C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coating heat issues - brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Ryan33us
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating heat issues - brake calipers

I am looking into buying a powder coating kit, and would like to powder coat my brake calipers. What kind of heat can normal powder coating withstand? I am looking at buying one of the Eastwood kits, do any of you all have one of these? What kind of results do you get ? Any pictures of results? Thanks!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 PM
Jeff-Ford
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan33us
I am looking into buying a powder coating kit, and would like to powder coat my brake calipers. What kind of heat can normal powder coating withstand? I am looking at buying one of the Eastwood kits, do any of you all have one of these? What kind of results do you get ? Any pictures of results? Thanks!
Probably easier just sending them out. Mike the powder coater has a solid reputation.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 PM
nspendleton
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I can second Mike's work. I just got a set from him last weekend.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Torch Ace
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't track your car, just about any paint including Walmart rattle cans will work and hold up for years. The calipers don't get hot enough to affect spray enamel or powder coating if it is normal driving conditions. I've had both of my C6's calipers painted with rattle cans of spray paint for years and they still look good as new. The secret is in prepping them before applying the paint. Clean them well, with a brush and lacquer thinner a couple of times. That will solve getting fish eyes in the paint.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Powder coating requires several hundred degrees of heat and will destroy non-metallic parts like plastic and rubber. I have first hand experience.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM
doubledsyellow
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I had my local powder coater do mine for 175$ I had to take them apart (very easy) and put them back together when they were finished.

Get notified of new replies

To Powder coating heat issues - brake calipers

Quick Reply: Powder coating heat issues - brake calipers