C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Thread "C6 brake job instructions & piston push back using a screwdriver

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Looking for Thread "C6 brake job instructions & piston push back using a screwdriver

Two months ago I found a thread on the forum which explains how to push back the brake caliper piston with a screwdriver, caliper frame & the brake rotor as leverage. I searched the forum and I can not find it. I want to send the information to another C6 corvette owner with instructions on how to change there own brakes.....

Reggie saying....Fix a friend's brakes on a C6 and he saves money and you have a new headache for a day. Teach a man to fix his own brakes on a C6 and he can eat fish and work on his car for a lifetime.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 PM
idaband
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggied
Two months ago I found a thread on the forum which explains how to push back the brake caliper piston with a screwdriver, caliper frame & the brake rotor as leverage. I searched the forum and I can not find it. I want to send the information to another C6 corvette owner with instructions on how to change there own brakes.....

Reggie saying....Fix a friend's brakes on a C6 and he saves money and you have a new headache for a day. Teach a man to fix his own brakes on a C6 and he can eat fish and work on his car for a lifetime.
I use c-clamps. If you swing your caliper down (bottom bolt still in) then you can also use the old pad as leverage to distribute against the pistons... on the other side of the c-clamp I used a piece of wood...something so there was no direct pressure on the caliper.

pad change takes about 5-10 mins per set once you get the hang of it.

I recommend hitting up youtube to see examples...in fact there is some vette videos for pad changes.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Before you take out the bolts use a big screw driver between the outside pad and the rotor. Pry it away from the rotor.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

This is not for me. I wanted to pass the information on to the other corvette owner.
I was trying to find the post which contain pictures of a guy using a screwdriver to open up his calipers instead of using a c-clamp. The pictures will show him how simple it is to change his own brakes.

I will search YouTube for C6 brake instructions and paste the link in this post for others. Hopefully someone can add to this post the link showing the member using a screwdriver instead of a C-clamp.

The screwdriver is 100% faster.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:17 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

This is not for me. I wanted to pass the information on to the other corvette owner.
I was trying to find the post which contain pictures of a guy using a screwdriver to open up his calipers instead of using a c-clamp. The pictures will show him how simple it is to change his own brakes.

I will search YouTube for C6 brake instructions and paste the link in this post for others. Hopefully someone can add to this post the link showing the member using a screwdriver instead of a C-clamp.

The screwdriver is 100% faster.
Not real sure IIRC, but PM member JoeG for either the pic or the link.

Two flat blade screwdrivers and done in 10 seconds.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Found it under FAQ by "JoeG"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...rake-pads.htm

Once you use this screwdriver method, you will never use c-clamp again.

Thanks JoeG...Great idea..
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2014, 10:08 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found it under FAQ by "JoeG"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c....rake-pads.htm

Once you use this screwdriver method, you will never use c-clamp again.

Thanks JoeG...Great idea..
NO....you will bend the caliper or rotor!!!! Been doing the screwdriver method on every vehicle I owned in the 28 years....get a vette and tried the clamp method....screwdriver much easier!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueAngelSAE
NO....you will bend the caliper or rotor!!!! Been doing the screwdriver method on every vehicle I owned in the 28 years....get a vette and tried the clamp method....screwdriver much easier!
Not sure what you mean by "No you will bend the caliper or rotor". then you end your comment with "screwdriver much easier".

I do not want to recommend processes that can damage a vette owner's car. If you look at the 2 locations the screwdrivers are applying pressure, I can not see how you can cause damage. Did you bend your rotor and/or caliper? Please explain. Thanks..
Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I think this link will work..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ferrerid=49232
Old 03-13-2014, 12:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Not sure what you mean by "No you will bend the caliper or rotor". then you end your comment with "screwdriver much easier".

I do not want to recommend processes that can damage a vette owner's car. If you look at the 2 locations the screwdrivers are applying pressure, I can not see how you can cause damage. Did you bend your rotor and/or caliper? Please explain. Thanks..
Sarcasm, followed by !!!! and a
Old 03-13-2014, 03:43 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure what you mean by "No you will bend the caliper or rotor". then you end your comment with "screwdriver much easier". I do not want to recommend processes that can damage a vette owner's car. If you look at the 2 locations the screwdrivers are applying pressure, I can not see how you can cause damage. Did you bend your rotor and/or caliper? Please explain. Thanks..
I was using sarcasm.... when turning wrenches creative solutions often work well. I had hoped that it was obvious that a screwdriver would generally NOT damage rotors or calipers given the job the brakes have to do.....pretty safe bet the screwdriver would be the weaker link. Really what might damage ones car is the "human" that fails to consider the potential outcome of their actions.

But like anything it all depends on your technique!

Last edited by BlueAngelSAE; 03-13-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:09 PM
idaband
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueAngelSAE
I was using sarcasm.... when turning wrenches creative solutions often work well. I had hoped that it was obvious that a screwdriver would generally NOT damage rotors or calipers given the job the brakes have to do.....pretty safe bet the screwdriver would be the weaker link. Really what might damage ones car is the "human" that fails to consider the potential outcome of their actions.

But like anything it all depends on your technique!
ummm I'm not sure...not willing to try it...these are aluminum...maybe on some cast steal ones you'd be find...these things strip out easily...so odds are they are softer than you think. The force from the pistons is distributed nice...not sure I want to pry a hard forged screwdriver against mine... (just me)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:12 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by idaband
ummm I'm not sure...not willing to try it...these are aluminum...maybe on some cast steal ones you'd be find...these things strip out easily...so odds are they are softer than you think. The force from the pistons is distributed nice...not sure I want to pry a hard forged screwdriver against mine... (just me)
I totally understand your perspective, but then again I have a lot of experience dealing with alloy....after all the Blue Angels do not fly steel jets!!!

With the vette I live on the edge as I even drive mine in the rain...

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Thread "C6 brake job instructions & piston push back using a screwdriver

Quick Reply: Looking for Thread "C6 brake job instructions & piston push back using a screwdriver