C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a Little Help Deciding!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:47 AM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Little Help Deciding!

Okay so hello everyone. I'm hoping you all can help me make my decision a little better or lead me to the right one. I currently own a Corvette Grandsport 2010 with 40k miles I'm 20 I bought the car with my own money. Nope mom and dad didn't pay for it. I've been working for quite awhile now. Corvettes have ran in the family. Mom and dad, both had bought their own when they were young. Anyways I was really set on the whole stealth mode look I saved up every penny for my mods and appearances, but it's starting to fade quick. So I was wondering if i should powdercoat my (matte black cray hawk rims) to (matte silver or like a machined silver). Now im saying this because i had a family friend paint my Old GS calipers bright Red with a "brembo" logo on them. Also should i get z06 fenders or widebody fenders like the zr6x). I already have lowering bolts never put them on yet because the driveway already scraps my car when I come in on an angle.
So this is what my car looks like now:

New Brake Color

The Idea I was thinking of:

Last edited by JTA-Vette; 03-12-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

What you're considering would definitely look great, however IMO I'd caution against anything altering an otherwise 'stock' Corvette's exterior. Resale's takes an enormous hit & why I say it; although, if one planning to keep the car long term, mod away 'til your wallet's empty.

OTOH one could drive the GS with the intent of flipping it for something like a Z06 or ZR-1 whenever's title's clear.
IF it's clear now you've a hellova lot of equity going in yielding quite a step-up in performance and appearance in one fell swoop.

Congrats on owning a beautiful ride. Given your age, your wisdom & hard work paid off nicely. Had a 2 y/o Corvette when I was 18, know how special Corvette ownership is while young. *A wonder I'm alive today, but boy what fun.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I got my first Vette at 25 and have owned numerous since. I have never altered the exterior appearance other than some type of oem mod (badging, air dams/splitter, rear spoiler, wheels, etc.,.).

IMHO! Drive it as is now and trade up to the new C7Z next fall.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

EVERY Corvette modification (interior, exterior or mechanical) makes a statement. That statement is, "I know this may decrease my car's resale value, and make it harder to sell . . . But it's my car, and I want what I want".

As long as you know and understand this going in, then feel free to make whatever changes you like. Just don't expect anyone else to necessarily see the changes you make as "enhancements", and don't expect to recover the cost of making those changes when you sell or trade the car. Keep in mind that you're doing it for you, not anyone else. That doesn't make it wrong, or a bad investment . . . If the modifications make YOU feel better about YOUR car, or let you enjoy it more, then count it as money well spent. That's all that really matters.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:02 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I have a different experience on MODs. Though they may not bring additional money when selling, there are a lot of people out there that like the MODs already on the car because they don’t have to spend the cash after the sale. I have never had a problem selling a modded car or motorcycle. (Not talking engine MODs). I had a really nice stock motorcycle that took me three months to sell even at a good price. The Modded vehicles always sell within the week and usually to the first guy looking.

If you want to change something, go for it.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Grand Sport Jim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

My advice is " you only live once". It may sound trite at your age but you'll be my age in no time at all. I think what you are proposing looks great!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

Well after reading all these suggestions and hints on what happens to the resale value thank you for the heads up notice guys. So this would have to be a decision I'm willing to make if im keeping it for the long run or willing to lose money, but well spent. Anyways I have a small question couldn't i just put the old GS fenders back on when im ready to sell it, but also sell the parts on the side with it?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Sure, you could always do that. it depends upon how much work you're willing to do . . . Sometimes spending time working on a vehicle you intend to get rid of is tough to gear yourself up for.

And Rusty, I know that sometimes you can recover the cost of your mods and sometimes your modded car is "just what the doctor ordered" . . . And it sells right away. That's why I said that such modifications MAY decrease the resale value and/or make the car harder to sell. For every success story of a quickly-sold modded car, there are ten stories of guys unable to find anyone interested in their car and what they had done to it. You pays your money, you takes your chances. Again, as I said, you have to have the mindset that you're doing this for you, not for what it bring you down the road. And that's usually the best reason of all.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:57 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JTA-Vette
Well after reading all these suggestions and hints on what happens to the resale value thank you for the heads up notice guys. So this would have to be a decision I'm willing to make if im keeping it for the long run or willing to lose money, but well spent. Anyways I have a small question couldn't i just put the old GS fenders back on when im ready to sell it, but also sell the parts on the side with it?
you could but it depends on how long they were installed as the paint might not match back up once reinstalled.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
Sure, you could always do that. it depends upon how much work you're willing to do . . . Sometimes spending time working on a vehicle you intend to get rid of is tough to gear yourself up for.

And Rusty, I know that sometimes you can recover the cost of your mods and sometimes your modded car is "just what the doctor ordered" . . . And it sells right away. That's why I said that such modifications MAY decrease the resale value and/or make the car harder to sell. For every success story of a quickly-sold modded car, there are ten stories of guys unable to find anyone interested in their car and what they had done to it. You pays your money, you takes your chances. Again, as I said, you have to have the mindset that you're doing this for you, not for what it bring you down the road. And that's usually the best reason of all.
I would agree and believe heavy MODs to the engine will cause more to pause than cosmetic changes that, tastefully done, can have a positive impact on a quick sale. Tastefully ,of course, is subjective and therein lies the problem.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Go ahead. Do what you want; it's reversible.

(It's probably cheaper to mod than to buy a new car.)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:44 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by fyreline
EVERY Corvette modification (interior, exterior or mechanical) makes a statement. That statement is, "I know this may decrease my car's resale value, and make it harder to sell . . . But it's my car, and I want what I want".

As long as you know and understand this going in, then feel free to make whatever changes you like. Just don't expect anyone else to necessarily see the changes you make as "enhancements", and don't expect to recover the cost of making those changes when you sell or trade the car. Keep in mind that you're doing it for you, not anyone else. That doesn't make it wrong, or a bad investment . . . If the modifications make YOU feel better about YOUR car, or let you enjoy it more, then count it as money well spent. That's all that really matters.
In part. But sometimes when changing from base parts to optional or aftermarket parts increases the value and the ability to turn a quick sale. Wheels are one of those things that work that way and the fact that it's not a permanent change makes it quite possibly the best mod to do for personal preference.

I say go for it.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

The GS is perfect the way it is on the outside. Leave it alone and save the money towards something to make it faster or just save the coin for a vacation. You will never get money back on mods. Take a look in the "Cars for sale" section here on the forum. They are full of guys expecting 30K for a 05 with 100K on the clock because it has a ugly wide body kit or a supercharger. Or 50K for a used GS with a nasty hood and wheels. Save your cash dude.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I like the wheels on the last 2 pix. They set off your otherwise black vette.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM
JTA-Vette
Instructor

Thank you all again for the great replies. For now I might just do the powdercoat and see how that turns out. I'll definitely post pictures of it when it's done, but ill put the side fenders on hold and keep saving. Since its a hard decision to make at the moment.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a Little Help Deciding!

Quick Reply: Need a Little Help Deciding!