C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW SHIFTER: I know I'm going to be tarred and feathered for this, but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Default MGW SHIFTER: I know I'm going to be tarred and feathered for this, but...

... I just swapped out the 1st gen MGW shifter with OEM lower box that came with my new-to-me 2008 Corvette for the STOCK shifter... and I umm... couldn't be happier with my decision.

Don't get me wrong: I liked the short throws and the snick-snick-snick into gears. Additionally, the shifter itself (when removed) is a high-quality work of art. But two things prompted me to do this:

1) The lateral shift effort was just too damned stiff for my tastes. I tried to get used to it, but couldn't. It was sapping my driving enjoyment. So I looked around for the Dorman washer to do the anti-venom fix but gave up when three separate stores didn't have what I was looking for. I decided that a mod to fix another mod was probably not the right mentality for me, anyway.

2) The shifter would rattle something fierce at high revs. At first I thought it was a problem with the lower box but now that I've gone back to stock, the rattle is completely gone.

Sure, the throws are slightly longer and the gates are (quite a bit) more vague, but I'm used to it already and am happy with my decision........ so far. I've heard the SECOND generation MGW shifter with MGW box is much better (maybe someone can speak on this?), but that the efforts are still quite a bit stiffer than stock.

Am I literally the only one who feels this way? I know there's a ton of MGW fans out there, so...... I'll be going now.

Last edited by vara411; 01-07-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:43 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Glad that you are happy. It really doesn't matter what others think, it is your car and we all have different preferences, and if you like the OE shifter, that is great!

Try changing the gear lube in the trans to Red Line and I bet you will feel a significant difference.

Last edited by timd38; 01-07-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

If you prefer the stock shifter to the MGW I would say that is what matters most. I myself prefer the MGW shifter, but whatever works for you is cool.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand where you're coming from. When I first put the MGW in, I thought it was way too stiff. Like awkwardly stiff. But after driving it, I don't even notice it anymore and it just feels right. I only remember how stiff it is when someone comments on it (there's a joke in here somewhere) and I go 'Oh yeah!'. Mine doesn't rattle either.

But hey, as long as you're happy, then so be it. It's your car and you should make it drive the way you want.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the new generation MGW shifter and lower shift box in my 2007 Z, I like it much better than stock. I also switched to Redline Oil in the transmission and that made a significant difference over the factory fill. Also if you use the stock shift **** and the first mounting hole on the shaft it comes close to the same shift height of the stock shifter. (NO MORE MUSHY SHIFTS) This is the way a sports car gear shift lever is suppose to feel like.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if you just got a bad MGW unit. I absolutely love mine. So solid, smooth and direct. And while you can feel the lateral effort, I've not found it to be a problem, and I'm no arm wrestler. 53 yrs old and just 145 lbs.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
mww3519
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vara411
... I just swapped out the 1st gen MGW shifter with OEM lower box that came with my new-to-me 2008 Corvette for the STOCK shifter... and I umm... couldn't be happier with my decision.

Don't get me wrong: I liked the short throws and the snick-snick-snick into gears. Additionally, the shifter itself (when removed) is a high-quality work of art. But two things prompted me to do this:

1) The lateral shift effort was just too damned stiff for my tastes. I tried to get used to it, but couldn't. It was sapping my driving enjoyment. So I looked around for the Dorman washer to do the anti-venom fix but gave up when three separate stores didn't have what I was looking for. I decided that a mod to fix another mod was probably not the right mentality for me, anyway.

2) The shifter would rattle something fierce at high revs. At first I thought it was a problem with the lower box but now that I've gone back to stock, the rattle is completely gone.

Sure, the throws are slightly longer and the gates are (quite a bit) more vague, but I'm used to it already and am happy with my decision........ so far. I've heard the SECOND generation MGW shifter with MGW box is much better (maybe someone can speak on this?), but that the efforts are still quite a bit stiffer than stock.

Am I literally the only one who feels this way? I know there's a ton of MGW fans out there, so...... I'll be going now.
When I first installed the MGW shifter, latest version with the oem lower box last year I was dissapointed in the effort or stiffness of the feel when shifting. I researched the anit-venom mod on this forum. found a part number for the washers, googled it, ordered it, and never looked back. Whatever makes for your driving enjoyment on your car is whats most important for you, but I will say its a shame that you didn't get a chance to try the anit-venom mod, I went with two washers, and it is ridiculously easy to shift now while still having a very crisp and precise feel to it.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the newest MGW shifter with the lower box and used stock shift ****. It was a little stiff when new. It is easier to shift after breaking in. I do admit you do feel the notchiness more over the OEM shifter but this is just have the transmission is. I have no vibration or noise from the shifter. I made the change to the MGW after I started getting sloppy and missed shifts. I do not have that problem. The bottom line is what makes you happy in your own car. Shift On.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:59 PM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vara411

Like others have posted .

1. Wear it in , post again in February .It will be smoother .
2. Change trans. fluid …… friken world of difference .
3. If installed straight , you should get reverse and first with less effort .
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks, guys. I know the MGW shifter has legions of loyal fans. I also must put in a good word for their awesome step-by-step instructions online. I could almost do the procedure blind-folded, thanks to them.

I may yet buy the new generation shifter. It really looks like a quality item and I know I'll come to miss those precise shifts. You guys just might talk me into it...
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 AM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There maybe some MWG shifter owners with the lower unit in your area that will let you check it out in there vett.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 AM
Delta Jim
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timd38
Try changing the gear lube in the trans to Red Line and I bet you will feel a significant difference.
Originally Posted by Z06pete
I also switched to Redline Oil in the transmission and that made a significant difference over the factory fill.
What Redline fluid are you guys using? I've been looking at doing the MGW shifter and have noted that OE shifting is notably worse when the fluid is cold. Thought I'd try a fluid replacement first...
Old 01-09-2014, 01:24 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Having had a stock OEM shifter (bought car new in 2009), then switched to an older version of the MGW shifter, and recently bought the newest MGW shifter and the lower box, these are my impressions.

The OEM one was OK but once I installed the older version of the MGW shifter a few years ago, I could immediately tell that the OEM one had a lot looser, mushy feel compared to the MGW shifter. The MGW did seem a little 'notchy' at first but I soon got used to it and liked the preciseness of the shifts. I will admit that mine had some vibration/rattle at certain RPMs and shifts required a little more effort than the OEM one did.

Recently I installed the newest MGW shifter AND lower box. This combination is a definite improvement on the earlier version (IMO). There is no more vibration at all and the shifts while still feeling precise, aren't as 'notchy', and take less effort. 2-3 & 3-4 are the easiest, they just glide into gear very easily with a slight push with the palm (2-3) or slight pull with the finger tips (3-4).

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 01-09-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 AM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Whats the price for next generation with lower box? And what does the install cost? Been thinkimg about this mod..
Old 01-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I have to agree with the OP comments.

The stock shifter took some getting used to but now I am very comfortable with it. The short shifters are just too tight for me, laterally speaking.

I suppose that if I used one for a period of time I would adjust.

Here the wisdom prevails, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I recall when MGW first announced on CF that they were going to build a shifter for the C6. And they have continuously improved the product. But I'm like "boomer" above: I like my shifter. I also have tried some others and for me, they feel too stiff. It could be my stock shifter or box starts to fall apart. Then, I'll have to decide what to do next. I've watched and used the "Ranger" method and it works for me.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

Selling that MGW ?

PM me.........

Get notified of new replies

To MGW SHIFTER: I know I'm going to be tarred and feathered for this, but...

Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nothing wrong with feeling more comfortable shifting the car with the OEM shifter installed. Whatever makes the driving experience more enjoyable is what counts.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Z06pete
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta Jim
What Redline fluid are you guys using? I've been looking at doing the MGW shifter and have noted that OE shifting is notably worse when the fluid is cold. Thought I'd try a fluid replacement first...
Redline D4 ATF in my m6
Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmm, interesting post. I am considering the same swap out...except mine is a Callaway short throw shifter. I enjoy the shorter shifting pattern but dislike the rattling at higher rpms...

Quick Reply: MGW SHIFTER: I know I'm going to be tarred and feathered for this, but...