C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voice Commands Are Misunderstood

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Default Voice Commands Are Misunderstood

I have a 2013 GS vert with voice command nav and bluetooth. The owner's manual provides a list of commands but my system misinterprets them every time. I'll say "Display Off" and the system will respond with something like "Historical POI's Displayed" which isn't even close to what I said. It is my understanding that the C6 nav/bluetooth system in a 2013 is essentially unchanged from 2005. Has anyone else had a "failure to communicate" like me?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:55 AM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Haven't really used it in the Vette, but when I first purchased my Yukon I found voice recognition would err if you talked too loud. If I remember correctly there is something in the instruction manual for the system about talking in "normal voice level" or something to that effect.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

People complain here all the time how horrible the nav is when the problem is actually that they just haven't taken the time to understand how to set all the hundreds of options. In this case, however, you are right. Talking to the nav can be like talking to "tech support" but there is hope.

OK, here is what I have found. The software behind voice recognition is trying to match sound frequency and timing to an internal database. So what is needed is to recognize what the designers would have thought you would sound like. They would have not expected you to be yelling. If you talk too loud the microphone can't handle the volume and clips the tops which has the same effect as increasing the high frequencies. They would have not expected you to whisper. The would have selected a neutral accent. If you're from Bahstn, fugetabotit bru. Finally, they have a limited amount of memory so there is a limited vocabulary. It is "Screen Off", not "Display Off". The one that always trips me up is everything is guidance this and guidance that but it is "Cancel Destination", not "Cancel Guidance". So the tip here is to talk normally using the correct words in a dialect you would use in a job interview. It's two words - "SCREEN OFF", not "SCRaNAUF".

Next the processor is analyzing frequencies and timing. You are more likely to get the correct result if you emphasize the frequencies it is looking for. Yes, is pronounced YYessssss. Screen is sskrreeeenn. Always extend and hiss the s's, keep a constant low frequency for many letters and use crisp k's.

The system is designed for short commands or long commands. You can say "Right Map Change to North Up Mode" or "Right Map Show North Up Mode" or "Right Map North Up Mode" or "Right Map Change to North Up" or "Right Map Show North Up" or just "Right Map North Up". My experience is the fewer words you use the fewer chances it has to make a mistake. It also means you have fewer chances to use the wrong word. Say "Right Map Display North Up" and it will never work.

With these tips you should be able to get 95% correct while sitting at a red light and 90% cruising on a smooth Interstate. But increase the background noise by accelerating with noisy tires on an oiled street with the windows down and it will be lucky to get it right 5% of the time. My experience is that I almost always try the voice command first and it works well enough I seldom have to resort to pushing buttons.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grrr8888 post.

How do you get it to answer. I have a Samsung Galxy. When it rings I must take it out of my pocket and swipe it to get it to answer. I push the answer button on the steering wheel but no joy. I push the phone button that pops up on the dispaly and also no joy. Once it is on I can put it down and talk.

Any hints?
Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

You can try what I do: Scream your command interspersed with a stream of expletives. It doesn't work, but it makes me feel better!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtee
Grrr8888 post.

How do you get it to answer. I have a Samsung Galxy. When it rings I must take it out of my pocket and swipe it to get it to answer. I push the answer button on the steering wheel but no joy. I push the phone button that pops up on the dispaly and also no joy. Once it is on I can put it down and talk.

Any hints?
I have an old '07 so no bluetooth. Sorry.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 AM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grrr8888 post.

Any hints?
Bump for the same issue on my 13.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Grrr8888 post.

Any hints?
Is the phone set to Car Mode? Do that and it should work the way you want.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

To answer I hit left side screen button usually.

Giving commands I use a low voice, like mentioned above I just make sure to distinguish my words.

(08 c6 nav unit with ISIMPLE 21 Bluetooth in my '05 c6)
Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When your phone rings hold the answer button for 2 seconds. If you just tap it quickly it doesn't answer.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

I had the same problem and called the tech group and they said if you have the nav system you need to hold the answer button for 2 seconds . I did that and it works perfectly I took a second look in the the manual and that is also what it says
Old 11-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by blue max
I had the same problem and called the tech group and they said if you have the nav system you need to hold the answer button for 2 seconds . I did that and it works perfectly I took a second look in the the manual and that is also what it says
\
Old 11-02-2013, 05:34 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jwf
When your phone rings hold the answer button for 2 seconds. If you just tap it quickly it doesn't answer.

Do this
Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grrr8888 post.

Any hints?
I had the same problem with my 2012 GS. I found that I was holding the answer button to long. A brief stab and I get it to answer all the time.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Grrr8888 post.

Any hints?
Hold the button on the steering wheel down 2 seconds. Don't simply push it but HOLD it down.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Well I went to the car and used some of your suggestions as well as going over the nav guide and guess what I got very good results.
I plan on spending more time with the system and getting better results.
Nice Job
BLUE MAX
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jwf
Originally Posted by PittMD1
I had the same problem with my 2012 GS. I found that I was holding the answer button to long. A brief stab and I get it to answer all the time.
Don't you just love automotive electronics?

Get notified of new replies

To Voice Commands Are Misunderstood

Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
People complain here all the time how horrible the nav is when the problem is actually that they just haven't taken the time to understand how to set all the hundreds of options. In this case, however, you are right. Talking to the nav can be like talking to "tech support" but there is hope.

OK, here is what I have found. The software behind voice recognition is trying to match sound frequency and timing to an internal database. So what is needed is to recognize what the designers would have thought you would sound like. They would have not expected you to be yelling. If you talk too loud the microphone can't handle the volume and clips the tops which has the same effect as increasing the high frequencies. They would have not expected you to whisper. The would have selected a neutral accent. If you're from Bahstn, fugetabotit bru. Finally, they have a limited amount of memory so there is a limited vocabulary. It is "Screen Off", not "Display Off". The one that always trips me up is everything is guidance this and guidance that but it is "Cancel Destination", not "Cancel Guidance". So the tip here is to talk normally using the correct words in a dialect you would use in a job interview. It's two words - "SCREEN OFF", not "SCRaNAUF".

Next the processor is analyzing frequencies and timing. You are more likely to get the correct result if you emphasize the frequencies it is looking for. Yes, is pronounced YYessssss. Screen is sskrreeeenn. Always extend and hiss the s's, keep a constant low frequency for many letters and use crisp k's.

The system is designed for short commands or long commands. You can say "Right Map Change to North Up Mode" or "Right Map Show North Up Mode" or "Right Map North Up Mode" or "Right Map Change to North Up" or "Right Map Show North Up" or just "Right Map North Up". My experience is the fewer words you use the fewer chances it has to make a mistake. It also means you have fewer chances to use the wrong word. Say "Right Map Display North Up" and it will never work.

With these tips you should be able to get 95% correct while sitting at a red light and 90% cruising on a smooth Interstate. But increase the background noise by accelerating with noisy tires on an oiled street with the windows down and it will be lucky to get it right 5% of the time. My experience is that I almost always try the voice command first and it works well enough I seldom have to resort to pushing buttons.
That's the best explanation I've ever heard.
But it still only gets me what I want, about 50% of the time.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My 2006 phone system never got anything right, I just don't use it. Must be me cause the Nissan Leaf Bluetooth doesn't recognize what I say either. Works perfectly for the sales person?? Very frustrating!!!!!.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

all voice commands suck. it's not just our nav. system, it's anything and everything to do with voice commands. did i say that right?

Quick Reply: Voice Commands Are Misunderstood