C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 PM
tmd937
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Vette trickle charger

Is it more effective to plug the trickle charger in the console plug or the cigarette plug . Or does it matter .
Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 PM
red4twenty7
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tmd937
Is it more effective to plug the trickle charger in the console plug or the cigarette plug . Or does it matter .
I have been using into the cigarette lighter for the last 3 months in the cold northern Minnesota and it works great, keeps it fully charged, I was skeptical in the beginning, but it works great on my 427 and is actually better since my battery is in the trunk.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Far as I know doesn't make a difference. For what its worth I always plug mine into the console.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Make sure the one you use is hot all the time, not controlled by ignition switch/ start button
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Both of lighter plug in the ash tray, and the outlet in the center lid are constant hots, so either one will work fine.

Myself, since I like to keep the windows closed (let them auto index closed when you shut the doors), installed a plug under the hood for the Ctek at the battery, and plug in there instead (just pop the hood and leave it cracked open). This keeps the charger up and away (mounted on the wall) instead of being in the car or laying on the ground instead, and since the hood is cracked open, it reminds me that I have to unplug the tender before I get in and drive out of the garage.

To note, there are a few mods on adding a plug at the back key slot area above the license plate, as well as a magnetic plug that gets mounted at the front of the car that will work as well. The magnetic plug at the front of the car has promise (still a touch too much of a eye sore when not using it), since if you forget to unplug the tender before driving off, the tender side wire fitting will pop right off car mounted receptor when you back out.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

accessory plugs are usually fused higher and may have heavier guage wire
Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Have to play the devil's advocate here...

... but why aren't you running them directly to the battery terminals under the hood? That way, you don't need to worry about fuses and other problems. Just a direct line to the power supply.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The lighter socket in the dash and the aux. power socket in the center console are both always hot and each has it's own individual fuse. 15A or 20A, I can't remember which.

Regardless, either connection has more than enough capacity to handle the small amount of current supplied by a battery tender.

I've been connecting mine this way for 7+ years with no other "problems".

And........GM sells a Corvette branded tender that comes with a lighter socket adapter. But the 'Corvette Tax' is a bit steep.

Whatever brand you decide to get, plugging it into a surge-protector/suppressor is a good idea.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:18 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
The lighter socket in the dash and the aux. power socket in the center console are both always hot and each has it's own individual fuse. 15A or 20A, I can't remember which.

Regardless, either connection has more than enough capacity to handle the small amount of current supplied by a battery tender...
They are identical and 1 amp from the tender with a dead battery or 0.01 amp continuous is not an issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette trickle charger

Quick Reply: Vette trickle charger