C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is "Never Driven in the Rain" a selling point?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 AM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
Since the beginning of cars, owners who have protected their cars and only driven them on sunny perfect days have made that statement "Car never seen rain" meaning that the car has been babied and cared for in such a way that it is in "mint" condition. Think about it for a moment, if an owner would not drive the car in the rain, he more than likely wouldn't park the car near other vehicles so it doesn't have door dings, he/she most likely doesn't have road rash on the front/rear of the car, etc. Check it out and see for yourself, fairly obvious if you know people that turn their cars around with very low mileage. If I were looking to buy a used Corvette, I would prefer buying from an owner who makes that claim because his/her car is going to be a very decent Corvette.
Cheers,
Fuze
BIG TIME!!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

.... If I were looking to buy a used Corvette, I would prefer buying from an owner who makes that claim because his/her car is going to be a very decent Corvette....
Exactly.

I bought my Vette from a retired pilot who took exceedingly good care of his '06 (I bought it in '12) with only 8,750 miles on the clock. The car was practically brand new and had never been driven in the rain. When I looked at the engine bay and got the car on a lift and looked underneath, it's like it had just left the factory, it was so clean and new-looking.

Best car I've ever had. And I do drive it in the rain. Living in Washington state, you either do that or you don't drive much.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I believe it just extends to a indication of how well the underneath may be clean as compared to a car that may be driven daily in the elements trapping rock and other road debris up in the wheel wells and engine bay area as compared to a car driven on dry surface. Just my opinion..... But to be honest - a vette driven in teh rain wouldn't make any difference one way or another if it were clean upon inspection.

A car which has NOT seen any rain is just a bonus.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:55 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

You're not kidding? It's a silly question with a very obvious answer. One just has to think for a moment and the answer is clear.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

It is just a bunch of BS hype that some of the members on here believe. The car was made to be driven and enjoyed. There is nothing worse than a Corvette (OWNER) not enthusiast bragging on how his 2007 has 5K miles on it. That is Corvette Abuse, why have it if your not going to drive it. They deluge the car in thousands and thousands of gallons of water at the factory plus it sits outside for two weeks befor being shiped.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:19 AM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Since the beginning of cars, owners who have protected their cars and only driven them on sunny perfect days have made that statement "Car never seen rain" meaning that the car has been babied and cared for in such a way that it is in "mint" condition. Think about it for a moment, if an owner would not drive the car in the rain, he more than likely wouldn't park the car near other vehicles so it doesn't have door dings, he/she most likely doesn't have road rash on the front/rear of the car, etc. Check it out and see for yourself, fairly obvious if you know people that turn their cars around with very low mileage. If I were looking to buy a used Corvette, I would prefer buying from an owner who makes that claim because his/her car is going to be a very decent Corvette.
Cheers,
Fuze
There's your answer
Old 02-23-2014, 07:37 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Its a ******** sales tactic used by owners who never drive their car and thinks not driving it in the rain allows them to ask $10k over market price for their cars.

Just because a car is simply driven in the rain, doesnt mean the owner is neglecting it. Thats stupid to even believe that. Youre neglecting it by not driving it because its a CAR. Do Corvette owners not wash their cars?

Last edited by bladex10; 02-23-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,886 Likes on 794 Posts

I had my 2008 delivered at the NCM....in a torrential downpour...drove it 5 hours home to East TN on backroads to meet the break in guidance....rain the whole way. Got home and figured the engine compartment would be a mess. Nope...clean as a whistle. A good design kept it dry. A C4.....different matter, that will get messy looking due to the design of the open wheel wells when you open the clamshell hood. So, I will avoid bad weather, but not get depressed if it got caught in the rain. Now on the '65 Coupe...I will try to avoid rain....will leave it home if its pretty clear its going to rain. I actually don't wash it with water anymore. To each their own fanaticism.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:19 AM
hardtopz28
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The corvette is the best thing I own for the rain . My lifted F250 takes 5 hrs to wash in correctly. The Corvette takes 1hr. I buy my vehicles to drive I may wash the Corvette 3 times a week but I do drive it. Im 31
Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

It's meaningless
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I can honestly say I have never left home in the rain with my C5.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 AM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Capn Hook
I see these for sale ads all the time claiming this, yet, it's not like the car is gonna melt, like the Wicked Witch of the West. So who cares? Especially if it's your car, are you supposed to not drive it in the rain for potential buyers in the future? Or do corvettes of the present not do well out in the elements? Just wondering, cuz I'm in the buyers market and plan on driving whenever and wherever I feel like after I purchase, be it a base model, z06, or zr1. It's just a mechanical piece of property, right? Somebody please set me straight!

Ask them if it has ever been washed! When they say yes, reply: "Well, its been wet, you have to knock something off the price!"

I drive mine everyday, don't have another vehicle, and rarely even put it in the garage. It is a car, great car, but still a car.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:46 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

"never seen rain" may mean, like in the old C1 days, that it leaks like a sieve. Here in the rust belt I would rather see "never seen snow". Calcium Chloride is a real b***h to the underside.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:50 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

It also means they never wash their cars but send them out to be dry-cleaned....
Old 02-23-2014, 09:05 AM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Some buyers value the following:

Never modded
Never in an accident
Never raced
Never been in snow
Never been in rain
Never been abused
Never been neglected
Never etc.

Others couldn't care less, but it helps match buyers with sellers.

Last edited by ButWhatDoIKnow; 02-23-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM
smonska
Racer

I TRY not to drive mine in the rain to keep the undercarriage clean... However I live in Western New England, where the saying is "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes". So, despite my best efforts to pick only nice days, it rains out of nowhere sometimes.

I got caught on the highway with the roof off once, I didn't even have enough time to get to the next exit to put the roof on it went from sunny to raining so fast.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

It is only a selling point to the misinformed. Big deal never driven in the rain, how was it driven on those nice dry days...

Get notified of new replies

To Why is "Never Driven in the Rain" a selling point?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I too would rather have a used vette that had never been rained on, not only does it get the underside dirty you have the acid rain issue. I have 3 other vehicles and if it is raining I don't drive the vette, I drive the least desirable of the other there, 1993 s10. If aren't a neat freak this issue doesn't mean much to you, it is kinda like saying the spare has never been on the ground except the vette doesn't have a spare. Lastly it takes work to clean the car after driving in the rain and I am lazy.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

"Never Driven In The Rain" is a potential indicator the specific Corvette for sale may have been really pampered, especially if it is the original owner.

Some of us don't drive our Corvette's a whole lot, especially when there is the possibility of rain. Snow isn't an issue simply because we put them in storage for the winter months.

For me, I consider my Corvette unique and desire to preserve it's beauty as long as possible, even if it means leaving it sit in the garage until dry and sunny conditions return.

When looking to purchase a used Corvette, you can find a whole lot of variation on how the previous owner has treated his or her Corvette, what has significance is entirely up to you.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 02-23-2014, 10:26 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

It hurts my lower back to wash wheels so I try not to drive in the rain. Yeah I know, but I do drive it on vacations and such and it gets rained on. The biggie for me is never smoked in I have allergies takes the breath away does it for my kids too. For this reason I buy new to avoid this problem smoking with window down and hand out window is smoking in the car.
z51vett
Doug

Quick Reply: Why is "Never Driven in the Rain" a selling point?