C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 - c7

Old 11-27-2013, 12:20 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

Seriously?

So you don't believe anything in the magazines. You don't want to post in the C7 section. You don't want to believe any of the improvements that GM advertises. So by posting in the C6 section you'll get a better answer?

Go drive one.
Did you miss my point or you don't know the answer and don't want to admit it?

What are the differences that make such a big difference?

Contribute a little tech here.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:14 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
Not an entirely good analogy, but if you were driving a Lamborghini Diablo when the Aventador came out, how would you feel?

A. My Diablo is no longer current. I must have an Aventador. Now.
B. I really like my Diablo. It still turns heads. I'll wait a while.
C. My Diablo is trash.
D. The Reventon is "better", but not THAT much better.
E. Dude, are you serious? I'm driving a Lamborghini.
With this logic it'd be like comparing a C4 to a C7. There is a huge leap.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 PM
AK47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both are nice. it comes down to your taste in looks. are you planning on taking the car to the track? Because that is the only way you would able to tell the difference and then it all depends how good of a driver you are...
Old 11-27-2013, 01:56 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Being that the C7 is the latest greatest..as the C6 was 8 years ago,it stands to reason and one would hope for GM's sake that everything about the car is different,faster and better in some way shape or form.Some guy is doing 11's bone stock at the drag strip with his C7.Good for him,good for GM. Someday,when I get passed the look of the car I may buy a used one.For now,I personally think it's butt ugly and that surpasses any improvement in speed,technology and anything else one might think of. The C6 doesn't look all that different than the C5 in some regards,but it's 100 times better!!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:05 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb100
I wouldn't dare post this on the C7 forum but maybe here I can get some honest information without hysteria.

I'm driving an LS3 vert, Z51, NPP, A6. Its my 4th vette. I like vettes. I'll likely get a C7 next year or perhaps wait until the year after, I really like the car.

Normally, I take magazine reviews with a grain of salt as they are known shills for advertisers will say anything to increase circulation but, across the board, reviews of the C7 have been sensational.

I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, dealers around here haven't made demos available.

Its starting to sound like the C6 is just a lump, compared to the C7 and I'm trying to figure out why the disrespect for the C6.

When I compare the two on specs and layout, it doesn't look like there should be an enormous difference. The basic layout of the two cars is the same, front engine, rear transaxle, frame, subframes, leaf springs, shocks. Gas tanks in the same place. Weight is within a couple of percent. I can see where it might have improved steering feel but my car's steering is way better than my C5 and better than LS2 cars I've driven. I think the C6 Z51 has pretty good road feel through the steering and suspension.

Engine output is not different enough to be sensational, the C7 supposedly has improved midrange.

The interior seems to have better quality materials and the seat construction seems much improved but door cards, dash, etc don't seem all that different. I, personally think the seats in my car are comfortable for the street, not so much for the track.

So I'm seeing some nice styling and interior design and an incremental increase in performance specs. Not the game changer the reviewers all seem to be raving about. Its not mid engine, there's no dual clutch.

Again, I'm not dissing the C7 and I'm looking forward to buying one but, based on the layout and specs, where are the revolutionary changes make the C6 barely driveable?
I went and bought one of the garage queen ZR1's! 2250 miles for 50k under sticker! Then you don't think about the C-7 so much! Now that they can be bought for less
than a loaded C-7. It's a no brainer! They will hold the value better.
Much faster and more impressive! Then if GM does make a faster car down the road it will be double the price.
Then the cycle starts again!
That said I may grab a C-7 for the third stall on the new house I'm looking at!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-27-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Old discussion, and to summarize all the previous hundreds of comments here ya go:

1) The C7, honestly, is a much more advanced, improved automobile than the C6. The new owners say so, the magazines say so, and GM says so. And it should be given the basic C6 design is almost 10 years old. For example, the now standard use of aluminum and carbon fiber chassis, which was only available on the C6 Z06 and ZR1, is a big deal.

2) There have been 4 constant reasons a C6 owner says they will not upgrade to a C7: money (cost to change is too high) , appearance (the exterior design is considered not attractive), quality ( many of these early C7's seem plagued by many QC issues), or fit (the C7 seems smaller and a tighter fit to larger drivers) . Ironically, performance is usually not a main issue.

3) C7 owners now trash the C6, C6 owners now trash the C7, everyone still trashes Porsche.

If you like the looks, have the money, fit, and don't mind some initial quality issues the C7 is a major win. But if any of these are a problem, the C6, in any of its forms, is still pretty damn good.

Last edited by csf; 11-27-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CasualGuy
I'm out at Spring Mountain for the Ron Fellows school this week, and I've been driving the heck out of the C7 Z51 for the past two days. Coming out of a 2011 Grand Sport coupe (my daily driver), the difference in comfort, performance, and feel was honestly greater than I expected.

The cockpit ergonomics and seating position feel quite a bit different than my GS, and the seats in the C7 are phenomenal and really hold you in place during track work. When I've tracked my GS I hang on to the steering wheel for dear life because I'm sliding all over the place in those seats. The seat ventilation is really nice for keeping cool when you're working up a sweat out on track.

Performance and feel are where the C7 really leaps ahead of my GS. Is it faster in a straight line than my GS? Probably only marginally. But you can definitely feel the torque of the LT1 earlier in the rev band, whereas the LS3 doesn't really come alive until around 4K RPM. On track, it simply feels more solid and tossable. It's extremely easy to steer the C7 with the throttle in a long sweeper, and it's very eager to turn in.

At risk of bringing out the Porsche haters (Why can't we all just get along?), I will say this. I recently did a Porsche Sport Driving School, and after driving the Carrera S and Cayman S I found my GS somewhat lacking. I'm sure it could manage better or comparable numbers to the Porsches in terms of acceleration, grip, etc., but it just didn't feel as planted and as willing to do what the driver asked of it. I didn't have the good fortune to drive the C7 back-to-back with those cars, but driving it on track is a very similar experience to driving a Carrera S--and that's a good thing.

More than anything, this is a testimony to the hard work and skill of the Corvette engineering team. It's validation that you don't have to give the Corvette a revolutionary change like a mid-mounted flat-plane V8 to improve it. Like so many things, the devil is in the details, and driving the C7 tells me the Corvette team has really been sweating those details during the development of this car.
Oh, look, a serious response that also happens to be well written.

Thanks. I really enjoyed reading it. This is the kind of feedback that I find most useful when I try to learn more about the great car that is the Corvette. I currently drive a GS, and I'm really excited about buying a C7 next year. Thanks for your post.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
being that the c7 is the latest greatest..base car! As the c6 was 8 years ago,it stands to reason and one would hope for gm's sake that everything about the car is different,faster and better in some way shape or form.some guy is doing 11's bone stock at the drag strip with his c7.good for him,good for gm. Someday,when i get passed the look of the car i may buy a used one.for now,i personally think it's butt ugly and that surpasses any improvement in speed,technology and anything else one might think of. The c6 doesn't look all that different than the c5 in some regards,but it's 100 times better!!
fixed! :d
Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The C5 was mentioned as being superior to the C4? Well I still own a C4, along with the newer editions. There is a lot of C4 in the C6, the C4 performs surprisingly well. Definitely under rated.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I hope some Vette magazine does a test of the C7/751 against a standard C6/Z06. Given that the engine performance is very close and with all the C7 updates and improvements you would think it could beat the Z. But in track testing a VIR the C7 never could, it was about 2 seconds behind.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:27 PM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
Old discussion, and to summarize all the previous hundreds of comments here ya go:

1) The C7, honestly, is a much more advanced, improved automobile than the C6. The new owners say so, the magazines say so, and GM says so. And it should be given the basic C6 design is almost 10 years old. For example, the now standard use of aluminum and carbon fiber chassis, which was only available on the C6 Z06 and ZR1, is a big deal.

2) There have been 4 constant reasons a C6 owner says they will not upgrade to a C7: money (cost to change is too high) , appearance (the exterior design is considered not attractive), quality ( many of these early C7's seem plagued by many QC issues), or fit (the C7 seems smaller and a tighter fit to larger drivers) . Ironically, performance is usually not a main issue.

3) C7 owners now trash the C6, C6 owners now trash the C7, everyone still trashes Porsche.

If you like the looks, have the money, fit, and don't mind some initial quality issues the C7 is a major win. But if any of these are a problem, the C6, in any of its forms, is still pretty damn good.
Nailed it.....
Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Fastcat3
Racer

Love my C6, but there really is quite a difference. I don't know how anyone could say otherwise if they have driven one and become familiar with all the new changes.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 PM
tonysrep
Racer

Personally for me ,race wise ,I want to see the 24 hours of lemans with a c-7, remember last year how every competitor cheated and forced a weight penalty on the old c-6 because lets face it was unbeatable... I know those that have driven the c-7 state it feels faster but I could have sworn one of the magazines claimed the best they could do was over 4 seconds 0-60? sounds about the same to me...I will add I did see the c-7 first hand in april at the bash and I love the brown interior they had in a nightrace blue convert.. but it will be a while before we see a widebody c-7 so I'll keep the 2013 gs for now at least until the tail lights are somewhat round again Besides I love this car ,a year old with 14046 on the clock
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Suprpig
Racer

How are you driving and what do you want? From what I can see on the surface... if you just go out and occasionally get on it... what's the big deal. If you track it or into maximum performance probably a different story. Most people come no where near taking their cars to the limit... on the track or on a regular basis. I am very content with my GS C6. I use to (may still have) the track record for my C4. If I was still tracking like I did with my C4 I would step up because I am competitive. I don't care about being a paper tiger and saying... "my car is faster"!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
The c7 has improvements over the c6 but it for sure doesn't look better lol...In fact it isn't even really pretty. It really needs some dental and some *** work to make your knees weak like the c5&6 still does.

I've purchased four c6's but there will be no c7 until the *** is fixed. And yes beauty is subjective but someone here thinks she's hot...

The c7 forum is very entertaining though...lol I'm guessing the c6 owners that moved up appreciates the c6 still and are more objective than most of the newbies c7 guys up there who might rank high on the retard scale. They make Porsche guys seem normal.
Agree, the *** needs to be fixed before I buy. I'll guess that GM will do this rear-end fix mid-C7 production run (just for people like us and to boost sales). My C6 Grand Sport is such a beautiful car. The only thing I'd trade is the C7 interior.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Z_Monzter
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by csf

Nailed it!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:54 AM
wide one
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 4 generation of corvettes and loved everyone of them, so the same goes for the C7. I've put to much money in my C6 and love the results so Ill be holding off for a couple of years to see how they move towards the higher performance model. If I was rich Id have both now.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 - c7

Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Mrs. Lucky and I decided that this was the year to get serious about buying a Vette...We figured the best place to look at the newest C7 cars was the Carlisle show this past August....So we walked around for two days looking at every Vette and admiring mannnny fine cars.. The new C7s looked very sharp as we ogled them from all angles...discussed each color...sat in them and made plenty of Vrooom..Vrooom noises...a bit dorky but I've never had a Vette before so I was getting into it...

Our original intent was to see which color combo we would like to order for a new C7 vert buttttt something happened...we came away liking the C6 GS vert better than anything else....Is the new C7 a better overall Vette? I'm sure it probably is....but there just wasn't anything that made us feel we have to have this car.....We liked the color Supersonic Blue...look and stance of the GS so the search began....In October Corvette Mike of New England just received a sharp 2011GS 3LT Vert with 2252 miles that needed a new WNY home....we're very happy new members of the Vette community and very thankful on this special day of Thanksgiving....

Last edited by Jefff1; 11-28-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 11-28-2013, 12:00 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefff1
Our original intent was to see which color combo we would like to order for a new C7 vert buttttt something happened...we came away liking the C6 GS vert better than anything else....Is the new C7 a better overall Vette? I'm sure it probably is....but there just wasn't anything that made us feel we have to have this car.....We liked the color Supersonic Blue...look and stance of the GS so the search began....In October Corvette Mike of New England just received a sharp 2011GS 3LT Vert with 2252 miles that needed a new WNY home....we're very happy new members of the Vette community and very thankful on this special day of Thanksgiving....
Congratulations on getting the Vette you really wanted and joining the Forum. I think Supersonic Blue is a great color. I definitely want a vert next. (On my first Vette now.)
Old 11-28-2013, 12:04 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

When I'm in front of the computer screen, I want a C7.

When I'm behind the wheel of my 2009 coupe, or even just walking by it in the garage, I don't even think about a C7.

I already put the money aside for it, but it is winter here now (snowing today) so hopefully I'll forget about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 - c7