C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to get XM radio on 08 3LT

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:45 PM
slalomdude
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Unable to get XM radio on 08 3LT

I tried the band button but only see fm1,fm2 and am. I called xm and activated a subscription to see if it would show up. No look. Called there help desk and they reset the radio from there end, but no luck. Before I take and pay the dealer, anyone have any tips or ideas.
The previous owner said he used it for 3 months before letting it expire.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The XM buttons only show up if the XM receiver is connected. Since you don't see the XM buttons it means that the XM receiver is dead or been disconnected or removed.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:07 PM
slalomdude
Racer

Originally Posted by Thrill6
The XM buttons only show up if the XM receiver is connected. Since you don't see the XM buttons it means that the XM receiver is dead or been disconnected or removed.
Where is the receiver located in an 08 ?
Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
You're assuming he has NAV.

My 08 does not have NAV but instead the non-Bose stereo which does have XM. You are correct to press the BAND button to scroll thru FM, AM, XM and it should indicate such on the screen.

The XM antenna is located on the top portion of your interior windshield. It's possible that a previous owner pulled the fuse for On-Star which might also affect XM. I'd start there.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by slalomdude
Where is the receiver located in an 08 ?
Thanks
The XM module is in the hatch area to the left of the drivers side targa top holder, pull out the carpet on the left side. If it is there disconnect the harness to it and reconnect. Then start the car and see if XM shows up
Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If I'm not mistaken. XM antennae is inside side view mirror. XM tuner module (black box) is behind drivers seat under carpet on hump in the vicinity of rear window strut. That module on windshield is the Onstar & cellular for built in phone antennae.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM
slalomdude
Racer

Originally Posted by gp56
The XM module is in the hatch area to the left of the drivers side targa top holder, pull out the carpet on the left side. If it is there disconnect the harness to it and reconnect. Then start the car and see if XM shows up
Ok found the module and unplugged and plugged the harness back in. Still nothing. I don't see a dedicated fuse for it and the on star is working. Guess the module could be bad.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:18 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok found the module and unplugged and plugged the harness back in. Still nothing. I don't see a dedicated fuse for it and the on star is working. Guess the module could be bad.
I do not know if there is a dedicated fuse or not. Post in the audio section, you may be able to get an answer there.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if this will help or not, but I removed my PAL last week to send it for a software update and noticed that I now have no XM since I have removed the unit. Is it possible that the previous owner had PAL and removed it before he sold it? Check behind the passenger footwell and see if the connectors and velcro are there.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM
bald
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to the dealer and have them flash the radio.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:16 PM
slalomdude
Racer

Originally Posted by bald
Take it to the dealer and have them flash the radio.
Flash the radio rather than the xm module ?. Wonder what charge the is for that. I am thinking of going with the GM Sirius module, it's only $25 on amazon.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

To see if someone had PAL look at the splice pack in the driver footwell, it's located up above the hood release.

If the XM module is on the Class 2 Bus the Radio will see it and display the XM buttons.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

To see if someone had PAL look at the splice pack in the driver footwell, it's located up above the hood release.

If the XM module is on the Class 2 Bus the Radio will see it and display the XM buttons.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:36 PM
slalomdude
Racer

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6

No, previous owner just used the aux socket to use his iPhone. No PAL
Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM
TarHeelDon
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a module from where i replaced the stereo with an aftermarket unit.....You pay the shipping it is yours....Pass the love on to another fellow vette owner.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 PM
slalomdude
Racer

Originally Posted by TarHeelDon
I have a module from where i replaced the stereo with an aftermarket unit.....You pay the shipping it is yours....Pass the love on to another fellow vette owner.
Thank you for the very kind offer. I though that they were locked to the vehicle vin and even the dealer cannot reflash them. Any idea if that is the case
Old 01-29-2014, 07:31 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Testing for power

Before replacing it, you might try testing to see if your XM unit has power.

Unplug the connector and insert your multimeter probes into the terminals where the red and light blue wires are attached. In order to make contact inside the terminals, I had to tape straight pins to my electrical probes as shown in the attached photo. (The probes were too big to fit).

You should see a reading of 12 volts on your multimeter. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Unable to get XM radio on 08 3LT

Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for the very kind offer. I though that they were locked to the vehicle vin and even the dealer cannot reflash them. Any idea if that is the case
There is a company (I think it's a Delphi authorized service center) that will "erase" the VIN for you from an XM module. I sold mine that way to another C6 owner.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The tuners (XM or aftermarket SIRIUS) are not locked to the head unit.

If your car did not originally have a XM tuner and you added one, then the dealer has to get involved to activate the system.

As advised above, check for power at the tuner's connector. Unfortunately there's another connector on the backside of the head unit that could also have become intermittent.

And, there are two XM antennas in '06+ C6's, one in each mirror. The box on the windshield has OnStar's GPS and cell antennas inside.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
The tuners (XM or aftermarket SIRIUS) are not locked to the head unit.

If your car did not originally have a XM tuner and you added one, then the dealer has to get involved to activate the system.

As advised above, check for power at the tuner's connector. Unfortunately there's another connector on the backside of the head unit that could also have become intermittent.

And, there are two XM antennas in '06+ C6's, one in each mirror. The box on the windshield has OnStar's GPS and cell antennas inside.
It's not locked to the radio, but it is VIN locked. When the XM Module is "learned" to a car it saves the VIN and it does a VIN compare when it boots, if the VIN doesn't match the module "faults" out.

Also the XM Antenna's are actually used for different things (most people don't know this), one is the "Ground" repeater antenna, the other is the "Air" satellite receiver. Most cars have these in one antenna, but for the Corvette they work better separate.

Quick Reply: Unable to get XM radio on 08 3LT