C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake caliper paint kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Default brake caliper paint kits

I'm thinking of painting my brake calipers red. Would appreciate any feedback on those paint kits. How durable is the paint?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

not sure of the durability but check out bugman's website for a "how to"...very detailed.
oh..post pics when you done.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have done a few sets with Plasti-Cote spray and they came out great. This time I decided to use the dupli-Color paint on kit. I do not like the finish it produced. You can't really see the brush strokes unless you get close, so I won't strip them, but will not use the brush system again. Next time I will use the spray. With the spray I masked everything well and covered the entire car with plastic and got zero overspray on the paint. They spray on held up well, no problems. I used the brush on kit just a few months ago but I see it holding up just as well.
Attached Images     

Last edited by spdkilz911; 01-12-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 AM
PacificaVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the G2 paint kit about 4 years ago. The calipers still look perfect. It's an epoxy-based paint---very durable.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Dupli-Color makes a brush on kit. It comes with cleaner, the paint ans a brush. I did my C7 with teh kit and after 6 years when I traded it for my C6 them still look great.

Here is how they looked on my C5

On my C6 they are powder coated to match the Monterey Red Metallic

Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
I'm thinking of painting my brake calipers red. Would appreciate any feedback on those paint kits. How durable is the paint?
I used a Dupli-Color kit, like 'BWF' did above. Loved the result and paint was very durable.

A couple tips should you go the Dupli-Color route.
1) Make sure the calipers are squeeky-clean using the supplied solvent. Can't emphesize it enough. ANY grease/oil/grime left will prevent enamel adhession.
2) Work quickly, the stuff sets fast so try to apply a generous amount of paint in even strokes and resist the urge to go back over an area already applied lest you leave brush strokes. So, do it right the first time.

IF you blocksand paint on raised letters, best to seal letter tops afterwards or it'll oxidize.

As much as I liked Duopli-Color, powdercoating's the pro way to go.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

prep is the key - used G2 paint system
Old 01-12-2014, 01:45 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

The easiest way is to go to your local auto body shop and get them put you some paint in a spray can, whatever color you want. They can use your paint code or whatever. Clean the parts very well with brake cleaner and a brush. Mask off what you don't want painted, then spray, using light coats. When you get through, take a rag with a little gasoline on it and wipe off your "CORVETTE" letters very lightly. It may take a few wipes to get the paint off. Let dry. Done. I have done it on several cars.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I think I will give it a try, and will post pix when done
Old 01-12-2014, 03:11 PM
jrc27
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by BWF07

On my C6 they are powder coated to match the Monterey Red Metallic

This is clearly the winner. Powder coat is the way to go. The shine is great and they are very easy to keep clean. Also they are almost bullet proof...

Nassua blue C5
Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Dupli-Color kit this summer and thought it turned out ok but the finish is not a smooth as I would have liked due to the brush strokes and how quickly the paint sets up. I thought I was doing very thin coats but still got a "rougher" finish than anticipated. Powder coat is obviously the way to go if you have the time to wait and the money. Dupli-Color kit is pretty cheap with reasonable results though.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Powder coated is definitely the way to go. If I upgrade the brakes I will go that route.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My painted calipers using the Duplicolor caliper paint kit are going on 7 years and still look great. As mentioned, the finish is more of a satin than high gloss but I like it that way.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 PM
dinows33
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
not sure of the durability but check out bugman's website for a "how to"...very detailed.
oh..post pics when you done.
Hi could you give me his web site Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 PM
dinows33
Pro

One ore question, I have read a ton of stuff about painting the calipers, but nothing about painting the letters "Corvette" and at what point do you do this and how ??? Thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 AM
level6
Pro

Originally Posted by dinows33
One ore question, I have read a ton of stuff about painting the calipers, but nothing about painting the letters "Corvette" and at what point do you do this and how ??? Thanks
In the above post #8 LMB-Z was nice enough to give his method. Others have used a dremmel tool after it dried to remove the paint. I don't think many actually paint the letters "corvette" separately.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:28 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dinows33
I used a razor blade to scrape off the paint on the lettering once it was tacky and almost dry. I did use a paint pen with clear coat to go over the lettering to keep the aluminum from tarnishing. As I said, it's been nearly 7 years and everything still looks great.

Get notified of new replies

To brake caliper paint kits

Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

I used a rattle can brake caliper paint I got at Pep Boys. I painted my calipers about two years ago and recently painted the brackets. worked really well and was simple to apply. Cleaned the parts with Simple Green degreaser and used chap-stick on the Corvette letters.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 PM
dinows33
Pro

Originally Posted by j_digi454
I used a razor blade to scrape off the paint on the lettering once it was tacky and almost dry. I did use a paint pen with clear coat to go over the lettering to keep the aluminum from tarnishing. As I said, it's been nearly 7 years and everything still looks great.
So I guess with my case where the letters are not painted I just do it by hand after the caliper is painted ? Thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I originally painted mine on my 2005 with the Duplicolor. The brushes fell apart so I went to a local art store and bought some better brushes. When I finished, I still was not satisfied with the finish. The paint in the Duplicolor kit is pretty thick and did not go on very smooth. I went to a body shop supply store and they were able to take the paint code from my car and make me a spray can of paint to match my car. I went back and masked off what I didn't want painted and sprayed several light coats on. This made the calipers shiny and smooth. When I got through painting, I took an old rag, put a little gasoline on it, and wiped off the "CORVETTE" letters. It takes several wipes, using the rag wrapped around a finger tightly. Apply gasoline, wipe, etc, being very careful not to wipe the caliper itself. The calipers still looked like they did the day I did them when I sold the car almost 3 years later.

Quick Reply: brake caliper paint kits