C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio static goes to full volume when starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:31 PM
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Radio static goes to full volume when starting?

I got into my C6 today and when I went to start it the radio speakers went to full volume with a deafening static noise. It made me jump! I thought that a jet had landed nearby. I took a while to realize the noise was coming for inside my car. I don't know if the car started because I could not hear the engine. I tried shutting off the radio and then the ignition but the noise continued. It only stopped by opening the driver's door. The car was not running. I tried to start it a second time and the same thing happened. This time I shut off the car and opened the door. Then it started with the door open and the radio was at normal volume on the last station I had tuned earlier.
Has this happened to anyone else? Should I just write it off as UEP - Unexplained Electronic Phenomenon?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

That event has never happened to me but I have had mine lock up with blank screen and no buttons working until I did a disconnect and reconnect of the battery. I had to do that a few times over maybe a month. Then one day I went to start the car and the battery was dead. Was running fine one day and the next dead. I put it on a charger (not a tender) for about 6 hours and everything was fine for several months and the same thing started happening again. During this whole time my voltage reading was very erratic swinging from as low as 11.5 to 13.5. Never went over 13.5 even when first started. I replaced the alternator with a Billet Tech 170A and have been problem free ever since. Voltage at 14.5 constant.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Migs08
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the same problem. Very annoying.

The buzz/static is intermittent and independent of radio volume, so I doubt it's a bad door amp/speaker.

Already tried disconnecting the battery for 15 min. Any other suggestions??

Get notified of new replies

To Radio static goes to full volume when starting?

Quick Reply: Radio static goes to full volume when starting?