C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C6 Audio & Nav Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:49 PM
VManderson
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 C6 Audio & Nav Help!!!!!

Hello All,

I am new to the forums and will be a new 2008/2009/2010 C6 Coupe Owner soon, I am just completely on the fence about what I should purchase.

I have been reading for ages on audio upgrades between the Non Bose/Bose and Non Nav/Nav.

Considering everywhere I read on these forums the Bose and Nav unit suck. I am coming from a Infiniti G37 BOSE which is the best factory installed unit I have ever heard and that is a big part of my driving experience is to have clear, crisp, loud with base coming from my car. It's not to say I can't make some adjustments and I understand I will be driving a car with 436 horsepower and would be enjoying the sound of my NPP Exhaust most of the time .

That being said, If I am going to upgrade my Audio anyways because I have a feeling coming from the G37 Bose I will be vastly disappointed with the Vette Bose does it make sense to even purchase a C6 with factory Nav/Bose?

Should I save the extra several thousand buying a 3LT and use that money towards a Kenwood Audio Package or of some sort?

Do the 3.5 and 5.5 door replacements with JL or Kickers really improve over the quality to make it sounds somewhat bearable?

If anyone has time could you tell me the options and or pricing difference between buying a Non Nav/Non Bose and upgrading it vs. a Bose/NAV and upgrading it?

This is a big purchase for me and I want to spend my money the right way here.

I'm willing to put a $1000 or less on a credit card to completely upgrade the audio, but I don't want to be spending 2-3k.

Also, I have a feeling I want to swap out the head unit and put in a Kenwood NAV, so I guess buying a C6 with NAV in it just defeats the purpose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am joining the community soon! and by soon I mean they are finding my car in the next few days hehe.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

call me sometime
I will take the time to go over all your questions concerns and help you decide on whats best for you.
I have all the new Kenwood units instock as well with exception of the DNN991
608 568 3011

The DNX691HD is going to fit into your budget with the Kicker upgrade as well and give you everything your going to need and improve the sound

Dennis
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a '08 Coupe (with NAV) six months ago, and I HATED the factory H/U. I bought new Pioneer H/U from Dennis, plus subwoofer and amp. Dennis treated me right and is a good man to do business with. I slightly prefer Pioneer over Kenwood. I've had both.

I didn't bother getting a Pioneer w/NAV H/U, because my windshield-mounted smartphone has the best NAV I've ever seen.

It's a pretty straightforward installation. I have a PDF file, which shows how to remove stock H/U (PM me if you want a copy). Dennis has all adapters needed, plus it's a cinch to retain steering wheel controls.

Good luck! Dave F.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

You're about to hear everything imaginable right here. Personally I love the factory nav units. I've got (4) vehicles with them. I had a truck that I had the best Pioneer unit installed and never did like it. Had the truck 6 months, put the factory radio back and traded. Sold the Pioneer unit..cheap. If HUD is something you like the factory nav is what you want. Disclaimer....this is my personal view.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:48 PM
VManderson
7th Gear

I appreciate everyone helping and yes Dennis I will call you soon at some point. I could maybe get away with the factory NAV because of the HUD, I don't necessarily want to dump that.

However, the audio will in fact kill me if it's not at least similar to my Bose in the G37. It just makes drive-ability that much more fun when you have a nice system in your car you can blast .

Removable top off, warm summer days just isn't the same to me when the Stereo isn't crisp, lots of bass at loud volumes.

So maybe keep the factory NAV and upgrading the Bose would be the more financially stable option.

Last edited by VManderson; 03-05-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VManderson
I appreciate everyone helping and yes Dennis I will call you soon at some point. I could maybe get away with the factory NAV because of the HUD, I don't necessarily want to dump that.

However, the audio will in fact kill me if it's not at least similar to my Bose in the G37. It just makes drive-ability that much more fun when you have a nice system in your car you can blast .

Removable top off, warm summer days just isn't the same to me when the Stereo isn't crisp, lots of bass at loud volumes.

So maybe keep the factory NAV and upgrading the Bose would be the more financially stable option.
I've had a 06 and currently an 11 both with the nav/Bose. I prefer my smartphone voice nav after speaking the address. The Bose system in my 2005 Suburban puts the Bose in the Vette to shame. Find the best Vette, in the best condition for the money and modify it the way you want if you need to. IMHO...
Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Coming from a 370Z with Bose, get the best Corvette you can afford regardless of the stereo.

IMO, the Bose in my Vette sounds like the Bose in my Z and because like you, I appreciate better quality sound than Bose provides, my Kenwood, amps and speakers are migrating over thanks to all the connectivity stuff I got from Dennis.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

After 110k miles, over most of the US, navigating with the factory nav, we like it. No other system will give you the turn instructions/distances on the HUD. The tutorial from talon90 will help you understand it if you want to.

We also have two other-make factory nav systems, two garmins, and 4 cellphone navs. All of them work well most of the time, all of them will do goofy things occasionally. And after-market systems have not been exactly perfect either. Pick what you think will serve your needs best.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:44 PM
rays96in
Advanced

hi I forgot how to start a new thread can any one help me
thanks any way but I got it

Last edited by rays96in; 03-05-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 PM
BignastyBRP
Heel & Toe

Default try this place

http://www.shortcircuitrepair.com/
they know a lot about this nav systems
Old 03-05-2014, 06:55 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '11 with Bose and Nav, and I like them both. An audiophile might say they are not the best, but they are better than what I have had in other cars. I'd suggest you take some music to a local dealer and find an 08/09/10 3lt and give the system a try. You might be surprised.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Tmac7balla
Advanced

Another thumbs up for Dennis at Double D Mods. I recently purchased a 2011 and he has been with me every step of the way to make sure I am satisfied with my setup. So far I have only installed part of the sound deadening package and I am already blown away. This weekend I will be installing the full audio system and let you know my results. I have the non bose system, and all though for some it is good enough to me it sounds like crap. I am really picky about my sound quality. I listen to mostly lossless music.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 PM
VManderson
7th Gear

So the dealer found me the exact car I wanted Manual 2008 3LT Black on Black, Targa Top, Dual Mode P. Exhaust ++ comes with the BOSE & NAV and should be picking it up soon.

For now I ordered the Kicker Package KS $79.99 from Double D Mods .

I'll see how the stock Bose sounds vs. adding the speakers and also removing the center speaker.

I'll update everyone!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by saplumr
You're about to hear everything imaginable right here. Personally I love the factory nav units. I've got (4) vehicles with them. I had a truck that I had the best Pioneer unit installed and never did like it. Had the truck 6 months, put the factory radio back and traded. Sold the Pioneer unit..cheap. If HUD is something you like the factory nav is what you want. Disclaimer....this is my personal view.
they serve their purpose.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 C6 Audio & Nav Help!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2008 C6 Audio & Nav Help!!!!!