C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanity Check on the scraper

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,472 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Default Sanity Check on the scraper

So I'm buying a house, and the driveway is rather steep. As a result, the vette scrapes slightly when making the transition from the road to the driveway (especially pulling out). I don't have an issue with replacing the little scuff guard under the car every year or two if I need to, but there's nothing else down there that I'm overlooking right? It doesn't appear to be scraping on the body parts anywhere, just the little plastic piece that hangs down and scrapes on everything.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Dont worry about it. I've been scraping that piece on my driveway for 3 years and its still in one piece. Well three whole pieces. As long as your not scraping your radiator support.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

EVERY time I go out some where it scrapes on something after a while you just ignore it !!
sometimes it soooo loud I stop & check the front end to see if the front lower body is still there !!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The air dam is flexible and is designed to move some what.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:31 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Back in

Originally Posted by FAUEE
So I'm buying a house, and the driveway is rather steep. As a result, the vette scrapes slightly when making the transition from the road to the driveway (especially pulling out). I don't have an issue with replacing the little scuff guard under the car every year or two if I need to, but there's nothing else down there that I'm overlooking right? It doesn't appear to be scraping on the body parts anywhere, just the little plastic piece that hangs down and scrapes on everything.
depending on angle of driveway in may not scrape if you reverse into driveway.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

note EV's post and go take a look. (you can also search on here for damaged rad supports, and the infrequent damage to rad itself)

what you don't want to consistently scrape is/are the rad supports. these are connected to the rad and you could do some damage, either to the supports or rad itself. therefore, curbs, parking curbs, as well as serious road dips, etc. are to be avoided or driven differently (than other cars).
Old 12-08-2013, 12:45 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Dont worry about it. I've been scraping that piece on my driveway for 3 years and its still in one piece. Well three whole pieces. As long as your not scraping your radiator support.
Ours do that too. I would like to put on a "splitter", but can't, as that would scrape every time.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:47 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

part of the house buying process for me is to see if the driveway is "corvette friendly"

somehow my friend who has a new ZR-1 doesn't scrape but when I got to visit him I have to park in the street because my vette scrapes so bad. Honestly looking at his driveway I have no idea why he'd even think about buying a vette in his current house..but I guess he is okay with it so its on him not me.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Ours do that too. I would like to put on a "splitter", but can't, as that would scrape every time.
My air dam always scrapes on my driveway. My APR CF splitter doesn't. The air dam is a lot lower than a splitter.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:35 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

mine used to scrape very loudly entering and exiting my driveway. These days, I turn the radio up and it doesn't scrape at all....
Old 12-08-2013, 02:31 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,472 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
part of the house buying process for me is to see if the driveway is "corvette friendly"

somehow my friend who has a new ZR-1 doesn't scrape but when I got to visit him I have to park in the street because my vette scrapes so bad. Honestly looking at his driveway I have no idea why he'd even think about buying a vette in his current house..but I guess he is okay with it so its on him not me.
It's a factor, but I really like this house, lol. It's going to be my first house too, so I'm pretty excited, and probably not thinking clearly.

I did already consider redoing the driveway to eliminate the issue, but the issue is really the junction between the driveway and the road. Not sure what all can be done about that though.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I have the same situation. I enter the driveway from an angle, and it greatly reduces the scrape, but it is still there. Don't worry about it, it sounds a lot worse that it is.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by FAUEE
It's a factor, but I really like this house, lol. It's going to be my first house too, so I'm pretty excited, and probably not thinking clearly.

I did already consider redoing the driveway to eliminate the issue, but the issue is really the junction between the driveway and the road. Not sure what all can be done about that though.
Buy the house, enjoy it, and don't worry about the air dam scraping; it's designed to scrape and not be damaged.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:37 PM
p35hp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red08
I have the same situation. I enter the driveway from an angle, and it greatly reduces the scrape, but it is still there. Don't worry about it, it sounds a lot worse that it is.
This works for me somewhat. -as also mentioned the problem is where the drive meets the street. This can be fixed by "building up" that area with blacktop material . Get lucky and find a neighbor putting in a new drive and cost should be reasonable. Have also seen semi portable heavy rubber strips from vendors that fill in this area. Just be slow in this transition zone.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 792 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by p35hp
This works for me somewhat. -as also mentioned the problem is where the drive meets the street. This can be fixed by "building up" that area with blacktop material . Get lucky and find a neighbor putting in a new drive and cost should be reasonable. Have also seen semi portable heavy rubber strips from vendors that fill in this area. Just be slow in this transition zone.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:33 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Fact of life for my '06 and the '13. Pull up next to the drive and turn in sharply and no scrape, but backing out, even cutting the wheels to the max and crawling, always get a slight scrape. I put Fangs on just in case I was in a situation where the radiator support would scrape. But, having had the '06, it's doubtful it will happen as I'm sensitive to it. Even in the manual, Chevy says scraping the air dams is to be expected. If they get raggedy, just cut off the hanging parts. Real bad--cheap to replace.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08

It doesn't take much scraping to get the air dam to make a cringworthy scraping sound. My GS fairly sings when I approach my driveway from the wrong angle. I've chalked all the spots that I have scraped the dam to environmental hazards. Now I just grit my teeth and live with it

Get notified of new replies

To Sanity Check on the scraper

Quick Reply: Sanity Check on the scraper