C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FL Residents PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 AM
BlownC5Z
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default FL Residents PLEASE HELP!

Im located in North Carolina. Purchasing a Corvette in West Palm, FL.

Everywhere I have read I would buy the car, bring the title back and pay NC Sales tax (3%) when register the car. The seller is saying that I would need to pay FL sales tax (6%) when I buy the car.

Car is being purchased from a dealer if that matters, which I think it does.

Can anyone who lives in FL or purchased a vehicle from FL from out of state chime in and help me out. Need to verify asap. Thanks guys ...
Old 01-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownC5Z
Im located in North Carolina. Purchasing a Corvette in West Palm, FL.

Everywhere I have read I would buy the car, bring the title back and pay NC Sales tax (3%) when register the car. The seller is saying that I would need to pay FL sales tax (6%) when I buy the car.

Car is being purchased from a dealer if that matters, which I think it does.

Can anyone who lives in FL or purchased a vehicle from FL from out of state chime in and help me out. Need to verify asap. Thanks guys ...
Ive bought cars in Texas and Ohio from dealers and only paid my Pa taxes on them. In California if you have the car transported you only pay your states tax. If you drive it home you pay Ca tax. I think. Maybe Florida is the same. Total BS if it is
Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

In Florida if the car is delivered out of state you pay only the registering state taxes. The dealer is supposed to have the forms for this.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 AM
theofel
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'13

NO Florida tax if delivered out of state..You only pay the Florida tax if you register the car in Florida.

Last edited by theofel; 01-14-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff-Ford
Ive bought cars in Texas and Ohio from dealers and only paid my Pa taxes on them. In California if you have the car transported you only pay your states tax. If you drive it home you pay Ca tax. I think. Maybe Florida is the same. Total BS if it is

Found the same thing when I was looking at vettes for sale in California. It didn't matter if it was sold by a dealer or a private party if you took possession of the car in California and drive it out you paid the tax to California in order to eventually get the title in your name in your state. If you had it shipped or delivered out of California and can prove it you didn't have to pay it. In Arizona there is no sales tax collected on private party used car sales.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by RLSebring
In Florida if the car is delivered out of state you pay only the registering state taxes. The dealer is supposed to have the forms for this.

You are exempt for Florida sales taxes. Have the car shipped to NC. I have a little knowledge on this subject!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

NC does NOT pay the FL rate. You pay the home state rate under reciprocity agreement between states. NC will credit you for what you pay down in FL. If NC is 3% then you pay 3% in FL and receive credit. You do not pay twice.

Simply call NC to verify.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

As already stated, you do not pay FL tax if not registered here. Sounds like the dealer is trying to make a few more dollars in profit.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Slick6
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my car in Orlando, FL and I live in SE Alabama. I only paid tax in AL. You only pay FL sales tax if you register the car in FL.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

while I'm currently in FL when I bought mine it was in IL and I was living in MI. IL collected taxes for MI and it was a done deal registered for MI.

Get notified of new replies

To FL Residents PLEASE HELP!

Quick Reply: FL Residents PLEASE HELP!