C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Headlight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 AM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Headlight Lens

I was at my local Vette parts store, when I saw a C6 with it's clear headlight lens looking pretty dingy... beyond yellow, closer to a golden brown... It was the first time I've ever seen a Vette's lens looking like that... I don't want mine to get that way. Any recommendations or tips to keep the clear lenses looking clear?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010BlueGS
I was at my local Vette parts store, when I saw a C6 with it's clear headlight lens looking pretty dingy... beyond yellow, closer to a golden brown... It was the first time I've ever seen a Vette's lens looking like that... I don't want mine to get that way. Any recommendations or tips to keep the clear lenses looking clear?
Have had my C6 for nearly nine years now. Have done nothing but keep them waxed. They still look new. Sound's like those might be from many automatic car washes and no extra care.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:30 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

At 94K Highway miles, mine are very badly sand blasted.

I use polishing compound on a high speed buffer to clean them up every so often.
The clear coat which GM puts on the headlight is very durable.
If you saw yellow faded lights, my guess would be that the owner removed the clear coat from the lights.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC

I use polishing compound on a high speed buffer to clean them up every so often.
If you saw yellow faded lights, my guess would be that the owner removed the clear coat from the lights.
Good points. Mine does have only 40,000 miles.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC

Wow, that's interesting.

Everyone seems to think that any sort of polishing will remove the clear coat and cause the plastic to degrade very quickly.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Wow, that's interesting.

Everyone seems to think that any sort of polishing will remove the clear coat and cause the plastic to degrade very quickly.
I have polished the crap out of mine, and have yet to remove the clear.

My last car, a G35, the clear came off and they would yellow out in about two months and I had to constantly polish them to keep them clear.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Is the clearcoat used on the headlight cover also used on the transparent top? They both seem to have a rainbow cast in certain light.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't have a problem with yellowing lenses, but, there seems to be dust or something on the inside of the lense and dust laying in the interior of the lights. How do you remove that stuff? It looks like it might be a complicated job.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:15 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

The lens problems seem to be all over the place. Some have had very good luck that their lens remain looking great while others have various problems from dirty inside to crazing, spider cracks.

Seems like batch problems more than anything else as I've seen lens on garage queens turn bad and lens in the Arizona Sun look great.

I've sold over 4000 replacement lens to date and the new ones replaced some really bad ones. The replacement lens are GM OEM so they're no better nor any worst than what would have came on the car originally.

As far as dirt and crap inside check the rubber boots that cover the bulbs on the back side of the assembly. Water and dirt can enter easily if these are loose, off or missing. The under side of the lens can get dirty if you get moisture in them then they dry out leaving a dirty film on the inside surface.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The lens's are coated with something that I suspect is intended to protect against UV degradation of the plastic. Avoid using glass cleaners that contain ammonia and other chemicals that don't mix well with plastics. Just use soap and water to clean. some opf us have experienced crazing, or a spider-webbing of small cracks in the lens, but I can't attribute it to anything in my case.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Your suspicion is correct. Every time I wet sand headlights, My final step is SEM Solaray UV headlight coating. Gives them that final crystal clear pop too.

http://www.semproducts.com/product-c...dlight-repair/

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Headlight Lens

Quick Reply: C6 Headlight Lens