C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many are happy with a stock C6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:02 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Stock 07 Vert here. LS2 has plenty of power. But I suspect EPA has crippled it some. So I have a canned tune (Intune) and plan on doing a CAI since the LS2 air intake is sorely lacking IMO. A custom tune will be done in the spring. Trying to decide on muffler mod. I may do it over the winter along with some more appearance mods.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't necessarily mod my car.......... I just helped it become what it SHOULD have been in the first place!!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
In my opinion there are two classes of Corvette owners. People who actually use their car and people who don't use their car but like to sit next to them and brag about how great the performance is. You fit into the minority group of people (some times called RACERS) who actually use their cars. You know the performance you have available and enjoy it. If you ever decide to mod the car to improve performance I believe it will be because you want to experience a lower ET at the strip or push the car to a higher top speed at some event. The other group some times called WAXERS are just a mystery to me.

Bill
The car is awesome the way it is. I did not get the GS because I didn't want the stiffer springs since we don't have a decent track around here and %70 of my driving will be road trips and I wouldn't really need that package unless I found I could drive the car to %90 of its capability and needed to go faster. I think these cars even in 3LT form are more capable than the majority of people who drive them and that is part of what makes them so cool. I would love the supercharged model but I bet someone like Randy Probst could beat my lap time in my 3LT even if I was driving the supercharged model.
But I do understand the appeal of the power of the higher HP engines in a straight line acceleration contest and think that is why most people buy them because a lot of us can mash the go pedal in a straight line for a limited distance. I'm glad the car is stable at high speeds and doesn't start moving around like cars like mustangs, camaros, and challengers.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Snowing here so just bench racing for now lol
Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I spent somewhere around 15 grand modding my 95 about 11 years ago.Supercharger,built engine a little etc etc..then I modded the 01 with headers and a cam...the 05 had a tune and some interior and other cosmetics...the 1st 08 had a tune and z06 wide booty...the 2nd 08 was modded when I got it with headers,vararam a tune and stuff.The NPP sounded great with that setup by the way.My current 2013 GS is stock except for the console cover which I had left over from the previous Vette.I think I got the mod bug out of my system for the most part.The car is fast as hell,has 436 HP that I'll probably never use all of and I've learned over the years that spending 500 bucks on a different air filter is wasted money...so yea,I'm happy with my stock setup and no plans to mod in the future...
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 08C6
Picked up my car early November...Drove it once - definetly rocks...As far as modding my theory from over the years...more air in and more air out !!! Intake and exhaust are basic add ons...From there enjoy your ride...
Agree. My A6 '13 has Bullets and opened shroud. Picks up a good deal of hp from just these 2 mods for $1050. Other than that, it is just the way I wanted it. Looks great, Torch Red, sounds better.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

I will change the air filter element to something like a K&N but will be keeping the stock airbox since you never know when you are going to be away on a trip and get caught in a heavy downpour on the road. I think the stock airbox is designed with that in mind but do understand how a CAI works. Is there anything other than a K&N element that everyone likes?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
I will change the air filter element to something like a K&N but will be keeping the stock airbox since you never know when you are going to be away on a trip and get caught in a heavy downpour on the road. I think the stock airbox is designed with that in mind but do understand how a CAI works. Is there anything other than a K&N element that everyone likes?
that attack blue thing on the prior page fits in the horn I believe. someone will correct me if I'm wrong tho.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:08 PM
vforrest
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indeed....

Originally Posted by boraxman
Stock is fine for me...Cant get traction as it is/

+1....can I break my wheels loose damn near anytime I want? So how does more HP matter then...you can go scary fast or even faster!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:15 PM
ejbrace
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 23 Posts

stock is good to go for me.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:21 PM
BETA
Safety Car

Just traded my 91 C-4 for an 07 C6, so the power difference is amazing to me. Previous owner installed a new intake and corsa exhaust. Pretty sure I won't do anything else to the car except wax the paint off of it. Guess it depends what you want to do with it. If you're looking for great numbers on the track, you may want to customize...personal preference.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
In my opinion there are two classes of Corvette owners. People who actually use their car and people who don't use their car but like to sit next to them and brag about how great the performance is. You fit into the minority group of people (some times called RACERS) who actually use their cars. You know the performance you have available and enjoy it. If you ever decide to mod the car to improve performance I believe it will be because you want to experience a lower ET at the strip or push the car to a higher top speed at some event. The other group some times called WAXERS are just a mystery to me.

Bill
Call me a WAXER Bill. I enjoy the Corvette for what it is. I enjoy the look, feel, the compliments and just knowing the potential of the performance is awesome. I enjoy your technical help.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

I have to say that I have been VERY pleased with my '09 2LT convertible. I personally prefer the "narrow" body and love the ride and performance!

With that said, one of the attractions the Corvette had for many (me included) is the ease and availability of items to personalize.

I am swapping my exhaust system, mainly for sound but also for performance (albeit negligible). I don't have the NPP but suspect I would have swapped it out as well! I will likely tweak a few other items but out of sheer preference not necessity!

My car is a 98% solution for me; the other 2% is a big part of the fun!

/r

Allen
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I'm not happy with Stock anything! But the 427 will not be modded with anything but cosmetic enhancements
John -
Agree my 427 is more than fast enough for the street! A couple of cosmetic touches and MGW shifter and that's it.
S -
Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Couldn't resist the end of model run deals and got a 2013 GS earlier this year. Did the 4LT with NPP and MRC, and I have to say it is by far the best Vette I've ever owned and also the best car overall that I've ever had. Put down just under 400 to the wheels at 300 miles on it, and I put LS7 exhaust manifolds to bump it over the 400 mark (made 407RWHP). Only other mod I've done was the LS7 intake to clean up the engine bay a little and hopefully add a little sound (couldn't detect any more though). Doesn't add any power as the '12 and '13 models already come with the LS9 air filter, which will perform as good (or better) than any of the aftermarket intakes out there. I keep thinking about doing a cam for upper 400 to the wheels, or a blower (E-Force or Heartbeat) for 500-550 to the wheels, but honestly the car just doesn't need it (and it would kill the warranty).

I've driven the car on two significant trips so far: one for about 700 miles to Eureka Springs, and the other to the Chattanooga area for about 1700 miles including a run over the Tail of the Dragon. The car was the absolute best cruising car I've ever owned (did an entire day of driving to Chattanooga and was perfectly fine at the end, no fatigue, back pain, etc). Add in the awesome handling, power and looks and it really is a "home run".

Definitely very happy with it, and don't regret not waiting for a C7 at all. Now once the C7 Z06 comes out, I may have to reconsider...
Old 12-05-2013, 08:11 PM
plumalan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Default I Love every thing about my c6

The only thing that didn't come from the factory is a boat load of dealer installed options. I like the wide bodies but I also like the sleek styling of the original body, very sleek and smooth.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Back, thirty+ years ago! it seemed it was a competition for "pissing rights" as to who had the most horsepower under the hood so there was a lot of engine mods that seemed to take place. I had a friend running an L88 on the street that was the top of the chain in those days.

At 505 hp, our '13 427 convertible has more than enough muscle under the hood, stock, out of the box, to keep me happy so it will stay stock, as delivered, until we move on to the next Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To How many are happy with a stock C6?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Loving my stock 1LT with NPP. No plans to mod. Plenty fast as is for the street and no worries about warranty or stuff breaking.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always modded all my motorcycles for many different reasons so I figured to do the same with our 3LT GS.....I thought about headers...superchargers but I have resisted the temptation so far and enjoy a nice stock Vert....it really has plenty of power for the type of driving I do...anymore would be just for bragging at the local cruise nights.....
Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Chevy Performance
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

I ordered an exhaust, B&B Bullets, the same week I bought my Vette and it keeps going from there.

Quick Reply: How many are happy with a stock C6?