C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skip shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Skip shift

Is there any preference for the skip shift eliminator between the one that connects at the transmission or the one that goes in the fuse box? Pros, cons, no real difference? Have to buy one for the wife's Grand Sport. Could I rob the one off of her old C5 with no issues? Thanks
Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I have done both. The skip shift eliminator in my 2005 and the blown smart fuse on my 2013 GS. They both work. The smart fuse is cheaper and easier to install. I picked up a pack of 6 smart fuses for $2.

Also, if you ever get a tune you can have CAGS tuned out.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for the fuse, it is just easier to do and undo, takes 2 seconds. Works just the same as the other..
Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Could someone please give me some more information about this fuse option? I was planning to buy a skip-shift eliminator, but wasn't aware there were two types. And what is meant by "blown smart fuse" here?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by vertigogo
Could someone please give me some more information about this fuse option?
Very simple. Go buy yourself some mini blade smart fuses. Should look something like this.

Take one (doesn't matter the amps) and blow it. I used my car battery charger to blow it.

Then replace the stock fuse with the blown smart fuse. Here you see a fuse that is "glowing" indicating that it is a blown smart fuse. Done.

*** Please consult your manual in case the fuse location is different than the image.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Thanks so much for taking time to post those great photos.

At the risk of being flamed for ignorance, I'll ask how you blow a fuse. And I'll also ask why I can't just blow the fuse that I assume is already in that location (rather than buying a new one and blowing it).

And is that fuse only for the skip-shift function? That is, blowing that fuse won't affect anything else, and won't cause any error messages to appear, etc.?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

And I'll also ask why I can't just blow the fuse that I assume is already in that location (rather than buying a new one and blowing it).
Tell me about that too. Or if a blown fuse works, why not just take the fuse out?

Think I know which way to go now. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

A regular fuse won't work, it will set off a check engine light. These fuses have a LED in there that has enough resistance to keep the CEL off, but disable the CAGS system.

Simple to blow it, just carefully short it across a battery, some guys use a battery charger. Others take a small drill & open up the fuse link. The choice is yours.

I used one before, it worked for awhile and then failed. If that happens, just turn it around in the socket, the other LED will perform the eliminator function for you (there are 2 LEDS in there).
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Maybe one of these days the government will realize that skip shift doesn't save any gasoline and not require it.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Originally Posted by jft69z
Simple to blow it, just carefully short it across a battery
Thanks. So I just touch one leg of the fuse to one battery terminal and use a wire to go from the other battery terminal to the other fuse leg? And the 12V battery will short it out? Does the wire need to be any certain gauge?

I apologize for my lack of electrical knowledge.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Yeah, just short the fuse across the pos & neg battery leads. You don't need jumper cables or anything that large, it will zap instantly anyways. I may have even used my battery jump box to pop the one I used.

For a 10 amp fuse, a 12 or 14 ga wire would be great.

Last edited by jft69z; 11-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The (copyright 2008) picture Homer3D posted isn't his; in fact it was lifted from here:

Last edited by leres; 01-11-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: broken link
Old 01-11-2014, 03:25 PM
vertigogo
Pro

Originally Posted by leres
The (copyright 2008) picture Homer3D posted isn't his; in fact it was lifted from here:
That seems to be a broken link.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:27 PM
vforrest
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another idea...

Originally Posted by flyeri
Tell me about that too. Or if a blown fuse works, why not just take the fuse out?

Think I know which way to go now. Thanks for the reply.
I hate this feature on my 05 and have some mod work schedule this spring which includes a tune. The skip shift feature is combination of engine temperature 169+...speed 15-19 mph and throttle less 21% for it to kick in. My tuner has the HP system and says he resets the temperature setting for this feature in the car computer to a fictitious high number that the car never reaches for the skip shift to enable and it all goes away. So I plan on dealing with my dreaded skip shift feature that way.

Sounds good to me but can't confirm it until spring when it comes out of storage and the mod work is completed.

Last edited by vforrest; 01-13-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:43 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Maybe one of these days the government will realize that skip shift doesn't save any gasoline and not require it.
The government doesn't require it. In order to avoid a gas-guzzler tax the government requires a certain gas mileage under certain conditions. GM has found CAGS to be the easiest and least intrusive method of accomplishing this.

I accidentally trigger mine about twice a year. To me, not worth worrying about, and much better than paying a few thousand bucks in tax.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
leres
Pro

That seems to be a broken link.
Fixed, thanks!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
The government doesn't require it. In order to avoid a gas-guzzler tax the government requires a certain gas mileage under certain conditions. GM has found CAGS to be the easiest and least intrusive method of accomplishing this.

I accidentally trigger mine about twice a year. To me, not worth worrying about, and much better than paying a few thousand bucks in tax.

Get notified of new replies

To Skip shift

Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
This is the absolute truth...I disabled mine less than a year after I got it and noticed nothing different in my gas mileage. You'd think the Corvette would be a gas hog once disabled, the way they explain their reasoning behind its purpose.

I personally think "skip shift" is a safety hazard in a situation where one might need to accelerate out of harm's way, just as it activates!

I used the blown smart fuse and it's worked perfectly for the past 4-5 years.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM
vertigogo
Pro

What happens when the LED of the smart fuse burns out? Will I get a message on the dashboard? I know I can turn the fuse around to use the other LED, but I'm just wondering how long the LED will last and what will happen when it dies.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:45 PM
leres
Pro

What happens when the LED of the smart fuse burns out? Will I get a message on the dashboard? I know I can turn the fuse around to use the other LED, but I'm just wondering how long the LED will last and what will happen when it dies.
Smart fuse LEDs rarely burn out; I've been using the same one for 6 years. If yours does burn out, the car will throw a P0803 during the second consecutive trip (aka run cycle). The code will reset the first run cycle after you correct the problem. (DTC history persists for 40 run cycles before clearing.)

Quick Reply: Skip shift