C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette vs Porsche..winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 AM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Corvette vs Porsche..winter driving

I seems to me that most Porsche drivers drive their cars all year. Snow, salt, rain., whatever. Corvettes more often put away. Being new to Corvettes has me wondering why. Do Corvettes not hold up as well to road grime? I know there are many here that do drive daily, all year, but many more that don't. Do Corvettes lose value too fast if used too regularly? Am I wrong ? Just wondering. It was raining all day yesterday and left my car in the garage. Drove my Suburban. I had a 911 years ago and it was my only car. I never thought twice about driving it in anything. I put winter tires on it. The only other thought is that nobody makes winter tires to fit these wide rims.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Many of those Porsches you see in the Winter are AWD.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of winters ago I was driving in Buffalo one January day and I encountered three different C4's all motoring around through the snow and junk...looks like they were getting around just fine...
A business owner I just did some work for in Buffalo puts his 2010 GS in storage and drives his Panamera 4S all winter....Sounds like the AWD works pretty well for them
Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rule 1: Don't follow a RE Porsche in the snow (or a RE VW for that matter.
Rule 2: If you do follow one make sure your insurance is up to date.

Rule 3: See rule one!

Note: RE = rear engine
Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 AM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtee
Rule 1: Don't follow a RE Porsche in the snow (or a RE VW for that matter.
Rule 2: If you do follow one make sure your insurance is up to date.

Rule 3: See rule one!

Note: RE = rear engine
funny but true
Old 12-07-2013, 09:37 AM
high9s
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to the 14:25 mark to watch some of the incredible steps Porsche takes to beat corrosion.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:49 AM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a grand sport and a 911 c4 (awd). The 911 loves the snow but I wouldn't trust the vette in any temps under about 35 degrees. (too much horsepower not enough tire) Thats just my opinion after driving both.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With vettes, it's all about the tires. Ultra high performance tires = no go in the snow or ice. I put Continental DWS (high performance all season tire) on my last C6 and could get around in 2 or so inches of snow just fine. Waiting for my crappy GY RF's to wear down some on my current C6 and I'll go back to the Contis.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned what Porsche owners do and I wouldn't be concerned with a car losing value. Virtually all cars depreciate. I've never thought about resale value when buying a car nor do I worry about it losing value while I own and use it. I buy and use a vehicle for its utility and enjoyment....it's for me to use. While I currently own a Ford F250 Super Duty I've owned several large, 3/4 ton, 4WD Suburban's for decades. I wouldn't worry about driving a Corvette in the rain but I think common sense dictates it's not the 'optimal' vehicle for driving in snow and ice. If you also have a Suburban what's the problem? If there's snow or ice drive the Suburban. Otherwise, drive the Corvette.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Many of those Porsches you see in the Winter are AWD.
Although I have never seen one in the snow. Rear engine cars provide better traction in slippery conditions but when the rear does let go watch out.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:27 PM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I wouldn't be concerned what Porsche owners do and I wouldn't be concerned with a car losing value. Virtually all cars depreciate. I've never thought about resale value when buying a car nor do I worry about it losing value while I own and use it. I buy and use a vehicle for its utility and enjoyment....it's for me to use. While I currently own a Ford F250 Super Duty I've owned several large, 3/4 ton, 4WD Suburban's for decades. I wouldn't worry about driving a Corvette in the rain but I think common sense dictates it's not the 'optimal' vehicle for driving in snow and ice. If you also have a Suburban what's the problem? If there's snow or ice drive the Suburban. Otherwise, drive the Corvette.
One of my biggest issues with driving in the rain or after a snow storm on roads with salt is how dirty the car gets and in the Northeast washing it is a real unpleasant chore. Couldn't care less in summer, but the winter is tough. The car is too low to trust with a automatic car wash and doing it by hand S**KS!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 PM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BierGut
One of my biggest issues with driving in the rain or after a snow storm on roads with salt is how dirty the car gets and in the Northeast washing it is a real unpleasant chore. Couldn't care less in summer, but the winter is tough. The car is too low to trust with a automatic car wash and doing it by hand S**KS!
That's my main issue. I've had some really bad corrosion issues on my motorcycles that I road through the winter (on dry days of course). I'll drive my Vette all winter as long as there is a good rain to wash salt off the roads. Otherwise I'll keep it in the garage . I suspect if I had an Audi R8 all wheel drive I would garage it as well.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:55 PM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Although I have never seen one in the snow. Rear engine cars provide better traction in slippery conditions but when the rear does let go watch out.
Ahhh.... a little over steer is good for the heart. It exercises the heart muscles and improves longevity.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

AFAIK, there are no A/S runflats available in OP's GS sizes. The only other choice would be non-runflat A/S, that could work out nicely if you don't go in locations or weather where being stranded for a while would be dangerous.

We drove our C5 as a DD through five Chicago winters, when traded it looked and priced the same as a car stored all winter. After 10-20 years, you might have some problems with frame rust, would that be a problem for you?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:07 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Very Simple....... some cars are light in the back end and do not handle well in the snow ie: Camaro, Corvette, Mustang. Being that the Corvette is very light and plastic and if you have one accident in the snow it might very well be your last with that car.

now for those that will want to argue over the corvette being light or not...don't waste your breath.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ls1121
Very Simple....... some cars are light in the back end and do not handle well in the snow ie: Camaro, Corvette, Mustang. Being that the Corvette is very light and plastic and if you have one accident in the snow it might very well be your last with that car.

now for those that will want to argue over the corvette being light or not...don't waste your breath.
I don't know if ~3300 lbs is "light" or not, but modern Corvettes have about 50% of their weight on the rear wheels. Being plastic doesn't have much to do with it, a ton of steel and a ton of plastic both weigh a ton.

The wider rear tires can be a handicap in snow.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Being that the Corvette is very light...
Very light?
Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

My vette is away for the winter, and parked right next to it (as far away as possible ) is my son's Porsche, which also sees no winter driving.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

I recall being in NOVA about 10 years ago, at the gym, when an ice storm hit.

I had a C5 at the time and, well, it was my only way home. It seemed like it was not such a great move to many but I KNEW my car. I had to go down a straight for four or so miles and then take a somewhat twisty (perhaps 1.5 mi.) before getting back to a straight road.

The car was fine with the proper (READ - MINIMAL, torque is good) throttle input.

Funny how the SUV'S and others were following me and my lead (BTW, I was on run flats)

Just my $0.02

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette vs Porsche..winter driving

Quick Reply: Corvette vs Porsche..winter driving