C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel exchange programs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 PM
rbell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel exchange programs

I would like some input on owners that have exchanged their polished aluminum wheels for chrome replacements. My concern is that my 16k mile coupe has a perfect set of polished aluminum wheels with no curb rash, scratches and are "true" without ant vibrations.

Do I have this program correct, where they take your polished aluminum wheels, chrome them and sell them to someone else ?

How can I be assured that the replacement wheels were not repaired, straightened or previously damaged. I really like the look of chrome compared to the polished aluminum wheels.

I see many vendors advertising these exchange programs, new wheels are twice as much. Some up to $ 1,800.00 a set, compared to $850.00 for the exchanged wheels.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 PM
MGretz70
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbell
I would like some input on owners that have exchanged their polished aluminum wheels for chrome replacements. My concern is that my 16k mile coupe has a perfect set of polished aluminum wheels with no curb rash, scratches and are "true" without ant vibrations.

Do I have this program correct, where they take your polished aluminum wheels, chrome them and sell them to someone else ?

How can I be assured that the replacement wheels were not repaired, straightened or previously damaged. I really like the look of chrome compared to the polished aluminum wheels.

I see many vendors advertising these exchange programs, new wheels are twice as much. Some up to $ 1,800.00 a set, compared to $850.00 for the exchanged wheels.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Have not done an exchange so can't help you on that, but I did look into it as well and same reservations as you plus I read some of the terms of the exchange. Some of them are ridiculous, if the wheels don't meet there standards you will not get your core exchange refund, so who knows what their standards are unless you are local and can get a verbal or exchange on site. I just ended up buying new ones then sold my old ones and depending on what you can get for your old rims you shouldn't be far off if you would have exchanged them.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I did the wheel exchange for my 2010 through West Coast Corvettes. The wheels have no vibrations and look great.
You will not know if the wheels you get have been repaired or straightened. Overall I am very happy. The wheels set off the rest of the car. Also, I took my car to WCC to have them installed.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 03-16-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

I think you would have to inspect them before they were changed. You probably cannot tell a good repair that is then plated. But, you can (I did) have the installer put the bare wheel on the spin balance machine and check for run out.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel exchange programs

Quick Reply: Wheel exchange programs