C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof stains

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM
MJB247
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof stains

Can someone tell me the best way to remove minor stains from a tan soft top?
Thanks, Matt

Last edited by MJB247; 11-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by MJB247
Can someone tell me the best way to remove stains from a tan soft top?
Thanks, Matt
Try scrubbing with a product called RAG TOP. I scrubbed my top last spring and couldn't believe the difference before and after. My top is black, not sure of your stain, hopefully?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

note that some stains won't come out(where the top folds, metal strut stains, etc. may not/probably won't come out).

now, from there, if you get raggtop, read the instructions very carefully and do it. soak the top w. water, really soaking it good not a spray. spray on their soap onto the areas which are really dirty. let it sit, but not dry out. scrub a little (softer brush, tooth brush, car brush, etc.). rinse out the spots.

spray on cleaner over complete top. rinse thoroughly. let it start to dry out so you can see if/how much of the spots are gone. if you want, wet the spots again with water, then hit it with the soap again, scrub a little, let sit. do not let it dry out. rinse again thoroughly. hopefully, you won't have to do it again, but that's about as far as you can go with this product. some people have used magic eraser with some success.

when you apply the sealer, make absolutely certain the top esp. the seams are dry. to me, unless it's 90 degrees outside, I let the car dry inside overnight or longer. then I spray on the sealer. note: it's not that easy to get off the overspray from glass, bodywork, etc. I cover those areas with saran. follow instructions. you don't need to soak the cloth but it should be fairly damp w. the spray. hope this works for you.

Last edited by AORoads; 11-08-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:10 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I've used Raggtopp, too, but I actually like plain old Tide better.

My top is beige, and it looks practically new--no stains at all. It's had some really bad dirt after some road trips, and one time a flock of starlings took a collective dump on it, but Tide made it good as new. I use a wheel brush dedicated solely for this purpose. Just don't let the soap solution dry on the paint. It doesn't seem to hurt the paint, but if you let it dry, it's harder to get off when washing the actual car.

For the dirtier areas, I use a 1:1 ratio with water and let it sit for awhile before scrubbing. I also don't bother getting the top wet before soaping it up.

Letting the top dry completely before putting it down will also help minimize any "wrinkling" where it folds (especially important with a light-colored top). An hour outside in the sun or overnight in the garage have worked well for me.

lisa
Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

As a boater of many years, I would suggest stopping in at your marina/boat dealer and ask what they recommend for cleaning boat tops. Pretty sure it's the same material as the vert tops and boat tops live a much harder life than our Vettes….

Get notified of new replies

To Roof stains

Quick Reply: Roof stains