C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hide a Key

Old 02-25-2014, 03:52 PM
GTVETT
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hide a Key

After loosing the keys to my winter car (Buick Lacrosse) at a weekend boat show and having my wife drive 50 miles to rescue me, I am trying to plan ahead for the Corvette. I have an 06 without OnStar.
My plan for my extra fob and key is: Hide the fob in a metal tin somewhere in the trunk. The metal tin should protect it from being recognized by the car. The next big question is where and in what to hide the key on the outside. I have used metal hide-a-keys in the way past on vehicles that had much more to magnet to. But, when you needed it, the case was so rusted, you had to break it apart. That is the question for my brothers on the forum. What kind of case and where to stick it? Please speak from experience. Be gentle with me.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a flat key from Home Depot and keep it in you wallet.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 PM
GTVETT
Advanced

That's an idea, as I don't think there is a chip in the key, purely mechanical. I'd still like a few ideas on a place and system to hide a key on the outside of the Vette. Thanks jwf.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 PM
lavla
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 179 Posts

Very simple. I've done it with my C5 and 2 C6's. Take the FOB and wrap it in tin foil, then wrap it in Saran Wrap. After that, use duct tape to wrap it. From there, duct tape the FOB under the car (I'll let you use your imagination as to where). Don't worry, the FOB won't open the door (That's why we covered it in foil). Also, if you're at least three feet from the back of the front door, the signal won't open the doors even without the foil wrapping.

It has saved me already. I put my jacket (with the FOB 1 in the jacket pocket) into the storage area and closed the hatch. Everything was locked. It took me about 10-15 minutes to undo the FOB 2 that I had taped under the car but it was better than calling for a tow!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 PM
GTVETT
Advanced

That's an idea too.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My system is a foil-wrapped (no saran wrap or duct tape) fob hidden deeply inside the car, and a spare key well hidden outside.

Well, the most important part of my system is that I put the fob in my pocket when I get dressed in the morning, and don't take it out until bedtime. So far in 8 yrs/110k miles with the c6, never needed the key.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

You all are going about it wrong. All you need is a purse. The fobs live there, and you never put your purse in the trunk or hatch. Works for me.

lisa
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The hide-a-key cases are plastic now so no rust. There is steel under the rear that's not too hard to reach for the magnet.
My problem is remembering exactly where I put it.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
You all are going about it wrong. All you need is a purse. The fobs live there, and you never put your purse in the trunk or hatch.
Well, if I started carrying a purse, my wife would be even more concerned about me than she already is!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
Well, if I started carrying a purse, my wife would be even more concerned about me than she already is!

lisa

p.s. manpurse?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:13 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Go to Lowes and get some electrical DUCT SEAL...http://www.newark.com/ideal/31-601/d...|&CMP=KNC-GPLA

Then wrap key in aluminum foil and then cover it with the duct seal...that stuff remains sticky forever. I then stick it in the front spoiler somewhere...

The FOB is wrapped in aluminum foil and hidden in the trunk. This setup works GREAT...and it's a MUST!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,002 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Just remember that if the car picks up the spare fob, it will allow anyone to not only get into the car, but start the car (read not sure on how well tin foil is going to block the car from seeing the working fob in the car).

Having said that, Buy an Old style fob since they are easy to pull apart without breaking them and start off by programming it to the car. Next, put it apart, pull the battery and find somewhere in the car to stash the fob in Three pieces (one piece being the battery somewhere in the car under a carpet area.

Next, go to any hardware store that sells keys and have a plain Jane key cut that you can use to get in the back hatch/trunk. If they have the plastic ones that are fold out credit card ones, even the better since you can cut the key away from the rest of the plastic card.

Now break out electrical Black tape and find somewhere under the car that you can tape the key to one of the wire harnesses that even someone working on the car will not notice that there is a key taped to the harness (read make sure to use plenty of tape to both weather proof the key, and also blend it into the harness).

Granted if you loose the keys, you may have to get a touch dirty getting to the key to begin with, but that will get you in the car through the hatch/trunk, then should only be a mater of about a min for you to get the fob that you have stashed under a carpet areas, drop the battery in it, pop the back cover on, and you are golden not having worry about someone having to bring you another Fob to drive the car home.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I keep a key in my wallet,that's one of the first things I learned from this forum.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

It is a lot easier to lose keys than a FOB. Keys go in an out of your pocket every time you use them. A FOB goes in in the morning and you should not have to see it again until evening. Or, if your name is Lisa you can put it in the bottom of your purse and never see it for years. I keep a key in my wallet that I haven't seen in years.

And, instead of wrapping the FOB in foil or metal, just take the battery out. If you leave the battery in it can go dead and leak destroying the inside of the FOB. But even without a battery the FOB will still work in the glovebox slot which is all you need to get home or a WalMart to buy a battery.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Vette'nFender
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
It is a lot easier to lose keys than a FOB. Keys go in an out of your pocket every time you use them. A FOB goes in in the morning and you should not have to see it again until evening. Or, if your name is Lisa you can put it in the bottom of your purse and never see it for years. I keep a key in my wallet that I haven't seen in years.

And, instead of wrapping the FOB in foil or metal, just take the battery out. If you leave the battery in it can go dead and leak destroying the inside of the FOB. But even without a battery the FOB will still work in the glovebox slot which is all you need to get home or a WalMart to buy a battery.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dano523
Just remember that if the car picks up the spare fob, it will allow anyone to not only get into the car, but start the car (read not sure on how well tin foil is going to block the car from seeing the working fob in the car).

The antennas that pick up the fob for opening and starting the car are very distance and direction limited. That's why a fob in the trunk usually won't allow the trunk to open, and why people must sometimes use a specific pocket to hold their fob.

When I wrapped our third fob in foil, I spent an hour trying to find some position where the car would recognize it, but that never happened. Your can google "Faraday Cage" for the concept.

Also, I replace the battery on our third fob every other year, and then test it. Frequent replacement means the battery is no more likely to leak in that fob than in the others. And unwrapping a piece of foil is much easier than installing a battery.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Joe B.
The hide-a-key cases are plastic now so no rust. There is steel under the rear that's not too hard to reach for the magnet.
My problem is remembering exactly where I put it.

That is my solution also...and has worked on a few occasions.

Get notified of new replies

To Hide a Key

Old 02-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I have locked my fob in the trunk once, had to get someone to drive me home to get the other fob, now I keep an extra key but no extra fob in the car (except on long distance trips)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:50 AM
rwsinky
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to our local locksmith's place and had a key made. He also had a fabric key pocket (heavy canvas type thing) with a velcro closure. On the back was an adhesive strip. Peeled off the cover and stuck it to the frame beside the muffler. Been there about a year. It'll get me in the trunk if needed.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6

lisa

p.s. manpurse?
U mean a Murse, don't you Lisa?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hide a Key