C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 chase and crash in L.A. on Friday night

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow! Without question the Corvette driver was an idiot, endangering others and breaking the law but I question the need to shoot and kill the person. Immediately after the accident the driver is out of the car....he's no longer driving a 3,000+ lb "lethal weapon." It did not appear he possessed any other weapon. I can't understand, at that point, how the cops felt justified to shoot and kill the person....an unarmed person (likely injured) standing and/or making a half-hearted attempt to flee on foot. At that point the man didn't seem like a threat where deadly force would be warranted (especially considering the police had overwhelming manpower that could have easily subdued the unarmed man). I'm sure they'll clear the shooter(s) but it seems like too much adrenalin, pissed off cops and a failure to follow proper protocol.

The Corvette driver was obviously a fool and deserved to suffer the legal consequences of his actions. That said it's still sad to see someone needlessly shot and killed.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I agree, he didn't need to be killed.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

At the end of the day this guy lost his life, unnecessarily in my opinion...you guys can talk karma all day or the fact that this man put innocent people at risk and for that I believe he deserves jail time...BUT that does not mean a proffesional law enforcement officer who the general public depends on to do right has the right to take someone's life unnecessarily...if you think a man walking around his car coming towards you before running away while you have your gun drawn and aimed at him with 15 other patrol cars doing the same thing behind you is a threat all I can say is wow...I know law enforcement is a difficult occupation...and I know it's hard to control adrenaline and emotions when on a high speed chase...but damn this is hard to watch.

Last edited by C6ROLLER; 12-14-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:14 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh and everyone who judges this guy and says he's a waist of a life shouldn't, you don't know his story...he could be a war veteran hero who just lost his family in an accident and had a mental breakdown...pretty shallow of you guys...
Old 12-14-2013, 04:00 PM
woodman300
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Wow! Without question the Corvette driver was an idiot, endangering others and breaking the law but I question the need to shoot and kill the person. Immediately after the accident the driver is out of the car....he's no longer driving a 3,000+ lb "lethal weapon." It did not appear he possessed any other weapon. I can't understand, at that point, how the cops felt justified to shoot and kill the person....an unarmed person (likely injured) standing and/or making a half-hearted attempt to flee on foot. At that point the man didn't seem like a threat where deadly force would be warranted (especially considering the police had overwhelming manpower that could have easily subdued the unarmed man). I'm sure they'll clear the shooter(s) but it seems like too much adrenalin, pissed off cops and a failure to follow proper protocol.

The Corvette driver was obviously a fool and deserved to suffer the legal consequences of his actions. That said it's still sad to see someone needlessly shot and killed.

i watched this chase live on tv. when it initially started, the sheriffs were holding back a little to discourage a high speed chase. it was working too. but when the lapd took over, it turned crazy, they pressed the guy hard which caused him to drive faster. in my opinion the cops are partly to blame for the wreck and 100% to blame for the guy being killed unarmed. he was either stupid, whacked out on drugs or who knows, he may have been a criminal with a record, but whatever the case, he did not need to shot to death at the end of this chase. it's not like he was going to get away. the helicopter could follow him even if the patrol cars were not in site. he must have been dead right away because they didnt even try to stop the bleeding. no telling how many holes they put in that guy.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:48 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

It's pretty simple.....when a cop tells you to stop and put your hands where they can see them, do it.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:24 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I thought the exact same think. I gave seen a lot of chase videos on the different news stations and they will never call out the cat make, except to say a later model sedan or something like that. Now we have one that involves a Corvette and that is their opening line.
Of course they don't call out the make - they don't recognize it as anything but a "sedan".

No big deal, but I think it's a compliment to the Corvette that most everyone (even non-car folks) know it when they see a Corvette!
Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
It's pretty simple.....when a cop tells you to stop and put your hands where they can see them, do it.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Said day for the local police.

And yes I get this corvette driver put others in harms way including the pursuing police, but at the time he was not threatening. But I guess the police way of thinking was to protect any innocent pedestrian bystanders from possible threatening moves by the fleeing suspect.

I wonder how many shots were fired and if they all hit their target..
Sad day? Apparently you don't live in LA... nobody here respects or trusts the cops. They've been shooting innocent people for years now, then saying it was "justified" after their own investigation.

The people feel that they're MORE likely to be shot and killed by the LAPD than by your typical hoodlum.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Killing the driver wasn't necessary at all. He was unarmed and fleeing away from them when they shot him. They could have easily just chased him and tackled him to the ground.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:54 PM
NY3quartrs5-oh
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya gotta love all the know it alls that never had an ounce of law enforcement training talking like experts. "He was just running", "he wasn't a threat", "he wasn't armed". How do you know anything of what is going on down on the ground by viewing on a little screen and listening to the traffic reporters guessing at what's happening? I didn't even see any signs of the other car running a red light, so how does it "appear" he had a green? How do any of you know that when the guy JUMPED out of his car he wasn't yelling I'm gonna kill you cops, or i'm gonna shoot you. Or how do any of you know he wasn't going to the passenger side to retrieve a gun that fell to the floor after the crash? None of us know what was happening on the ground, but so many think they do....
Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
Perhaps someone with a gun will feel the same about you someday.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
Oh and everyone who judges this guy and says he's a waist of a life shouldn't, you don't know his story...he could be a war veteran hero who just lost his family in an accident and had a mental breakdown...pretty shallow of you guys...
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by NY3quartrs5-oh
Ya gotta love all the know it alls that never had an ounce of law enforcement training talking like experts. "He was just running", "he wasn't a threat", "he wasn't armed". How do you know anything of what is going on down on the ground by viewing on a little screen and listening to the traffic reporters guessing at what's happening? I didn't even see any signs of the other car running a red light, so how does it "appear" he had a green? How do any of you know that when the guy JUMPED out of his car he wasn't yelling I'm gonna kill you cops, or i'm gonna shoot you. Or how do any of you know he wasn't going to the passenger side to retrieve a gun that fell to the floor after the crash? None of us know what was happening on the ground, but so many think they do....
Actually I've had training in when to use deadly force and when not to by the Navy. At the moment he was shot, he could have had motive and intent but currently had no means therefore deadly force wasn't authorized. If he grabbed a gun from the passenger side and began to turned towards the cops then shooting would have been justified.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The US Supreme Court has previously ruled that in these wild and reckless chases that endanger everyone on the road, the police are justified in using Deadly Force to stop the chase even if the initial offense was only a traffic violation IIRC.

Shooting the guy when the car chase was ended, as he tried to flee on foot, may not go over so well. But I don't have any sympathy for him.
Case cite?

Lots of comments regarding this incident in OT.

Last edited by Allan; 12-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:15 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Originally Posted by woodman300

i watched this chase live on tv. when it initially started, the sheriffs were holding back a little to discourage a high speed chase. it was working too. but when the lapd took over, it turned crazy, they pressed the guy hard which caused him to drive faster. in my opinion the cops are partly to blame for the wreck and 100% to blame for the guy being killed unarmed. he was either stupid, whacked out on drugs or who knows, he may have been a criminal with a record, but whatever the case, he did not need to shot to death at the end of this chase. it's not like he was going to get away. the helicopter could follow him even if the patrol cars were not in site. he must have been dead right away because they didnt even try to stop the bleeding. no telling how many holes they put in that guy.
Yup, originally it was the LA Sheriff's Department. They stopped pursuing and the chopper followed him around for a while, hoping he would tire himself out. He was just driving in circles and making right turns.

Somehow the LAPD got involved (like they usually do, needlessly) and started chasing the guy again... at that point he started driving more recklessly and they chased him into downtown L.A., then murdered him.

Did the LAPD and LASD even coordinate on this? Did the LAPD just see the guy and start the chase again without contacting them?

Did the LAPD think it was Chris Dorner's zombie risen from the dead?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:18 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Originally Posted by mcc978
Killing the driver wasn't necessary at all. He was unarmed and fleeing away from them when they shot him. They could have easily just chased him and tackled him to the ground.
That means they'd have to put down their donuts, and break a sweat.

Ain't nobody got time fo dat

Get notified of new replies

To C6 chase and crash in L.A. on Friday night

Old 12-14-2013, 06:19 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Originally Posted by NY3quartrs5-oh
And in comes the resident cop or ex-cop to protect his own...
Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

I thought we lived in America?i am mistaken and sad.yes the driver was a ******* and stupid.what happened to trial by a jury of your peers?what about innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?what makes cops judge,jury and excutioner ok?this is the Empire we live in today,where the pectorian guard can do whatever it pleases and get away with it under color of law.what do you think would happen to any one of us if a speeding car hit us and we got out and shot the driver in the back dead?i rest my case.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:31 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by mcc978

Quick Reply: C6 chase and crash in L.A. on Friday night