Telescope steering doesn't work. Please help! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back   >
Log In 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Telescope steering doesn't work. Please help!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Kouasupra
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kouasupra's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,243
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default Telescope steering doesn't work. Please help!

Never worked when I bought it from a used car lot. I check the connection underneath and noticed 2 plugs that were not plug in. They were too short to connect anywhere else but they don't fit each other either.

I can't seem to find a good diagram where these connector goes. Any help would be great! TIA!
Kouasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
Kouasupra
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kouasupra's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,243
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default

FYI.. Check the fuse and it's good to go.

Also did the 8 click forward and 8 click back to try to reset it.
Result of that? Dead in the water.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.
Kouasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
FortMorganAl
CF Senior Member
 
FortMorganAl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Posts: 7,896
Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Default

I have no idea what you mean by the "8 click forward and 8 click back" but you need to calibrate the soft stops stored in the BCM after repairs to the telescoping steering column. The calibration is done similar to the window indexing. Operate the telescoping column all the way out. Hold the switch on for an additional three seconds after the column has reached the physical stop. Operate the telescoping column all the way in. Hold the switch on for an additional three seconds after the column has reached the physical stop. There is no "clicking". You hold the button till the column is where you want it.
FortMorganAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
AORoads
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 39,008
Thanked 249 Times in 211 Posts
Default

I learned something; never knew that, Ft. M.
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
SUB VETTE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SUB VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 3,508
Thanked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
I learned something; never knew that, Ft. M.
Me too!
SUB VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 25,585
Thanked 462 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouasupra View Post
Never worked when I bought it from a used car lot. I check the connection underneath and noticed 2 plugs that were not plug in. They were too short to connect anywhere else but they don't fit each other either.

I can't seem to find a good diagram where these connector goes. Any help would be great! TIA!
Where did you find these two connectors? If you are talking about under the seat the connectors plug into the memory module which is clipped to the bottom of the seat spring. You won't be able to see without removing the seat since the seat motors and the lumbar pump (if you have the lumbar option) block your view.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-06-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Bill Dearborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
VET4LES
CF Senior Member
 
VET4LES's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Posts: 27,405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Try zip tying these connectors under the drivers seat. It worked for me.



VET4LES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
Kouasupra
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kouasupra's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,243
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VET4LES View Post
Try zip tying these connectors under the drivers seat. It worked for me.



^^ there are two addition connectors attached to the main power connector wires from the seat that are not connected.

In this photo it looks hidden. (Not the wires coming from the car floor carpet but the one from the seat.
Kouasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
Kouasupra
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kouasupra's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,243
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMorganAl View Post
I have no idea what you mean by the "8 click forward and 8 click back" but you need to calibrate the soft stops stored in the BCM after repairs to the telescoping steering column. The calibration is done similar to the window indexing. Operate the telescoping column all the way out. Hold the switch on for an additional three seconds after the column has reached the physical stop. Operate the telescoping column all the way in. Hold the switch on for an additional three seconds after the column has reached the physical stop. There is no "clicking". You hold the button till the column is where you want it.
I've already tried this method last month. Doesn't work.
Kouasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
Kouasupra
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Kouasupra's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,243
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
Where did you find these two connectors? If you are talking about under the seat the connectors plug into the memory module which is clipped to the bottom of the seat spring. You won't be able to see without removing the seat since the seat motors and the lumbar pump (if you have the lumbar option) block your view.

Bill
I actually pulled the seat out and of the car. Stupid me. I didn't get any photos of the two connectors. I know they plug in somewhere but I didn't see anything.
Kouasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
Cyber Greg
CF Senior Member
 
Cyber Greg's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 1,444
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Here's another possibility: I had two wires under my seat with small tears in their respective housings causing them to short. I removed my seats to discover the wires were wrapped in black tape which I saw was a bit disheveled so I pulled the tape off to discover the torn wire housings. Very small tears mind you. I believe this happened as a result of the seat being lowered all the way and the wires rubbed by the seat bottom against the floor or seat rails or something, when the memory function worked. Anyway, I isolated the short, retaped the wires and bingo, good as new...which by the way the seats were as this happened almost immediately in my 2013 GS. Consequently I slightly raised the seating position in the memory function and a year later still works like new. Just a thought.
Cyber Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Ryan5508
CF Senior Member
 
Ryan5508's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Grandville MI
Posts: 210
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Mine doesn't always return the the driver memory position. It seems like its 50/50 that it works. Seat will move into place just fine. Steering wheel with either not move at all or just a hair. Its a little annoying.
Ryan5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Telescope steering doesn't work. Please help!
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    1998 & 2004 driver seat electrical plugs robert001 C5 General 1 02-09-2016 09:47 PM
    New 2000 frc seat connection? uncle wilson C5 General 16 01-28-2016 05:57 AM
    2005 Underhood Light? Newbie! jayman73 C6 Corvette General Discussion 7 07-01-2014 05:41 PM
    Invisicord Installation GOLD72 C6 Corvette General Discussion 18 11-04-2013 09:24 PM
    Electrical Help - 20 Amp Circuit/Plug Installation BRU Off Topic 24 12-21-2012 06:53 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.