C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't even want to drive it

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
The wife is not in trouble, I am not her daddy I do not get onto her. She parked up front between a couple cars because she was going to be real quick, she knows she messed up. I have told her how to park and she knows to park it out back. She does not want to drive it anymore because she does not want to worry about it.
smart woman. easier not to drive it than to deal with an unreasonable husband. But than door swings both ways. get it fixed and move on.

Clif
Old 01-28-2014, 04:38 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

It sucks and I understand how you feel 100%.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM
vforrest
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain...I'd be just like you...."put your hands up and just step back from the Vette"
Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Vaughan LT2 Conv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, It's sad how inconsiderate others can be to ones property. No one seems to care anymore. I bought an indoor cover for my GS just because I am the only "car guy" at my house... The 18 & 23 year old could give a __it less about cars... and the wife is worse! She has a 3 year old 2500HD Crew Cab that is so filthy inside and out that the CDC has condemned it! It truly is a challenge to enjoy something nice and keep it that way.
I worked my rear off to afford this '13 GS so I too am very selective about parking. Fortunately I have a really nice Accord to drive daily so I do not stress too much about parking the Corvette to often.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

That sucks big time...

I totally understand how you feel. There's so many times I don't take my car because I worry about parking it somewhere. It no doubt takes some of the joy out of owning it but I cant seem to just not worry about it.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:15 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

This sucks!

I sent this thread to some friends that think I'm crazy! Nice to know that I'm not alone.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:37 PM
CBRXX
Racer

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone else driving your car, especially the wife since she knows how you are, to at least treat it with the same respect as you do.

I park my daily driver farther out in the lot also. A full size truck is just too big to avoid door dings, and the Grand Sport on paper says it's only 6" narrower than my truck, excluding mirrors. Easier to park out there too. Seems all the parking spaces are Mini Cooper sized.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
That's sad. For your wife, that is. How is this her fault? Did she run into someone?

lisa
Isn't it always the woman's fault....
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM
LS14ME2
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Yah, it is just inconsiderate people and parents... I have witnessed personally, kids, you know 5-7yo or so open the doors of their parents cars/suv's etc and kick the door open as hard as they can with their foot with no regard to the car next to them.. makes me sick...
Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

That's what he keeps telling me!

lisa
Old 01-28-2014, 07:10 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I wouldn't be too mad at the wife. I'd be mad at the person who put a custom paint job on the car that will be both tricky and expensive to fix. Once the car is fixed though, perhaps advise her to avoid rock star parking.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 PM
NRHS
Navigator

that is terrible. BTW, my car is a basic twin to yours:

Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Suprpig
Racer

As much as I try to park all my vehicles (even my old 99 winter beater Blazer) I still have less conscientious people park next to me and ding my vehicles. You can never eliminate it you can only limit it based on reasonable parking in the far side of the lot. PS: Beautiful Paint Job!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Eric ray
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear this, we all feel for you. But it's a fact that most of us are going to experience the dreaded door ding or rock chip at some point of time during our ownership of our vettes. Yours is beautiful and I know that black shows more defects than other colors. Hope you find a good paint and body shop that will meet your satisfaction. And speaking for wife, be easy on her, my wife would feel the same as I if this happened to mine. Good luck to both of you.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM
vforrest
Racer

Originally Posted by PatMethenyFan
Yes, It's sad how inconsiderate others can be to ones property. No one seems to care anymore. I bought an indoor cover for my GS just because I am the only "car guy" at my house... The 18 & 23 year old could give a __it less about cars... and the wife is worse! She has a 3 year old 2500HD Crew Cab that is so filthy inside and out that the CDC has condemned it! It truly is a challenge to enjoy something nice and keep it that way.
I worked my rear off to afford this '13 GS so I too am very selective about parking. Fortunately I have a really nice Accord to drive daily so I do not stress too much about parking the Corvette to often.

I think my family must be taking notes from yours...and I think they can keep up with yours now no problem....
Old 01-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NRHS
that is terrible. BTW, my car is a basic twin to yours:

You sir have good taste.

I am never to busy to help to help another, I let people in if they signal and I always hold the door for people. The world is just changing people are only worried about them selves these day. Now I could let this change me also but what would that teach my children? We can't change others all we can do is try to be good people and hope others follow our lead. Don't get me wrong though, if I would have seen this happen to my car I would have come unglued and, probably caved their door in with my foot. It would have been four crow hops to the left followed with a donkey kick to the door. Is it the right thing to do, NO but it would have made me feel so much better. What can I say, I am not perfect but I try.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM
lotecredneck
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I just spent a large amount of cash turning my C6 into a Supervette and the other day I let the wife drive it to the store and it came home with a door ding in the paint the size of a quarter. The paint was very expensive and it changes colors from black to blue in the sun light. The paint job was blocked and slicked out so it looks like glass. Now i have a quarter size piece of paint missing from the center of the drivers door and I don't even want to drive the car because it makes me sick. The wife is no longer allowed to drive the car and it is heading back to the shop to get the door repainted. There is no way they did not know they did this and I would have given anything to catch them in the act.

this is what my car looks like and no I am not going to post a picture of the damage.
You should chill out.....It's a car for crying out loud!

You should apologize to your wife!

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Don't even want to drive it

Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
J. Dub
Instructor

I'm also sorry but for different reasons then everyone else.

I'm sorry that you're married. I've been there before, marriage is for the birds/lonely... I decided.

If you're lucky, the disdain you have towards your wife and advising her that she is no longer allowed to drive your vehicle, may grow into a big fight and conclude with you two seperating... God willing.

I've been single for the past 4 years.... Colors are richer. Food tastes better. And air is crisper. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lotecredneck
You should chill out.....It's a car for crying out loud!

You should apologize to your wife!

Tony
Tony, based upon all what the OP has gone through the past year, I think he gets to be pissed about someone dinging his car......At least he is around to complain about it.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
I just realized something...now this is just me, but there have been times when I have driven my DD instead of the vette just because I wanted to be more mentally comfortable. By that I mean with the vette I have to be aware of where I park, more diligent of potholes and things of this nature. That's sad because we pay good money to drive an awesome machine so now I always tell myself that I'm paying good money to drive it not keep it safe in the garage...I even was considering a Nissan 370Z just because I wouldn't worry about it as much and so I might enjoy it more...I'm over all that now...but when I see a beautiful Ferrari sometimes I think "man would I be able to enjoy that car or would I be constantly OCD about everything about it?" You can't take your car with you when you die, drive and enjoy it...if something like the OP's story happens YES it sucks but you just have to realize it's paint, not a terminal diagnosis from your doctor. OP I know you're sick, any car guy would be initially, but I would let the wife off the hook...it's not like she ran it up on a curb...so after you apologize go buy her a 370Z would ya?

I've done the same thing. If I am going someplace that is packed and I will be at the event all afternoon, I'm not taking the Vette. I don't want to have to worry about it the whole time.

Quick Reply: Don't even want to drive it