C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I expect to pay for a salvaged C6Z?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:09 AM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What can I expect to pay for a salvaged C6Z?

Hi guys,

I recently found a 2008 C6Z on ebay with a salvaged title, about 30K miles, with 4-5 owners in at least 3-4 states (can't remember exactly). The carfax showed a major accident that lead to the salvage title status with the front, rear, and side of the car specified as sustaining damage. I asked the owner to see pics of the car before the repair but he wouldn't cooperate.

The car was repaired and from the detailed pics it looked like a decent job was done. I thought to myself, ok, these cars are selling for around $35-40K these days with a clean title and I've usually heard people specify a 50-60% rule on salvaged title cars. Given the unknowns, and the large amount of owners, I came up with a number that was reasonable in my head... Keep in mind that it would take pretty serious accident to salvage a C6Z!

I set my max bid at $25K thinking I had a decent shot to pick up this car. Well, to my surprise, the car sold for over $30K!

Of course year, mileage, repair quality, and reason for the salvage will all play a role in the selling price, but am I completely off base thinking I can pick up a salvaged 06-up C6Z for $25K?

Cash ready. Let me know what you guys think. If clean title ones are selling for $35-40K and salvaged ones are selling for $30K, I think I need to go another route with my car plans because I won't pay $30K for a salvaged car. Thanks.

Last edited by luke87gt; 02-27-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Can't help you... salvage cars had such a mixed bag of issues and some states won't even title them. Some have strict pre-inspection requirements to confirm road worthiness. Check with your home state and verify if its even allowed.

I won't consider them as an option. There are too many C6's with clean titles out there .

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 02-27-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

QUOTE: " 2008 C6Z on ebay with a salvaged title, about 30K miles, with 4-5 owners in at least 3-4 states"

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind even consider a car with this history?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run away.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'm surprised as well, I thought your bid would get it.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

So, at $25K you'd have a $10K cushion to fix anything---is that your thinking? To me, that would not be enough. Plus, the state registration thing, the insurance thing, the resale thing, the potential thing(s) that you CAN'T see on ebay, namely, what else is really wrong w. the car, etc. Too many variables to know, altho if you're like rlsebring on here, you can do it, and get it right even if you have to keep it a very long time.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You can expect to pay whatever will outbid the other guy. Try bidding on others if that is what you want. You may win the next at $25k
Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Originally Posted by Bandit's C4
Can't help you... salvage cars had such a mixed bag of issues and some states won't even title them. Some have strict pre-inspection requirements to confirm road worthiness. Check with your home state and verify if its even allowed.

I won't consider them as an option. There are too many C6's with clean titles out there .
Good points regarding the registration and insurance. I live in CA and don't anticipate any issues with registration but insurance is certainly something that needs to be considered. When it comes to a salvaged car, I would keep it mostly stock as I wouldn't want to dump money into it. At some point down the line I'd also be selling the salvaged car and I can't forget that.

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
QUOTE: " 2008 C6Z on ebay with a salvaged title, about 30K miles, with 4-5 owners in at least 3-4 states"

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind even consider a car with this history?
Price... I will point out that in my example above, price wasn't low enough however. If the price is low enough, it becomes a consideration. It simply comes down to price and risk.

Originally Posted by ben dover
I'm surprised as well, I thought your bid would get it.
Tell me about it. I thought with $25K, I had a very good shot. I wasn't even close.

Originally Posted by AORoads
So, at $25K you'd have a $10K cushion to fix anything---is that your thinking? To me, that would not be enough. Plus, the state registration thing, the insurance thing, the resale thing, the potential thing(s) that you CAN'T see on ebay, namely, what else is really wrong w. the car, etc. Too many variables to know, altho if you're like rlsebring on here, you can do it, and get it right even if you have to keep it a very long time.
Oh no, for $25K I'd expect it to be repaired. That $10K that you metion is not a cushion, it would be a disaster, lol. If I buy a $25K salvaged c6z, and have to put $10K into it do to problems I find along with the way, I lost big time. However, if I can buy a repaired c6z in very good condition that doesn't have any problems, that would be a win (some may disagree).

in conclusion, Salvaged cars leave a lot of unknows certainly and it is a big risk. I think buying a salvaged car sight-unseen on ebay would be particularly risky. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I can take it to my local suspension/frame shop and have them give me their opinion however. It just comes down to price folks. I don't think I will willing to spend $40K on a clean title car that I am gonna beat on, but for $25K I'd certainly consider a salvaged title case... especially if it's clean and I can have it looked at by my shop.

There is a local guy selling a salvaged 80K mile c6z for $33K firm. It's not even clean from the pics Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

QUOTE: "Price... I will point out that in my example above, price wasn't low enough however. If the price is low enough, it becomes a consideration. It simply comes down to price and risk."

Bro'....the car has had four or five owners in different states. Why spend your money on other peoples problems? When I spend $25,000 on a vehicle it had better not have any major problems. Just my opinion,it's your money after all.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:51 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Now, if you found a salvaged Corvette that had been stolen, recovered, did not need any fixing, AND you had no plans to sell for 15 or so years... I would agree.

Otherwise, there are too many nice used vettes out there.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by luke87gt
Hi guys,

I recently found a 2008 C6Z on ebay with a salvaged title, about 30K miles, with 4-5 owners in at least 3-4 states (can't remember exactly). The carfax showed a major accident that lead to the salvage title status with the front, rear, and side of the car specified as sustaining damage. I asked the owner to see pics of the car before the repair but he wouldn't cooperate.

The car was repaired and from the detailed pics it looked like a decent job was done. I thought to myself, ok, these cars are selling for around $35-40K these days with a clean title and I've usually heard people specify a 50-60% rule on salvaged title cars. Given the unknowns, and the large amount of owners, I came up with a number that was reasonable in my head... Keep in mind that it would take pretty serious accident to salvage a C6Z!

I set my max bid at $25K thinking I had a decent shot to pick up this car. Well, to my surprise, the car sold for over $30K!

Of course year, mileage, repair quality, and reason for the salvage will all play a role in the selling price, but am I completely off base thinking I can pick up a salvaged 06-up C6Z for $25K?

Cash ready. Let me know what you guys think. If clean title ones are selling for $35-40K and salvaged ones are selling for $30K, I think I need to go another route with my car plans because I won't pay $30K for a salvaged car. Thanks.
Sorry, but I wouldn't touch a Z, or any Corvette, with a salvage title no matter what its current condition is. Too many risks involved.

BobD
Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Count your lucky stars! Somebody just saved you 25 grand while in all likelihood,wasted 30 of their own money! Unless they are a racer,they will never recoup that money anywhere! SALVAGE title is the kiss of death in the real world 99% of the time.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I don't mean this in a smart a$$ way... but if 25k is your budget... I'd look for a higher mileage 'vette with a clean title or a even a nice Mustang. Just my opinion.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Count your lucky stars! Somebody just saved you 25 grand while in all likelihood,wasted 30 of their own money! Unless they are a racer,they will never recoup that money anywhere! SALVAGE title is the kiss of death in the real world 99% of the time.
Far too much risk vs reward for me.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

$15k would be too much for me, even for one that is repaired. If it was repaired right then it should have a good title now. Like you said it takes serious damage to total a C6. Frame damage on a C6Z is definitely a no-no since it is aluminum.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Count your lucky stars! ,they will never recoup that money anywhere! SALVAGE title is the kiss of death in the real world 99% of the time.
Most of these salvage cars get exported overseas. The salvage title means nothing. Also the import tax into the country it is going to is based on the purchase price so it is cheaper on a salvage car vs a good one.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:57 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Originally Posted by glerma
I don't mean this in a smart a$$ way... but if 25k is your budget... I'd look for a higher mileage 'vette with a clean title or a even a nice Mustang. Just my opinion.
$25K will still buy a very nice base model clean title C6, it just won't buy a C6Z... No need to start considering Mustangs

Last edited by luke87gt; 02-27-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What can I expect to pay for a salvaged C6Z?

Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I suggest you watch the movie "The Money Pit."
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette

To get the best bang for the buck. I've done it. Buy low, enjoy, then sell low.

Do your homework and you can get much more car than you would otherwise afford. My only worry was selling it after 18 months and 12k miles of trouble-free ownership. Well that worry proved groundless when I sold the car, with a completely clear conscience, for what I paid for it.

I totally don't get the fear of properly rebuilt ex-salvage cars.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:08 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by AORoads
Wait, What?

Originally Posted by Delco DSOM
To get the best bang for the buck. I've done it. Buy low, enjoy, then sell low.

Do your homework and you can get much more car than you would otherwise afford. My only worry was selling it after 18 months and 12k miles of trouble-free ownership. Well that worry proved groundless when I sold the car, with a completely clear conscience, for what I paid for it.

I totally don't get the fear of properly rebuilt ex-salvage cars.
Glad there are not very many in this game. I've did quite well over the years with buying and selling rebuilds and rebuilts. Thank you very much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What can I expect to pay for a salvaged C6Z?