C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light on 2013, 427

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Rajohnson
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check engine light on 2013, 427

Took the car out yesterday. Drove approximately 180 miles total. Brought it home, garaged it. Got up this morning to go get gas. On the way to the station, a message came up on the dic about the fuel cap. Pulled in to gas station, filled up, and checked the cap to see if it was secure. It was. On the way home the check engine light came on. Pulled into the garage and shut off the car. Started it up again and the light was back on. Will the system reset itself, or do I have to call the dealer to check it out. Recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:10 PM
dtown66
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have Onstar, perform a diagnostic check.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

I would wipe down the o-ring on the gas cap. Could be some dirt on it preventing a tight seal
Old 03-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Rajohnson
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I completed checking the gas cap for dirt. Didn't see anything on the towel. I even wiped around the filler neck. I then called onstar and had them do a diagnostic check on the system. Came up with no codes. The light is still on. I guess this means a trip to the dealership?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

That's a warranty item so you could have the dealer check it out and turn off the light..or go to your local auto parts store like autozone and borrow their scanner and do it yourself.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Rajohnson
Took the car out yesterday. Drove approximately 180 miles total. Brought it home, garaged it. Got up this morning to go get gas. On the way to the station, a message came up on the dic about the fuel cap. Pulled in to gas station, filled up, and checked the cap to see if it was secure. It was. On the way home the check engine light came on. Pulled into the garage and shut off the car. Started it up again and the light was back on. Will the system reset itself, or do I have to call the dealer to check it out. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi there,

If you decide to head into the dealership, let us know! Just shoot a PM with your involved dealer, VIN, mileage and contact info when you do.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I would take it in
Old 03-18-2014, 03:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The light will not go off until it has been on for a few start/run cycles...even if the problem has been fixed. The system needs to see that the condition is not intermittent before it will turn off the light, so unless you enjoy going to the dealership, just give it a few start/run cycles. And that doesn't mean starting and turning off in the garage...the car must actually be driven, warmed up etc, then shut down.

Get notified of new replies

To Check engine light on 2013, 427

Quick Reply: Check engine light on 2013, 427