C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Stereo Replacement

Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 PM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Default C6 Stereo Replacement

I am thinking about replacing my stock stereo w/Navi in my 05 Vert. Any suggestions? Is it worth it?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm shopping around to do this also in my 13.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Considering the same on my '11.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Here is the link to what I have so far for Black Friday package specials

http://shop.doubledmods.com/BLACK-FR...ETTE_c2909.htm
Old 11-27-2013, 11:21 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a Kenwood DNX5120 in my 2006 C6 and it was well worth it. I opted for a little older model Kenwood because since I didn't have steering wheel controls I wanted an old fashion volume **** I could grab and turn. It's worked out extremely well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...tallation.html

Last edited by glennhl; 11-27-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Nitehawke53
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed a Keenwood KNX890HD in my 13 and it is well worth the money.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:01 AM
nykbob
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently replaced my stock 09 Nav with Pioneer AppRadio 3. I use it with a jailbroken iPhone 5 with AppExtension tweak and parking brake bypass. The unit works off my phone which is what I was looking for. It is a little buggy but I really like what I can do with it. The ability to use Pandora or any other music app is just the beginning. Passengers can watch movies, videos, even live TV. With DashCommand I can check engine function and even check trouble codes. Almost anything I can do on my phone, I can do on the AppRadio. It is really cool to select from 4 different navigations including Waze. Hell, I can even look at the weather radar to see what type of weather I'm driving into. I think new cars will be moving toward phone-car integration. The AppRadio gives me this now. You can tell I like it.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently bought a new Pioneer H/U (from Dennis at DoubleD) to replace the Bose Nav in my '08. I did the H/U swap two weeks ago and I am absolutely amazed at the improvement in sound quality, just from a new H/U.

I also bought a 10" subwoofer, with amp and enclosure, but I haven't installed those yet.

Dennis did some pre-wiring for me, which was a big help. I got the Maestro steering wheel control module (from Dennis), and lemme tell you, this Maestro controller is just fabulous. It comes with a short USB cable that you plug into your computer, and then log into Maestro web site. Then you select your car, your steering wheel controls and your H/U - and then you can proceed to EASILY configure your steering wheel buttons just the way you want them. There is a terrific feature on the Maestro unit which allows you to select two commands for each button, one for quick press, and second command for 'press and hold'. I can't say enough good stuff about the Maestro unit. Be sure and get that if you have steering wheel controls.

After you set up your Maestro unit, you can print out a very handy credit-card size 'reference card', that looks like this:

I will add one further note. I had a Kenwood H/U in my C5, and it was OK. My new Pioneer H/U is much easier to use and set up, plus it sounds way better than my Kenwood. The Pioneer H/U's utilize simple graphic equalizers, whereas the Kenwoods get into obscure things like "Q factor" and all other kinds of nonsense that might be good if you have a true audiophile system. But for every day use, the Pioneer wins hands-down in my book. I also recently put a double-din Pioneer in my Cadillac DeVille, and it is perfect.

Bottom line, get Pioneer and Maestro, and get 'em all from Dennis.

Good luck

Last edited by Chevy-SS; 11-28-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:31 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Are any of these systems voice command compatible?? Anything's gotta be better than the stone age system in my 13 GS.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Are any of these systems voice command compatible?? Anything's gotta be better than the stone age system in my 13 GS.
Yeah, the C6 voice command system is a cruel joke.

But keep in mind that none of the aftermarket systems will give you the turn arrow/distance in the HUD like factory.

Life is full of choices.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:06 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Did mine, just the head unit...Worth it/
Old 11-28-2013, 12:45 PM
kenthomas4
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
Did mine, just the head unit...Worth it/
Borax man,what head unit did you go with? I want one with Bluetooth and Navi.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:15 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by kenthomas4
I am thinking about replacing my stock stereo w/Navi in my 05 Vert. Any suggestions? Is it worth it?
Go with DD (forum vendor) ...I did with my Kenwood....they are great with the sale and sales support...you will be satisfied...

Old 11-28-2013, 06:32 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Many choices

I used to install for a living (many years ago) and there are many double din choices for a Vette so that with a major brand (Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, etc.) you can't go wrong; just be aware Vettes are packed tight and are not easy to work on AND if yours came with a Bose system it is extra work, such as needing a special module if you want the central chiming system to remain intact or if you want your steering wheel controls to continue to function....it is more the quality of the installer and their experience with Vettes than the equipment........
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 PM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nykbob
I recently replaced my stock 09 Nav with Pioneer AppRadio 3. I use it with a jailbroken iPhone 5 with AppExtension tweak and parking brake bypass. The unit works off my phone which is what I was looking for. It is a little buggy but I really like what I can do with it. The ability to use Pandora or any other music app is just the beginning. Passengers can watch movies, videos, even live TV. With DashCommand I can check engine function and even check trouble codes. Almost anything I can do on my phone, I can do on the AppRadio. It is really cool to select from 4 different navigations including Waze. Hell, I can even look at the weather radar to see what type of weather I'm driving into. I think new cars will be moving toward phone-car integration. The AppRadio gives me this now. You can tell I like it.

Yep what he said.
I just put an Appradio 3 in my vehicle over the weekend and love it so far. Using Android it works great.

If I was on a budget I would do the Jensen VX6020
Never was an Alpine or Kenwood fan.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:09 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by kenthomas4
Borax man,what head unit did you go with? I want one with Bluetooth and Navi.
I picked up a used Pioneer 3200? from a member for cheap, it has dvd and bluetooth but no nav..Bought a interface on Ebay to make it plug and play, installed myself...Total investment $300

Last edited by boraxman; 11-29-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Stereo Replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Stereo Replacement