C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Exhaust Filler Panel Fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default C6 Exhaust Filler Panel Fasteners

I thought I would share this with the forum. I ordered a

chrome exhaust filler panel for my C6 and like many it comes with 2 bolts and 2 flat nuts, some come with 4 bolts and 4 flat nuts depending on the panel. So I was looking at the fasteners and thought there has to be something better.

So I went to my local Ace Hardware store and looked around, I wanted something that would help distribute the force and minimize the chance of it pulling through the soft plastic. Plus the fasteners sent are metal against metal.

So what I found is a bolt that works well with the flat nut provided, and it has a washer with rubber on it so when tightened it will distribute the hold and the rubber will help to avoid vibration and any chance of rattling and making a noise. I have not installed it yet but I think this will work very well, and at .45 cents a piece I think it will be worth it.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2014, 06:58 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

When I had mine installed, the screws would always back out.
I finally just used a nut and bolt with a lock washer on the inside part, and no more issues.
It looks like your solution will also work. The rubber may stop the screw from backing out.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14
Default screws

Originally Posted by GhostC6
I thought I would share this with the forum. I ordered a

chrome exhaust filler panel for my C6 and like many it comes with 2 bolts and 2 flat nuts, some come with 4 bolts and 4 flat nuts depending on the panel. So I was looking at the fasteners and thought there has to be something better.

So I went to my local Ace Hardware store and looked around, I wanted something that would help distribute the force and minimize the chance of it pulling through the soft plastic. Plus the fasteners sent are metal against metal.

So what I found is a bolt that works well with the flat nut provided, and it has a washer with rubber on it so when tightened it will distribute the hold and the rubber will help to avoid vibration and any chance of rattling and making a noise. I have not installed it yet but I think this will work very well, and at .45 cents a piece I think it will be worth it.

What do you guys think?
They kinda look like self tapping screws,does the nut fit correctly?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by wlean99
They kinda look like self tapping screws,does the nut fit correctly?
Yes, the nuts are flat nuts which also help distribute the contact area to prevent it pulling or tearing through the soft plastic of the rear diffuser.

And LUV2TOUR, that was my thought, with all the vibration and sound waves there it could easily back out. With the rubber it helps to absorb some of that to prevent them from backing out. Also if you wanted to be extra sure, you can put a nut on top of the flat nut which will prevent it from ever working out. Here is a photo of the flat nuts I am using..
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

I also wanted to add that these flat nuts and the bolts both come in smaller and slightly larger sizes, so if you think you want larger ones or if smaller ones are for you they are available.

Since they are self tapping you can put the panel in place, drill a much smaller hole in the diffuser so when you put the bolt thru it, it will thread the plastic and onto the nut so in essence the bolt will hold the diffuser some and then the nut on the back is added security to hold and distribute the force to a larger area to reduce tearing or pulling through the soft diffuser.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14
Default flat nuts

Yes, the nuts are flat nuts which also help distribute the contact area to prevent it pulling or tearing through the soft plastic of the rear diffuser.

And LUV2TOUR, that was my thought, with all the vibration and sound waves there it could easily back out. With the rubber it helps to absorb some of that to prevent them from backing out. Also if you wanted to be extra sure, you can put a nut on top of the flat nut which will prevent it from ever working out. Here is a photo of the flat nuts I am using..
haha! couldnt picture what flat nuts were until you showed us.Looks like it will work out well.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very creative ! theres always room for improvement and most of us just can't leave our mods done without engineering a little extra design.

Nice job,and although mine haven't come loose or started ratlin, Im still gonna change mine tomorrow using your idea.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:24 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14
Default flat nuts

Originally Posted by Steve-O
Very creative ! theres always room for improvement and most of us just can't leave our mods done without engineering a little extra design.

Nice job,and although mine haven't come loose or started ratlin, Im still gonna change mine tomorrow using your idea.
Can you post some pics of your filler panels guys,just got my G.S,want to see how they look
Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

I will post mine after I install it, just got my C6 back from the dealer today so once I install it I will post a few pics of it.

I by no means think or claim to have the perfect way of doing anything, I just thought any type of improvement to secure it could help me and I wanted to share it with others. With that said, I do think this will work very well for the intended purpose. Hope others find it useful. Some times it is the small things that make all the difference.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words, happy to help anyone I can.

Rick
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14
Default rearend

Originally Posted by Steve-O

looks kool
Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

looks kool
The little strip above the filler plate is a 5 l.e.d. strip tied into my cove lighting kit.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Here is mine that I just installed, they really make a difference and cover up those ugly cans under there.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14
Default filler

Here is mine that I just installed, they really make a difference and cover up those ugly cans under there.
looks real nice is that a rolled lip on it or a separate piece,also how does it mount? the 2 bolt/flat nut method?(looks good on that crystal red, same color as mine.(mY BE SLIGHTLY Biased)manufacturer info please.thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 07:40 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

looks real nice is that a rolled lip on it or a separate piece,also how does it mount? the 2 bolt/flat nut method?(looks good on that crystal red, same color as mine.(mY BE SLIGHTLY Biased)manufacturer info please.thanks
Yes it is a rolled lip on it, I purchased it on eBay, it is attached with 3M double sided tape and one bolt/flat nut underneath near the back of the factory diffuser. I have no idea who made it, the guy took it off his after putting an aftermarket exhaust on his and could no longer use it. I paid $25.00 for it plus $10.00 shipping. It said or best offer, I was very happy with that deal, least expensive part I have bought for it yet....

Thanks for the compliment on the color but mine is Monterey Red, I do love the color, it is nice to have one a little different than the normal colors you see, they are all nice, I just like the color. It has so much pearl in it the color looks different based on the lighting.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

Wow,that was a steal! and yes in that light your monterey loks like the crystal,either way both great colors
Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Wow,that was a steal! and yes in that light your monterey loks like the crystal,either way both great colors

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Exhaust Filler Panel Fasteners

Quick Reply: C6 Exhaust Filler Panel Fasteners