

I currently have an 06 Z4MR and personally I think its the best blend of C6 and Cayman. For the poster with the newer Z I recommend at least looking at the Z4M. Interior fit and finish is garabage, but the drive is amazing. I have had a couple BMWs including the 335i and the 128i and hands down the Z4M is my favorite and personally I think one of the best BMWs in recent times. I'm actually considering very hard keeping it and trading in the SUV for the C6. Having my Z4MR AND a C6 in the garage would be

Anyways I will continue reading these thread with great interest.

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 10-23-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Strongly considering a C6. A few questions before I make a decision.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default price

What do you think of this car? It will most likely be gone by the time I sell my car, but it seems like a VERY good price.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=6&Log=0
looks like a great car mileage and price wise.have car inspected and check its history.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I like it a lot. It looks very good and the price is right. It's very well optioned and low miles. Now, do the homework on the various sources I mentioned and at the same time you can be talking with the owner for more pics, inside, outside, under the car, open hatch, open engine bay. If you go for this car there are at least three indie shops I can recommend to you in nearby San Diego where competent Corvetee-savvy techs can check it out. Maybe even do it in advance of your going there....hmmm, that may be possible since they'll work for you, not the current owner.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Very reliable. Many have put over 100K on theirs.

I am 51, fat and tall and I am very comfortable in my 13GS. I have owned it for 6 months and have 10K miles on it to give you an idea.

Of course...LOL

No, the car handles fantastic. I took mine to Colorado and pushed it through the mountains. It stuck to the curves like glue.

I love the AT. In 2012 they made some changes to the A6 to make it perform better. Many here will say the M6 is better. It's all personal preference.

Many here track their cars. I don't so I can't really say.

Cheaper than a BMW after warranty. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't BMW pay for everything during warranty, including tires?

All the time.

The factory tires go pretty quick but aftermarket last much longer.

Of course. Jealous people say stupid things all the time. On the other hand, they may be right.

Quick Reply: Strongly considering a C6. A few questions before I make a decision.