C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Default Fob issue

Here is a set of circumstances that I dealt with this morning.

Being one of the few nice days we have seen here lately, I decided to drive the GS Clone to the Gym. I went to the car and the door did not open. Crap - (I had had a few problems with the door not opening with the pad but it would with the button on the fob. I figured weak battery and noted to replace) fob dead. So, as I keep several CR2032 batteries, I changed the battery. No Joy. Double crap. I went to fob 2 which hasn't been used in a couple of years at least and voila - NOTHING! OK What now. I opened the trunk with the key, pulled the lanyard and opened the door. No fob detected. I put the fob in the slot and things worked normally. So it all added up in my mind - RCDLR failure. Triple crap (they aren't cheap). Jumped in the truck and went on to the gym.

Ok, before spending money at the dealer, try some more stuff. Came back and replaced the battery in fob 2. Well, what the... Worked fine. Fob 2 battery was dead. Tried fob 1 again, still no action so I put yet another battery in fob 1 and ---- it worked.

So, the set of circumstances:

1. Fob 1 battery died. (I replaced it two years ago.)
2. Fob 1 replacement battery bad
3 Fob 2 battery dead.

How often will that happen!

Ya'll have a great day!

JD
Old 03-21-2014, 03:03 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

RCDLR failure would not at all be my first conclusion. I would bet on FOB power. Bad battery or incorrect install in the fob. Check again. The battery in the second fob could certainly be dead if you haven't tried it in years. The fact that the fob works in the slot pretty much excludes the RCDLR from consideration...it is involved in the slot also.Glad it's working now.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The FOB battery contacts are flimsy and sometimes need adjustment.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
RCDLR failure would not at all be my first conclusion. I would bet on FOB power. Bad battery or incorrect install in the fob. Check again. The battery in the second fob could certainly be dead if you haven't tried it in years. The fact that the fob works in the slot pretty much excludes the RCDLR from consideration...it is involved in the slot also.Glad it's working now.
Yep. Re read the post.

The odd set of circumstances combined to point in the wrong direction.

There was nothing wrong with the fob or the contacts. Fob 1 battery died of old age (prematurely, I might add - it was less than two years old.) AND the brand new battery that I put in the fob - from a sealed package - was also bad! The second battery I put in fob 1 worked.

Fob 2 battery was also dead but that battery was likely 3 years old. But one would expect longer life of a battery that was in a fob that has never been used to operate the vehicle. The replacement battery caused fob 2 to work now.

I don't think the slot works through the RCDLR. If it did that would be a single point of failure - which is part of the point of the slot. Perhaps we could get that researched.......
Old 03-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You were probably just holding your mouth wrong when you installed the first replacement battery in fob #1.

Seriously, I'd make it a point to remember where I bought that 1st replacement battery and I'd try not to buy any more there.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:13 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The RCDLR still has to receive the signal and decide if it will allow starting or not, so I still believe that it is involved in operation from the slot. And to be fair, there are lots of single points of failure in the C6...I just did a new harmonic balancer...LOL
Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Having only pulled apart both fobs once with the quarter and something very thin, I have no wish to ever do it again, John. I was positive that I was going to crack one or both fobs!~ I didn't. But I'm sure it was luck, not skill. Then, on each one the entire "guts" seemed t o spill out along with the battery. Oh lovely, now what?

I got it all back together, and then tried them. They worked! But if I'd had a dead, new battery, I would've really been convinced that I'd broken something, or something had fallen out that I could not see on the floor! Seriously.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Walmart sells replacement batteries in 2 per pack for a few dollars, so when I replace the batteries in one fob for any of my cars, I just replace the cars other fobs battery as well.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:26 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a cheap multimeter. Test the voltage on those batteries. If you've got 3 volts (usually even higher on a new one), the battery should be ok.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:23 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
The RCDLR still has to receive the signal and decide if it will allow starting or not, ...
When the car started with the FOB in the slot that indicated the RCDLR and slot antenna were OK. If the RCDLR is good and the buttons don't work on the FOB, that means a bad FOB. A bad FOB is a bad FOB battery 99.9% of the time. I don't know much about how button cell batteries are manufactured but my experience is they have a much higher infant mortality rate than any other battery type.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:00 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Very unusual FOB batteries should last 5 years, at least mine did. But to have one die early and the replacement being bad would drive you crazy trying to figure out what the problem is.
Anyhow glad it all worked out for you in the end.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:20 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

All's well that ends well.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

If the Fob battery is being drained down quickly, when you pull the fob apart to install the battery, you can pull the rubber panel off the front cover to clean up collected lint and goo from the buttons.

I state this since there may be debris between the buttons and the front face that is keeping one of the buttons slightly depressed, and what is causing the quick batter drain of the fob.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

between my two cars with fobs, I have noticed that the battery in the unused fob sitting in the closet dies at the same time as the fob that is used with the car...

Get notified of new replies

To Fob issue

Quick Reply: Fob issue