C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Positions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default TPMS Positions

Hi... I discovered today as I was adding air to my left rear tire that the DIC showed air pressure instead increasing in my right rear. I recently had new rear tires installed. Can I assume these guys inappropriately swapped the two sensors or is there something else that can causes a position issue on the tire pressure sensor readouts?? thanks.. bob...
Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

nope, they installed the wheels on the wrong side, all u need to do is reprogram them, starting at Driver front, passenger front, passenger rear and then drivers rear.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 PM
fred D
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't know for sure, but, could they have swapped the sides with your Rims after putting the new tires on?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Just go back and gave them reprogram. 3 min job.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM
bpGx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no such thing as left side right or front back they all the same
they need to be re adjusted or service guys damage sensor when they put new tire.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bpGx
they need to be re adjusted or service guys damage sensor when they put new tire.
uhggg, yeah there is, if they remove the right rear and put the sensor that was on the right rear on the left rear they put it on the wrong side, the sensors are programmed to a specific wheel location.

You don't need to reprogram the sensors when you get new tires, you just need to put them back on the same location.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
uhggg, yeah there is, if they remove the right rear and put the sensor that was on the right rear on the left rear they put it on the wrong side, the sensors are programmed to a specific wheel location.

You don't need to reprogram the sensors when you get new tires, you just need to put them back on the same location.

this...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fred D
Don't know for sure, but, could they have swapped the sides with your Rims after putting the new tires on?
The tires themselves are both Directional and Asymmetrical. Additionally, the rears are larger than the fronts so as far as the rubber is concerned they had to order a specific left rear and a specific right rear tire.

But the two rear wheels??? Could they swap them before mounting the new tires on them??? Yep... And apparently they did..

bob...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Can someone share more about what reproamming actually means??? Who does it and what equipment is required??? I bought these rear tires and had them mounted at Discount Tire near my home.

I'm just not familiar with how these sensors get reassigned to locations on the car.

thanks.. bob..

Last edited by diitto; 12-04-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 PM
bpGx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
this...
Sorry but you are wrong Sr
Old 12-04-2013, 10:26 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 120 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

There are tools on the market that can be used to reprogram the TPMS. They are handy DIY. Here is a link that has a video of their product.

TPMS Reprogramming Tool

Cheaper to bring the car back to the tire store.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

No sir...come on over and I'll let you check the tires on our Malibu. I rotated them at home and now when I add air in right rear, right front pressure goes up on the DIC and on and so forth...Imagine being OCD about air pressures not knowing the car knows which end and which corner the tires are on and chasing that...I learned the hard way.

I was wrong once though... I thought I was wrong and it turned out I wasn't.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 12-05-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

No Sir, you are wrong, once the sensors are programmed, they are programmed to that wheel location, unless you reprogram them to the new location.

Which is easy to to if you have the tool.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

BZZZZZZT!!! WRONG!!! The sensors themselves are identical except for an identification number and the BCM is programmed to associate a specific sensor number with a specific location. It seems like the sensor is being programmed because you move the programmer to each sensor location but it is actually the BCM that has the memory to remember which is which. That's how the car knows which tire is which when it displays the pressure or warnings. Once the BCM is programmed it always remembers which one is which until it is reprogrammed again.

The OP had a tire shop swap the rear rims left to right when they installed the new tires. The sensor that was programmed to be the right side rear is now on the left and vice versa. They were not damaged since they both still work. They just need to be reprogrammed. The OP can buy a programmer (expensive solution to a simple issue) or go back to the shop and have them correct their error by reprogramming all four sensors.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

depending on what tires you have, you can just switch the wheels from side to side yourself otherwise you need to reprogram the sensors to a new location. they had a 50-50 chance to get it wrong
Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

This happens with many tire changes because the C6 system gives more information than many other cars. Many cars have a TPMS system that just lights a light on the dashboard that tells the driver that a tire is low. It does not tell which one it is, so many tire places do not worry about which wheel is replaced in which position. I have a friend with a Subaru and all four wheels are the same and the system makes no distinction for the position of any wheel...so a tire place can put them on anywhere on the car. Take the car back to the tire place and they can re-program the system...or they can remove and switch the two rear wheels. The former is easier and faster.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:04 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
nope, they installed the wheels on the wrong side, all u need to do is reprogram them, starting at Driver front, passenger front, passenger rear and then drivers rear.
So what do I tell (or watch for) at Discount Tire when I take it back to them to have them fix the error? mcandrew67 above said Driver front, passenger front, passenger rear, driver rear.

Does this programmer tool just know numbers, like 1, 2, 3 and 4?? And so would passenger rear need to be 3 (where it currently must be set to 4) and driver rear need to be 4 (where it currently must be set to 3)??

I would want to confirm that they had fixed the problem before I leave the shop which would likely mean to have them drop the air in one tire while watching the DIC, then fill it back up??

Now I just looked in the owner's manual and sure enough, it confirms what mcandrews67 said,

driver side front tire,
passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear.

So it's right in the manual. But again, does this programmer tool simply know numbers??? Like 1, 2, 3 and 4??? Or does it know something else, like actual location??? I just want to be somewhat knowledgeable when I wander into the tire place

thanks, bob...

Last edited by diitto; 12-05-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Positions

Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by diitto
So what do I tell (or watch for) at Discount Tire when I take it back to them to have them fix the error? mcandrew67 above said Driver front, passenger front, passenger rear, driver rear.

Does this programmer tool just know numbers, like 1, 2, 3 and 4?? And so would passenger rear need to be 3 (where it currently must be set to 4) and driver rear need to be 4 (where it currently must be set to 3)??

I would want to confirm that they had fixed the problem before I leave the shop which would likely mean to have them drop the air in one tire while watching the DIC, then fill it back up??

Now I just looked in the owner's manual and sure enough, it confirms what mcandrews67 said,

driver side front tire,
passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear.

So it's right in the manual. But again, does this programmer tool simply know numbers??? Like 1, 2, 3 and 4??? Or does it know something else, like actual location??? I just want to be somewhat knowledgeable when I wander into the tire place

thanks, bob...
First, they put the car into accessory mode, then they push both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob at the same time. When the car horn honks, they put the tool on the left front tire right next to the tire valve and activate the tool. When the car acquires the sensor and records the ID into its memory it will honk the horn once. The person them repeats the tool sequence on the right front tire, followed by the right rear tire and finally the left rear tire. When the car has stored the sensor ID for the left rear tire it will honk the horn twice. That means the programming has been completed. Biggest issue is making sure the key fob is close enough to the car that it recognizes you are pushing both buttons.

If one of the sensors can't be recognized the system will not complete the programming and will fall back on the old sensor locations. If you find out one of the sensors can't be recognized and don't have a replacement sensor handy you can not have have one sensor programmed to two locations. Would be nice if track guys could do that if a sensor decides to take a dump in the middle of a track day Vs ruining the rest of the day.

Bill
Old 12-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

There's a thread here about the TPMS sensors not correct from the factory. My car was incorrect and I had Museum delivery. So maybe they were wrong the first time?

I drove over to Discount tire and they redid it for me for free.

Mike
Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Bob, BEZ06 did videos for this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...sor-tools.html

He is our 'in house' TPMS guru.

And another:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ms-videos.html

And some of his racing video:
http://vimeo.com/user581818

Last edited by cclive; 12-05-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: TPMS Positions